• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Maps, an opinion

Strategy - we need to get past this house to progress to next part.
Tactic1 - approach house to the front with petrol can. Pour petrol over the house. Throw in match.
Tactic2 - approach house to the east with petrol can. Pour petrol over the house. Throw in match.
Tactic5 - just walk around the house
Tactic6 - dig a tunnel under the house

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What do we want a 'game' or a replication of infantry combat of the era?

" As a gamer I simply don't like to spawn and walk for 75 to 120 seconds to arrive to my objective to get shot and walk the same distance again." (Drecks)

But in the same sentence you can also state how as a gamer you run straight at an objective, die, respawn, repeat. Where within the 75-120 seconds with a map better drawn for more infantry maneuver maybe, you would not have to run 15sec, die, respawn, repeat, repeat..... and 'kill' the same amount of time.

I as an ex infantryman I understand the relationship between time and maneuver, even on the narrow maps if I am maneuvering to the flanks, some shots come my way, lay in cover, don't move or 'peek', and with the average attention span of a gamer, I can resume movement in 15-20 sec as the shooter that 'saw' me is now far more interested in someone else. I may be a far worse threat, but that 'kill count' is all that matters.

Transports are NOT the end all answer to maneuver, as we used to say "Moving foxholes attract attention."

Upvote 0
As much as I've read the various threads @ transports, I haven't to my knowledge seen if spawn on SL will remain active with them in game as I assume it will. Making transports less important if players take advantage of that "feature".

On a large map, it'll be even more important for a SL to sit in a safe place near the cap magically transporting his squad back into battle. Not how I'd like to see the role played, but what I would also do in his shoes. If it was me, I'd get near the cap on the flanks and leapfrog from one safe place to another.

I'd hope SoSL would be turned off and spawns placed far away to make using transports the most attractive option. I like having to get my butt back to the front, it adds tension to the experience.

Upvote 0
I just remembered another limitation to using more "realistic" tactics and that is the dreaded round timer. I can't tell you how many times I've been playing a map that has been cut short because team A didn't capture the first objective quickly enough. Then there is also the overall time per-map which is pre-set by the level designer that invariably prevents your team from capping the final objective.

BTW-someone please chime in on this if they know more about how this works from the server side

Upvote 0
Yes, that 'lockdown' and total time constraint is an issue on large maps. I do not get to upset, in TRW you also have times you must meet on a mission to call it successful.

In DH the transports leaving just as you spawn was an issue, people grinching all the time about it. Then when transport was abandoned out there as everyone got out, just meant it sat there till destroyed, only then to respawn in the rear for the next group of troops. One of our tactics was last guy out threw a grenade in the back to get it to the rear in a faster respawn.

'Lockdown' should go in many situations, some it is needed as a good defense the attacker is hosed. Also the total inability to recapture CAP's once the 'two' in the series are captured is idiotic. A CAP 40m away I can no longer attack and capture with no enemy in it, because the enemy took both K and J for example.

Upvote 0
I very much agree with the sentiment. RO, however, lacks all... Let's call it "gameplay infrastructure", for such a thing to be possible.
For the sake of comparison, let's look at tactical FPS games that allow far greater freedom of maneuver, such as the Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2. This mod features maps that are several square kilometers in size, with cap zones as far as 800 meters apart. Of course they had to figure out some way to handle respawning to prevent battles from devolving merely into quick, small skirmishes and very long waiting times between them.
The solution was to make spawning player driven rather than map driven:

-At the squad level players can deploy a "Rally Point". This game object substitutes squad leader spawning, whom can finally lead the squad instead of securely hiding in a ditch to allow for squad spawning to take place. Of course there are limitations such as how far from the nearest objective can the RP be deployed and so on.

-At the team level we have Forward Observation Bases, or FOBs in short. These game objects take time to be deployed, as they require the collaboration of several players: They have to be transported from base in a designed logistics vehicle, deployed by a Squad Leader and then built by several grunts with shovels. Other objects can be built the same way, such as .50 caliber machineguns, AT missile launchers, bunkers, barbed wire and so on, thus giving players the opportunity to influence the battlefield by deploying strongpoints, which of course can also be attacked and destroyed. It also goes without saying that rarely any two matches play out the same way.

Now, on to the chain of command.
One key difference from RO is that Squad leaders retain control of squads. Squads are not simply slots that wait to be filled, but any player can create one. They can also lock it to prevent people from joining it or they can kick players who don't cooperate. The amount of people in the squad influences which roles can be taken, for example having a machinegunner means that your squad has at the very least four people in it, same with deploying a Rally Point. While this may not sound too good in theory, in practice it creates for the most part functional, cohesive squads.

The in-game map plays a key role, as contact reports can be given by squad leaders and appear on it for everyone to see. Squad membrs can also clearly see order markers on it, while commanders can give orders to squads by using it. What the mod was missing was spontaneous interaction between squads and players, which was made possible with an Mumble, external voice chat program now automatically launched with the game, that allows for 3D voice chat that anybody can hear as well as long range communication between squad leaders.

A very similar concept is being pursued by the Tactical Battlefield mod for ArmA 3. Now, if it wasn't so damn hard to mod this game and get people to play the mods... ;)

Upvote 0
Look at Yakovlevo, I used mulitple terrains with no problems (as long as they don't cast shadows on eachother). Yet as stated, this adds to the file size. Keeping the draw calls under 2000 was the hard part, and means fewer detail meshes. With my abandoned RSTE-Makin this was the death blow because the landscape was a large flat island and no way to seperate the battlefield to limit draw calls.

Next generation of video cards my solve the draw call limits. Heck, back in the Unreal 99 days a map with 200+ BSP polygons visible at any time was almost uplayable by the masses. A lot has happened in the last 15 years, chances are we'll have to wait another 15 for Epic battlefields that take literally years and an army of level designers to build.

sorry, it's a little bit off topic, but...

On my map is one critical point (on a small hill, where you can overlook the whole map), where the draw calls exceed 2000 (2180 or so). Is this a problem or just not optimal? I could make the terrain flat in this area, but don't really want to, because there is a spawn area behind that hill...

Upvote 0