• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make medic not useless

Rather than have the heals override the weakest heal, I'd like to see them stack instead. If the magic juice makes everything better, wouldn't double the magic juice make everything even more better?

There's been a couple times where a player comes running up to me and sometimes another medic with next to no health and we have to take turns healing him or wait for his spammed self-heal to follow through before we can heal him.

If they stacked, that'd make being a medic much more effective when there's more than one. As a level three medic, I can often heal the entire group of six people on my own, which creates a lot of competition between medics, especially ones trying to level their perk. Usually, the second medic wanders off and rambos or changes perks because I'm just squeezing them out of the business, so to speak, and there's not much they can do.

Upvote 0
If the magic juice makes everything better, wouldn't double the magic juice make everything even more better?

I'm pretty sure drugs don't work that way.

That's not even mentioning the gameplay problems with stacking heals--ie: the potential for virtual invulnerability.

I think stronger heals overriding weaker ones is the best as far as gameplay goes.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, they would only have to fix the syringe bug and make it override lesser heals to make the medic perfect.
Good point.

Or make it possible to queue a second (no more!) healing, perhaps only if applied by a medic.

Maybe let the syringe do damage over time to specimen (not much; perhaps for medics only).
So even if you know you're dying because you have the syringe ready and not a weapon, while surprisingly facing a scrake or FP, you know that you "helped" the team a little bit in your last seconds... :eek:

In my opinion, the medic perk is very useful, if the teamplay is right.
As often encounterd in "random teams", players often split up, making it even more difficult to heal effectivly.
If the team sets up a "frontline", the medic has the oppertunity to unfold his full potenial form the "second line".
It's although essential that the other players have fate in the medic. Runing away scared while down to under 50% heath, making it difficult for the medic and leaving a big hole in the defence, may screw the whole team.

Upvote 0
Good point.

Or make it possible to queue a second (no more!) healing, perhaps only if applied by a medic.

Maybe let the syringe do damage over time to specimen (not much; perhaps for medics only).
So even if you know you're dying because you have the syringe ready and not a weapon, while surprisingly facing a scrake or FP, you know that you "helped" the team a little bit in your last seconds... :eek:

In my opinion, the medic perk is very useful, if the teamplay is right.
As often encounterd in "random teams", players often split up, making it even more difficult to heal effectivly.
If the team sets up a "frontline", the medic has the oppertunity to unfold his full potenial form the "second line".
It's although essential that the other players have fate in the medic. Runing away scared while down to under 50% heath, making it difficult for the medic and leaving a big hole in the defence, may screw the whole team.

Medic perk is fine. It's the idiots that play it without healing others, or running at the first sign of trouble that make it appear useless.
I know I've kept many a pug from falling to pieces just by keeping on everyone and healing them (When they have the sense to sit still. After a couple of times I save their arses, they generally calm down and sit still when they know I'm, coming). I love being able to choose from virtually any weapon and use it to decent effect, as it feels like I'm not tied down to any one weapon, or weapon type.

Considering all the time I put into my firebug to get em to level 5, I've learned how to not light myself up with the flame thrower, and found that it can actually work amazing with the medic (as you can set things on fire and outrun them till they die, or lay down the pain when needed), as well as the xbow, or a bullpup/shottie/axe combo.

Medic is fine. Just fix that wee healing bug (allow our more powerful heal to take priority) use some teamwork as the gentleman above supplied, and it's all good.

Upvote 0
If everyone on your team can play intelligently there is just no need for a medic. Either the other perks need to be nerfed when it comes to self heals, or the medic needs to be more useful. All the medic does is drop valuable dps. If you're needing to heal more then once every minute or two you are doing something wrong. A stim pack type buff would be neat, or a small body armor regen on heal, or an ammo regen on heal. Anything to make them more useful to the team besides faster/better heals. Because having to heal more then 20 at one time means your team sucks.

Upvote 0
Medic is fine, he heals great and makes the team last longer. The only useless perk is commando and he's getting an AK soon.
IMO, People really should add an IMO before saying things suck or are worthless. IMO saying things suck or are worthless suck and are worthless. :cool:
A properly used pup can decap anything < scrakes with a burst or two (that hits). Others can be downed by a steady spray of lead(that hits), especially at l5.
It is excellent (for the losers ;-) who get held by a clot and then more and more: spin and spray is the best way to get out of the kumbaya moment I've discovered.
The ability to see health bars (not very realistic, and one might say, don't really "fit." But I like 'em) is great in many circumstances. Seeing them above tall grass and behind other cover helps a lot. I like seeing cloaked things (cough Pat cough) and knowing how easy it will be for him to kill me when I see his health bar.

And once I even got thru wave 1 of MosEisley w/o a reload.

I've seen posts saying almost every perk sucks.
But just because one person can't succeed or enjoy the role doesn't mean other people can't.

