• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Medics for Red Orchestra

Realistic gameplay
Nope, no realistic gameplay.
The job of a field medic is not to patch you up quickly and send you back to the battlefield as soon as you stop bleeding, he is there to apply first aid, stabilize you and get you away from the battle into a hospital.
And as soon as you have recovered you may be thrown into the heat again.
Any wound small enough that lets you continue fighting does not need the attention of a medic, or at the most in between two battles to prevent infection.

The only way to realisticly implement a medic would be letting him drag/drive players in slowdeath and fatally wounded avatars to an evacuation point, but the gameplay value of this would be pretty low.

Upvote 0
K, but on bigger maps, also if we would have halftracks, I don't see the reason not to [...] come RO 2 is about realism, why not have more realism with medics.

Neither big maps, nor vehicles will change this. It is pointless to have medics on the time scale of RO2 battles and any attempt to make them less pointless will be unrealistic.

If you're so keen on joyriding on a half-empty map, go play a hunting simulator, like ArmA (it also has medics, yay!), and leave RO2 for what it is

Upvote 0
Nope, no realistic gameplay.
The job of a field medic is not to patch you up quickly and send you back to the battlefield as soon as you stop bleeding, he is there to apply first aid, stabilize you and get you away from the battle into a hospital.
And as soon as you have recovered you may be thrown into the heat again.
Any wound small enough that lets you continue fighting does not need the attention of a medic, or at the most in between two battles to prevent infection.

The only way to realisticly implement a medic would be letting him drag/drive players in slowdeath and fatally wounded avatars to an evacuation point, but the gameplay value of this would be pretty low.
I am gree with you.

It's why I talk about static position of the wounded soldier. Do you want really 15 wounded soldiers in static position during battlefield, REALLLY ?? (even on 32v32 server it will surely ruin the game !! )

Problem of RO 2 ? it's the big part of players who want to make RO 2 a COD and the big part of players who want to make RO 2 an Arma. only few part of players want to make RO 2 really a RO 2.

Ok pros and cons debate.

Pros: Realistic gameplay, implementation of bandages in a much more realistic fashion, new way to achieve experience, easy to implement, just reskin a soldier and give him a crappy loadout, with medical equipment, we already have engineers why not medics, same role as squad leader spawn, but instead you revive soldiers, it could be implemented on big maps, would work nice with a troop transporter, like a halftrack, with medic kits.

Cons: Loads of useless time for you to wait, not so many resources to implement it.

So : you will destroy the game by adding medic class.
and you will ruining squad leader class, by giving same power than SL to medic class...

it could be implemented on big maps, would work nice with a troop transporter, like a halftrack, with medic kits.

it's an error. Grenator show it.

Neither big maps, nor vehicles will change this. It is pointless to have medics on the time scale of RO2 battles and any attempt to make them less pointless will be unrealistic.

If you're so keen on joyriding on a half-empty map, go play a hunting simulator, like ArmA (it also has medics, yay!), and leave RO2 for what it is — a combat simulator.

Even with big maps or vehicules, the problem is not solved. WHY ? ...just because RO 2 have not the gameplay of Arma. And nothing will make RO 2 will have Arma gameplay or the opposite : nothing will make Arma will have gameplay of RO 2. (even with a lot of big maps or a lot of vehicules...)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I've read on an old thread, apart from being too hard to implement and unrealistic, medics didnt use to come out in stalingrad fights since they were quite brutal.....

Thinking about other teamplay stuff however is accepted, such as ammo carriers who drop ammo boxes containing ammo/nades? That would be plausible, and quite nice. Of course you could be able to choose to do this or not since it would impair movement.

Upvote 0
Do we even play the same game!?

RO is, truth be told, semi realistic at best, and completely arcade most of the time.

So these "it's not realistic" arguments don't hold water since even the core game isn't.

The actual reason this wouldn't work is that RO is too fast paced. Why wait for a medic when you can die and get back in the fight in 15 seconds.

Otherwise as a mechanic it would be quite nice given that dying would cost you at least a minute of getting back to the frontline if not more.
^^^what he said. i can see it on a game of countdown. not in any other mode.

Upvote 0
Do we even play the same game!?

Do we even use the same language? Find ten differences between "combat" and "combat simulator" first, then ask this question.

