• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Machine Gun functionality

You have some good points about making the mg a useful class on the battlefield, but I totally disagree with your suggestion about the maps. The maps should be as realistic as possible to what the real people might have fought in. In real life two enemies didn't meet and then say, "Wait guys, we can't fight here: there aren't any choke points for our mgs!"

Upvote 0
Wolfsglen said:
Good MGers make and find good MG points, they dont ask for them to be built :D

Most of the fellas i know who seem to own it up with MGs rarely use the obvious places that everyone expects to find an MG in, they all find their "own" little spots and wreak havoc.

That only works untill everyone is using those new spots then the good MGers need to find new spots. After a couple of months they start to use the obvious spots they used the first week after the release because now those spots are so obvious that no one looks there because the spot is so obvious only n00bs would use that spot. And so it rotates :D

(man I will not be surprised if no one understands this post I hardly understand it and I wrote it :rolleyes: )

Upvote 0
Piemaster said:
You have some good points about making the mg a useful class on the battlefield, but I totally disagree with your suggestion about the maps. The maps should be as realistic as possible to what the real people might have fought in. In real life two enemies didn't meet and then say, "Wait guys, we can't fight here: there aren't any choke points for our mgs!"
If you would bother to read more of what I said you would understand that I am not saying there need to be predetermined choke points. I clearly said that narrower, deeper maps with linear objectives will cause more intense games with more natural pressure points than the wide, lateral objective maps that diffuse the fighting across too wide an area where you end up with lots of small isolatesd firefights, rather than a battlefield with potentials for breakthroughs and penetrations of a defensive line with the chance for counterattacks.

But if you want to go on believing I'm talking about a carbon copy of DoD, go right ahead.

Reading comperehension ftw!

Upvote 0
On MG's: I agree that using the iron sights while deployed should be optional. No real reason not to have it. Also, I think the zoom durring IS should be optional for all weapons (ie click once for IS with no zoom, click again for zoom).

On pop-up shooters: I think the problem is multi-part...
1) instantaneousness; in real life you don't just 'pop up', it takes a second to get down and get up
2) I think the stability is dependant on the speed at which you do it; I highly doubt you can keep your sights in the exact same position while bolting up from a crouch, or crouching quickly, as when avoiding incoming fire. However, I can easily picture someone slowly rising from a crouch and keeping it perfectly steady. I don't know if adding 2 crouch speeds is really necessary, but it's something to think about

Upvote 0
You are right, there are a bunh of maps like that, and they do make for better games. I am talking in general here.

In fact, it looks like the new Konigplatz is gonna kick some ass!

I was mostly thinking of some of the earlier maps and how they diffused the fighting across lateral objectives. I also think that map design was only part of the problem for MG's, and in some ways, a small part with pop up rail gun rifles being the major problem.

Like I said, I wasn't asking for DoD maps, just that there are some good things about them conceptually.

Sheesh...never mention the word DoD to people...they stop listening to everything else you say! lol :D

Upvote 0
radix said:
No... no zoom. The ww2 soldiers doesn't have superman eyez.
Perhaps you've misunderstood...I'm talking about the zookm that allready happens in the mod version of RO when you go to IS; it's not a big zoom, but it is an increase over the hipped POV. What I'm saying is...you should be able to stay WITHOUT the zoom if you want to, for better peripheal vision, instead of being forced into a constricted FOV whenever you aim.

Upvote 0
GnaM said:
Perhaps you've misunderstood...I'm talking about the zookm that allready happens in the mod version of RO when you go to IS; it's not a big zoom, but it is an increase over the hipped POV. What I'm saying is...you should be able to stay WITHOUT the zoom if you want to, for better peripheal vision, instead of being forced into a constricted FOV whenever you aim.
What zoom? There's the kind of grayed-out thing on the edges, but the view doesn't zoom in at all.

Ignore the thing that moves over on the left, that's a bot trying to drive a tank.

Upvote 0
GnaM said:
The FOV remains the same and the edges gray out like Moe_Rahn said.

There simply is no zoom.

Upvote 0
GnaM said:

Wtf are you on about :confused:

Upvote 0
A trained rifleman can eyeball a target from a crouch, then stand and shoulder the rifle in one smooth movement, with the sights automatically aligning with the target. At most it takes a split second to refine the sight picture and shoot. How else do you think still- and stalk-hunters can shoot a moving deer accurately? It takes practice, oh yes indeed, it takes HOURS and HOURS of practice to do. But it eventually becomes instinctive. The same technique becomes second nature to soldiers as well.

Let me tell you, the first time you realize that your gun comes to your shoulder with the sights perfectly aligned on target without you even thinking about it is, well, awesome.

Upvote 0