• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Map - Work in progress

Hey all,
I've finally decided to show some shots of my 'first' map I've been picking away at for the past 2-3 weeks. The running title is "RO-Germantown", but it didn't come out as a town as I originally sketched. Instead it came to be mainly bunkers.
I'm still tweaking things out, I think I may make it a bit darker. I feel it to be sometimes 'too' empty in certin areas, as you may be able to tell from the screens. Any ideas/comments/suggestions/questions you can generate from the screens, I would be greatly obliged! :)

Thanks,
UncleJess

http://filexoom.com/files/6262/RO-GermanBunker%20B1.7z

-----

http://filexoom.com/files/6262/RO-GermanBunker_B2.rom.7z - Beta 2
*Added Forrest brush
*Removed snipers altogether
*Objectives are captured in order
*Moved some of the German spawns outside
*Removed ammo supply due to it never shutting off (any ideas why?)

-----

http://filexoom.com/files/6262/RO-GermanBunker_B3.7z
*More forrest brush
*Added a ladder exit for bunker
*Some terrain tweaks, and reforms
*Added anti-portals
*Fixed blocking volumes
*Tweaked some light settings (including the red light seen above bunker entrance)
*Fixed sizes of objectives (made them smaller)

Last edited:
I like the overcast and rain. The slope of the ground is done nicely, I can believe its real.

As a suggestion only, instead of using so many vehicles and crashed planes on the ground as cover, maybe use rocks, tree stumps, fallen trees (as if done in by arty) as cover instead of some of the vehicles in all the open areas.

I will have to see some bigger pictures to get a better feel for it, but your map does have good potential. :D

Upvote 0
My videocard is broken so i use a cheap replacement so i can't really check graphics.

But the forest seems to need some more little bushes and stuff it feels kinda empty.

And the water on my comp was the bubble texture, dunno if its cause of my vidcard or not though.

Some comments i picked up when the server was getting filled.

The fighting isn't really centered, maybe locking some objectives till others are capped?

And above all plz lock some classes on a 32 players server more than half the people of each team were snipers :\

Kovzac: cant find entrance to bunker :|
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: you just did
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: strange thing is, thats our spawn
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: maybe try to channel the action a bit more
> Strategicmeatbag: i think map is excellent

> Drude.kuovi: arad bug on the grass
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: mapflow is a bit, euh, strange
> Kovzac: cant find entrance to bunker :|
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: you just did
> [DonD]Monkwarrior: strange thing is, thats our spawn
q_botmid.gif

Most people seem to like your map :), it probably needs loadout and gameplay fixes :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, I tried playing this from the German point of view. Within two minutes or less, the Russians were throwing satchels and 'nades into the entrance/exit of the underground bunker. Germans were lined up 5 to 10 waiting to get out and couldn't. Hopeless slaughter = no fun.

If there is another exit from the bunker, I missed it. If there really is only the one, you definately, need another one.

***Edit*** I played it some more, and as long as the Germans can get outside the Bunker, it is ok. I would still suggest two entrances/exits though if it weren't too much trouble.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice map.

* The light is a bit weird in some places, as if there are invisible lamps. It makes the map special, but also a bit unreal.
* Make sure there are several spawn-exits.
* You might wanna play a bit with the number of cap-areas which can be capped at the same time. Try to channel the action a bit: maybe 2 cap-areas active at the same time.

Most important: what kind of gameflow did you have in mind and is the current setup promoting that gameflow ?

Looking forward to an updated version :)

Monk.

Upvote 0
Hrmm

Hrmm

Moe: In the latest version I removed ammo supplies because it seems once you resupply once, it never shuts off. I have no idea what was causing it so I took it out in Beta 2. Are you playing the Beta2?

Monk: There are some lights where I didn't add a lamp yet :(. I will throw in a few more exits in the underground bunkers. The latest beta (2) should have controlled objectives.

Overall I was hoping that the fight would be stuck in the middle, around the farm house, and that the russians would have a hard time pushing forward, though not impossible of course. Well, back to tweaking!

Upvote 0
A report from one of our regulars;

If one is on top of the bunker, the red interior light illuminates the player outside on the roof. Also, in the West Forest near the back of the area there is an invisible walled box that once entered you can not get out. You can tell if you found it because your screen starts to stutter then boom you're inside you have to self destruct to get out. You can stand on the mound in the rear and cap thje bunker without entering. Otherwise the map played great it was a lot of fun.

Upvote 0