Otherwise as a mechanic it would be quite nice given that dying would cost you at least a minute of getting back to the frontline if not more.

Ach, another S&M fan. Why just a minute? Why not walk and dig three days and then die in a second? Or better yet, why not make you repeat the tutorial each time you die: the bloody soldier needs training first, doesn't he?

Upvote 0
Victhor. Lets play a game. I shoot you in the stomach with a Mosin. Now you wait for a medic. The medic arrives. He spends 30 minutes minimum to stop the bleeding. You are unconscious. Now you get in a lorry. It drives you 20 Km behind lines. You board a train back to Berlin for extensive medical care. 2 months later, you rejoin the front line, only to find the battle over.

This is the single WORST idea that TWI could implement. I understand it's realistic, but even the history and realism buffs understand that some ideas literally make no sense. And if you "streamline" the medic class, it would make the game full blown retarded. Super Medics healing people at alarming rates? No. If RO2 ever saw the medic class, I would find the people who implemented it, run them through with a bayonet and tell them to fix it with their precious medic class. I think the bandage system should be removed completely and have a higher ratio of fatal shots.

Upvote 0
Victhor. Lets play a game. I shoot you in the stomach with a Mosin. Now you wait for a medic. The medic arrives. He spends 30 minutes minimum to stop the bleeding. You are unconscious. Now you get in a lorry. It drives you 20 Km behind lines. You board a train back to Berlin for extensive medical care. 2 months later, you rejoin the front line, only to find the battle over.

I would rather die and respawn. Seriously, if this was implemented and I saw a medic coming to help, I'd run away or I'd just type suicide in the console to respawn.

Upvote 0
Another thing you need to think through is that RO2 simulates assaults en mass. There are always 64 players on the field attacking or defending. Although, if the medic class would be introduced and the entire teams would get mowed down, there would only be 10 people out of 64 running on the battlefield while the rest would be "combat ineffective" until a medic arrived. I imagine the reinforcement timer would have been increased to a minute or more, otherwise, it would destroy the whole idea of medics in the game. But that would still lead to entire teams getting killed and few soldiers remaining who can easily break through the lines with minimal resistance and capture some of the points before reinforcements would arrive. It would easily be one sided if there are any good players.

Anyway, enough of these medic ideas! They are NOT for RO. No arguments will work because RO wasn't built with medics in mind.

Upvote 0
Do we even use the same language? Find ten differences between "combat" and "combat simulator" first, then ask this question.
As far as I know to simulate means to make it as close to the real thing as possible. It would be more appropriate to brand RO2 as tactical shooter than a combat simulator.

Ach, another S&M fan. Why just a minute? Why not walk and dig three days and then die in a second? Or better yet, why not make you repeat the tutorial each time you die: the bloody soldier needs training first, doesn't he?
Why drive my argument ad absurdum? Was just pointing out how the mechanic would make any sense, as it clearly doesn't fit in RO.

Upvote 0
As far as I know to simulate means to make it as close to the real thing as possible. It would be more appropriate to brand RO2 as tactical shooter than a combat simulator.

Why drive my argument ad absurdum? Was just pointing out how the mechanic would make any sense, as it clearly doesn't fit in RO.

Ok RO 2 is tactical shooter. it's a tactical shooter more than a combat simulator.

Do you REALLY want tactical shooter who will have on 32v32 server 10-15 soldiers in static position waiting medic ??? Do you understand ? What medic mean ? it's mean static position for wounded soldiers. It will ruin the gameplay of RO 2. It's worst idea than bandage.

This kind of tactical shooter (or combat simulator) is only fun for medic player...

Upvote 0
On the battlefield soldier need to be alive or dead.

This is totally wrong. Wounded soldiers pays a great role in a battlefield. Actually, a wounded enemy is much more valuable than a dead enemy.

Snipers are actually instructed to aim at the legs or lower torso of the targets. You know why? Because killing an enemy will just take out one enemy soldier. If you leave him wounded and incapacitated, you will take away two or more enemy soldiers out of the battlefield. Someone will need to stop fighting to help the wounded guy. If the soldier was wounded in an open area, they will need to take one or more combatants out of the cover to rescue him. Plus, the screams and moans of a wounded soldier can seriously damage the morale of the entire squad.