Full disclosure: I play on normal and thus am a member of the vagina monologues cast :(

cx

Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure drugs don't work that way.

That's not even mentioning the gameplay problems with stacking heals--ie: the potential for virtual invulnerability.

I think stronger heals overriding weaker ones is the best as far as gameplay goes.

I'm pretty sure drugs don't heal cuts from a chainsaw either.
This game is not realistic. Not even as realistic as the movies that inspired it. Even Bruce Willis would die in a movie like this.
I can easily give ten or more reasons off the top of my head why any reference to realism is IMO meaningless.

But WhoTF cares? I love playing it. It's the teamwork and even camaraderie that make it worth playing. Tactics and other things are great, but secondary.
Ever died helping some who then survives?

cx

Upvote 0
It requires:
-A well co-ordinate team, which mainly ppl just jump-in and opt-out doesn't have.
-good hand, or a good skill, which isn't very common.

But u're right, commando is a very cool class to play. Maybe that's why they give it the stalker requirement. Mine was lv 4, and I'm waiting for the ak to finish it.

I agree... I was waiting for the OLD stalker count to get high enough. Then, a patch, and I'm way past L5. Do you ever get the feeling that stalkers avoid commandos? Maybe they sense we can see 'em.

cx

Upvote 0
If everyone on your team can play intelligently there is just no need for a medic. Either the other perks need to be nerfed when it comes to self heals, or the medic needs to be more useful. All the medic does is drop valuable dps. If you're needing to heal more then once every minute or two you are doing something wrong. A stim pack type buff would be neat, or a small body armor regen on heal, or an ammo regen on heal. Anything to make them more useful to the team besides faster/better heals. Because having to heal more then 20 at one time means your team sucks.

Would you mind if I friend you?
I would like to spectate your team play. I can't get past wave 1 or 2 on hard, with pickup teams. NO sarcasm here... I'd really like to see a tight team play.

regards,
cx

Upvote 0
I would like to spectate your team play. I can't get past wave 1 or 2 on hard, with pickup teams. NO sarcasm here... I'd really like to see a tight team play.

regards,
cx

Sure thing. Although i don't have a "team." I just PUG and i have a few close friends that i roll with. Never seen the need to actually form a team.

Upvote 0
I agree... I was waiting for the OLD stalker count to get high enough. Then, a patch, and I'm way past L5. Do you ever get the feeling that stalkers avoid commandos? Maybe they sense we can see 'em.

cx
they don't seem to avoid me i have had the game for roughly 2 weeks and am already 9 stalkers away lvl 4 i have found it is all about positioning be at the front of your team and they will come to you and when the heavy stuff comes just run back and let your team deal with it. I have had groups of 4+ stalkers come at me and i have just loaded a new mag in

Upvote 0
they don't seem to avoid me i have had the game for roughly 2 weeks and am already 9 stalkers away lvl 4 i have found it is all about positioning be at the front of your team and they will come to you and when the heavy stuff comes just run back and let your team deal with it. I have had groups of 4+ stalkers come at me and i have just loaded a new mag in

lol

lv4 commando is not even close to half the requirement for lv5

asfor stalkers I dont see the problem in them, I ve got 2k more than needed for lv5, damage is more of an issue really

Upvote 0

regards,
cx

LoL?

No teamwork is needed for wave 1 on any difficulty at all. It's mostly used to scavenge for ammo boxes and weapons with only the gorefast being dangerous.

Wave 2 isn't much harder. Just staying together is more than enough to make it through this wave.

I only play with pickup groups (on hard/suicidal) and the only real things that make it really difficult are newbies and rambos who are completely clueless.

Upvote 0
LoL?

No teamwork is needed for wave 1 on any difficulty at all. It's mostly used to scavenge for ammo boxes and weapons with only the gorefast being dangerous.

Wave 2 isn't much harder. Just staying together is more than enough to make it through this wave.

I only play with pickup groups (on hard/suicidal) and the only real things that make it really difficult are newbies and rambos who are completely clueless.

Well, bully for you. Your l33tness leaves me weeping into my lilac-scented, lotion fortified pink (I know, doesn't match the lilac theme, but pink is just scrumptious, don't ya think?) weeping facial tissue.
And I am glad you imparted such impressive information that you only play hard/suicidal. But if you're so suicidal, why pussy down to hard? Just to lord it over the lesser humans? While you hope no-one brushes against you and slimes you with their suckishness.
The only thing that screws up my game is people too stupid to tell me what's wrong with this proof:

Theorem:
0 = 1
Proof:
1^1 = 1^0
1 ln 1 = 0 ln 1
1 = 0
Q.E.D

People who can't figger this out are destined to saying "Would you like fries with that?" for eternity.

Thank goodness that you is you and not me.

cx

Last edited:
Upvote 0