• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Info] Low Performance, lets go helping.

All my Video card settings are set to application controlled EXCEPT FOR: MipMapping Detail, which is max, Flip Queue (Which is basically Render Frames Ahead) which is set to 1. And Catalyst AI enabled. No difference Enabling or Disabling Catalyst AI. GPU usage in-game is about 70-80%

*Edit:
After reviewing Stat Memory, I'm going to disable my paging file

Thanks for the report. Have you tried to change the Flip Queue to higher values, default is 3 isnt it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the report. Have you tried to change the Flip Queue to higher values, default is 3 isnt it?

Not sure on the default, I always left it at 1 since that's generally what everything ran best at, I'll try increasing that as well

I switched texture streaming to False in the Ini file, and noticed no difference, and disabling my paging file also showed no difference, whatsoever with the stuttering

*Edit

Changed flip queue to 3 from 1. Same map as my screenshots, same number of players, same view, 10 FPS increase minimum, and the framerate jumped up to over 70 at times, (top floor of Grain Elevator). Stuttering even decreased. Going to try 4, Not going to bother going higher than that, I'm pretty sure 4 is going to induce mouse lag

Last edited:
Upvote 0
okay, I'm getting approx 14-15fps on medium settings. My specs are below:

- E6600 Core2 Duo
- 6 gig RAM
- ATI 4890 1 gig vid card
- Win7 64 bit
- screen res 1680 x 1050

Funny enough...when I first ran the RO2 beta, I had excellent fps however since the patches came out my fps got lower and lower :(

Now its just above powerpoint. if this is because my system is $hit (okay its 5 years old) then okay, but if its because the game isn't optimised or something then thats fine...I will patiently wait until its corrected.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Not to bash on you but somewhat of a useless thread unless it's used to give tripwire an idea of the hardware having problems .

Suggestion to tick or untick certain setting on the graphics card control panel isn't really going to help in this case , tripwire messed up on optimization , the faster you try to blame people for the game having bad performance the better .

Tired of all this people trying to suggest worthless stuff when they are not in a position to even do anything about it (ie not on the dev team) .

You're as good as some indian guy doing tech support reading stuff from some paper written by someone else .

Have fun wasting people's time .

Finished raging?

If they use this to have an idea of the problematic hardware then it is not useless anymore is it?

How you are so sure all of the problems come from TWI bad optimization? I'm not telling it isn't their fault, most probably is specially with high end HW, but for some people can not be.

Also, my theory is that the performance is low because of the Game thread consuming too much time, but i can't jump to conclusions that way. The faster we can somewhat prove that to TWI, the more you can rage around waving the unoptimization flag (with good reason too).

Have fun wasting your time.

*kisses*

Reactions: TheAngelKing
Upvote 0
Finished raging?

If they use this to have an idea of the problematic hardware then it is not useless anymore is it?

How you are so sure all of the problems come from TWI bad optimization? I'm not telling it isn't their fault, most probably is specially with high end HW, but for some people can not be.

Also, my theory is that the performance is low because of the Game thread consuming too much time, but i can't jump to conclusions that way. The faster we can somewhat prove that to TWI, the more you can rage around waving the unoptimization flag (with good reason too).

*kisses*

Well I've seen reports from the same systems where one user is having problems and the other isn't. There's not way to tell if they know what they're talking about, but I've seen it a bunch of times. I've even seen someone with the same rig as me say it works fine. It really seems like the game is just poorly optimized.

Reactions: TheAngelKing
Upvote 0
Finished raging?

*kisses*

I have high end hardware and it ran perfectly fine in the beta, 2 hours after the final release i tried it. The game is safe to say , is not optimized.