Medic roles CAN work great on RO2, but not how as it is getting suggested so far. Here is my proposition:

The "medic" system:
No Medic class. Anyone with at least one remaining bandage can be a "medic". To heal a wounded player, you need to spend 4 to 6 seconds putting pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. You will become completely vulnerable while doing it. If the wounded player is on a dangerous open area that will put yourself in danger, you can choose to drag the wounded player to somewhere safer. If you don't have a bandage left, you will still be able to drag the wounded player.

The "wounded" system:
Players can bandage wounds on the arms, and small wounds caused by pistols or submachineguns in the legs, but getting shot in the leg by a rifle or machinegun, getting hit by the farthest area of an explosion, or getting hit by any gun on a region on the torso that will not damage any vital organs, will leave the player grievously wounded.
The grievously wounded player will lay down in the ground, moaning and screaming. Respawn time will be counting and he will still be able to access the "limbo menu", to select spawn point and change role. At any moment he can select a "give up" option to just close the eyes and die, or a "wait for rescue" option to continue struggling to survive for 15 more seconds after the respawn time ends.

How can this be useful to the gameplay?

It may get a player back to action faster.
When somebody dies, it usually takes around 20 seconds to respawn, and more 15 or 20 seconds to get back into the combat zone if there is no squad leader alive and the map is very big. So, in the worst case scenario, it can take up to 40 seconds for the player to get back into action if he dies.
With this system, it can take like around 5-10 seconds for a friendly player to reach the wounded soldier, and other 4-6 seconds to heal him. This would make him get back into action in 10-15 seconds. That is a huge increase of gameplay pace if comparead with the 40 seconds in the worst scenario.

Saving manpower resources.
Also, it will become a very useful tactic at the end of the rounds, when the reinforcements are depleted, and every life counts. It will make final battles much more dramatic and immersible.

Upvote 0
Snipers are actually instructed to aim at the legs or lower torso of the targets. You know why? Because killing an enemy will just take out one enemy soldier. If you leave him wounded and incapacitated, you will take away two or more enemy soldiers out of the battlefield. Someone will need to stop fighting to help the wounded guy. If the soldier was wounded in an open area, they will need to take one or more combatants out of the cover to rescue him. Plus, the screams and moans of a wounded soldier can seriously damage the morale of the entire squad.

Watch less 'Nam movies (especially that stupid FMJ scene). The wounded would only be helped after the immediate contact with the enemy is over, i.e. during the time that the game doesn't cover.

The "wounded" system:
Players can bandage wounds on the arms, and small wounds caused by pistols or submachineguns in the legs, but getting shot in the leg by a rifle or machinegun, getting hit by the farthest area of an explosion, or getting hit by any gun on a region on the torso that will not damage any vital organs, will leave the player grievously wounded.
The grievously wounded player will lay down in the ground, moaning and screaming. Respawn time will be counting and he will still be able to access the "limbo menu", to select spawn point and change role. At any moment he can select a "give up" option to just close the eyes and die, or a "wait for rescue" option to continue struggling to survive for 15 more seconds after the respawn time ends.

Once again: if you are wounded so badly that bandaging yourself won't help ("moaning and screaming", another movie fetish), you CANNOT return to battle within the scale of RO2. Such wounds CANNOT be treated or healed in 30-40 minutes.

Combat medics don't have superglue that binds humans and healing-laser guns. All that they do is assess if the wounded is worth taking to the nearest (regimental or batallion) field hospital or not, and make sure he doesn't die of shock en route.

A trip to hospital means that you're out at least for DAYS, and that you're effectively DEAD for the game.

Upvote 0

Define 'close'. And cite a closer one.

Because it wouldn't work. All this 'penalising' is gamey and makes infantry combat (particularly assaults) less realistic.

Upvote 0
This is how the medic class should work.

You get injured, say a good leg or arm shot. The medic spots you and they help you back to the spawn zone.

There you wait for a period of time. Say about 30 mins for transport back to the supply lines. There you get some basic treatment before being shipped further back the line.

At this point you can no longer play RO2 until your wound has healed to a point where you are able to walk or fire a weapon without endangering yourself or your team mates.

Medic class is silly.

Upvote 0