• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Mafia II - Megathread

Mafia was one of the best PC games i have played. It had an excellent story, great graphics, big city to drive around that changed with the times as the story progressed and it had a challenging difficulty level.

Illusion was a great developer, but unfortunately as most things go, they have been swallowed up by one of the bigger publishers out there. So are we going to get a decent game or just the usual watered down, console friendly, DRM riddled ****e that makes up pretty much every game released now days?

Hopefully it will contain substance, as Illusion are good at creating that. But have 2K learned from Bioshock regarding the DRM?

Upvote 0
I hope they have smoothed out the difficulty curve a bit this time, Mafia could be a tad.. frustratingly hard at times, and not allways in the "ohh yay, im getting challenged!" sort of way, often it was the "WHAT!?!? HOW? WHY?! this is impossible.." sort of way.
Really? The only level I had trouble with was the stupid racing car one.

Upvote 0
Really? The only level I had trouble with was the stupid racing car one.

The race car one is definately the first that comes to mind, i ended up saying "this is not even fun anymore, its just a grind, why am i doing this!? thats it, im looking for a cheat or something to ge me through this mission", but Mafia had its fair share of missions with a very restrictive mission timer and the like.

The worst of them however was the ones in the free ride mode, or whatever it was called, some of thouse where just impossible, they wheren't fun, just hard for the sake of hard, they really where something you just had to grind your way through.

I like a challenge, but it should never stop feeling fun, a good mission is one where, even if you don't beat it, you had fun trying, Mafia didn't allways get that right..

Upvote 0
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/44435.html

Christmas Confessions trailer.

From the looks of the trailers seen so far (and if this is ingame quality) then the game looks to be shaping up fine. Now if only it hadnt got health regeneration...
If the game turns out to be great, that is really going to kill me, because i'm not spending my hard-earned money on a game that's kiddy-like easy to play.

Upvote 0
It is ingame footage:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56774

The extended trailer was accompanied by a letter from lead animator Tomas Hrebicek, in which he explains that the trailer was rendered using actual game assets in the real-time cutscene editor, and does not contain any postproduction effects.
Hi my name is Tomas Hrebicek, Lead Animator at 2K Czech, and I'm here to give you an overview of the Mafia II trailer that you are about to experience.

We've been receiving a lot of questions about whether or not the trailer was real-time and I'm here to clear the air. It really was. All the scenes were completely created in our editor the same way we create cutscenes for the game. Our cutscene editor is a very powerful tool. Besides, we can see it all real-time which makes our work a lot easier. There was absolutely no need to modify the resulting video in the postproduction.

Because everything was created solely in our editor, only our in-game scenes and models were used. So what you see here is great representation of the quality of work that you will see throughout Mafia II. Of course, this is not the end yet, and frame rate and other technical issues are still being tweaked in order to have the game working smoothly on all the platforms we create it for.

The common theme found in the trailer is the same common theme found throughout the entirety of Mafia II; strong interpersonal relationships. Of course, when playing you will experience all kinds of shootouts, car chases, and fights, but what I think is the most important is to identify yourselves with the main character and those close to him. Every single thing you do in the game causes a corresponding reaction. And it is only up to you what you do.

In the trailer, the relations are hinted at in the church sequence. However, we would not really like to reveal any more important facts; you have to experience it yourself with Vito from the beginning to the end.

I would like to emphasize that the game has a very dark humorous side to it. It definitely is not a superficial comedy. The story as such is quite varied so you could look forward also to a true, mafia atmosphere and strong emotions of all kinds. I can't wait to see the first players actually play it.

I'm very excited to see the reaction of this trailer. Over the coming months, you will have plenty to look forward to in the way of Mafia II. In the meantime, please enjoy this trailer and look forward to more in-depth behind-the-scenes coverage next week!

Upvote 0
Laugh or cry? I dunno.

What i meant was the game for example having a great story, atmospherics is really great, and is generally very immersive.
The moment i get into a firefight, duck, and immediately get my health back, all of that is going to be ruined for me. I have played more then enough games in which this happened to me.
So for a game to have health regeneration (as dev's already stated it will have) is an instant turn-off for me. But i loved the original Mafia, so ofcourse i want to play the sequel.. just not with health regeneration, so it'll be a thorn in my eye for a long time to come.

Upvote 0
What i meant was the game for example having a great story, atmospherics is really great, and is generally very immersive.
The moment i get into a firefight, duck, and immediately get my health back, all of that is going to be ruined for me. I have played more then enough games in which this happened to me.
So for a game to have health regeneration (as dev's already stated it will have) is an instant turn-off for me. But i loved the original Mafia, so ofcourse i want to play the sequel.. just not with health regeneration, so it'll be a thorn in my eye for a long time to come.
I see your point.

But look sometimes you have to make your own solution: I beat the first mafia without being hit. Meaning that I had to get through the level with an intact full helath and that if I got shot at I restarted the mission for realism's sake. For instance, when Paulie got shot in the rainy barn mission, it was a big deal and you had to bring him to a doctor to get stitched up so Tommy being able to take 3 to 5 bullets like it was nothing was killing the vibe for me.

It was a pain in the *** playing like this on some missions, especially the Salieri setup in the restaurant and the parking ones. I was kind of an extremist sometimes, I don't think I have that same amount of patience still.

Upvote 0