Upvote 0
64 player Grain Elevator, settings as shown in my screenshots, Framerate would dip to the low 20's and upper teens, along with stuttering of up to a second

Changed my Flip Queue (render frames ahead/pre-rendered frames for you nVidia folk) from ONE to FOUR

Never dipped below 35 Frames per second, generally above 45, and Stuttering is almost completely eliminated. I haven't tested this on Station yet but if Indoors the game is even remotely playable it's an improvement. Best part is, No Mouse Lag, which is surprising

Never knew Flip Queue could do so much, and didn't know the default was 3. So Thanks to Makino for the suggestion, allow me to buy you many gifts of wonderous joy

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well I've seen reports from the same systems where one user is having problems and the other isn't. There's not way to tell if they know what they're talking about, but I've seen it a bunch of times. I've even seen someone with the same rig as me say it works fine. It really seems like the game is just poorly optimized.

Same Hardware giving disparate performance is more likely to blame other things and not the game imho.

I have high end hardware and it ran perfectly fine in the beta, 2 hours after the final release i tried it. The game is safe to say , is not optimized.

Yeah, it is safe to say its not optimized, no one here disagrees. But as i said, how can we know its purely TWI at fault here? Its better to know you have tried everything plausible on your end.

Upvote 0
It's not TWI's fault at all. There's an infinite number of hardware configurations they have to take into account. If we all had the same Rig we could all pull 60 FPS without issue because TWI would've developed it for that rig. It's going to take some time to get the majority of Recommended Hardware Specs on par, and then some for those under those specs, regardless of who's developing the game

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's not TWI's fault at all. There's an infinite number of hardware configurations they have to take into account. If we all had the same Rig we could all pull 60 FPS without issue. It's going to take some time to get the majority of Recommended Hardware Specs on par, and then some for those under those specs, regardless of who's developing the game

Yes but when you have hardware higher than the recommended hardware, theres no reason for issues with framerates. It is the fact that im getting inconsistent framerates during gameplay, the gpu usage i posted earlier reflects that, its just all over the place.

Upvote 0
I'm having very low FPS (~20 average) on all MP maps as well as micro-freezes. I've tried MANY setting combinations, but nothing seems to help. I also completely removed any traces of the Beta, reinstalled the game, and defragged my HD. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5 GHz (latest drivers)
RAM: 6 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA

Attachments

• 2011-09-14_00001.jpg
    2011-09-14_00001.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-14_00003.jpg
    2011-09-14_00003.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-14_00005.jpg
    2011-09-14_00005.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-14_00006.jpg
    2011-09-14_00006.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NVIDIA Control Panel.jpg
    NVIDIA Control Panel.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
tried turning off my page file then boosted my page file, no difference. set cpu affinity to 2 processors, no difference, then 3, still nothing. set the program to high priority, still nothing.

if i disable anti-virus and disable windows effects, i get enough of a boost where the stuttering becomes tolerable, but it's still nothing to write home about.

EDIT: unless someone's got something off-hand for me to try, i think i'm done for the night, gonna play some hard reset, where the fps is stable, even on highest settings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm having very low FPS (~20 average) on all MP maps as well as micro-freezes. I've tried MANY setting combinations, but nothing seems to help. I also completely removed any traces of the Beta, reinstalled the game, and defragged my HD. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5 GHz (latest drivers)
RAM: 6 GB
Graphics card: NVIDIA

Upvote 0
tried turning off my page file then boosted my page file, no difference. set cpu affinity to 2 processors, no difference, then 3, still nothing. set the program to high priority, still nothing.

if i disable anti-virus and disable windows effects, i get enough of a boost where the stuttering becomes tolerable, but it's still nothing to write home about.

EDIT: unless someone's got something off-hand for me to try, i think i'm done for the night, gonna play some hard reset, where the fps is stable, even on highest settings.

You could do what immensely helped me, download Ray Adam's Tray Tools
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Install it, Run it, should have an Icon by your clock, Right click it, open up "3D", scroll to Flip Queue Size, click 3. (I'm currently using 4) The game is entirely playable *ALMOST* Flawlessly but not quite yet, still waiting on a patch after doing this. I only suggest this since you're using same family of card I am, and have similar Specs to mine. It basically doubled my RO2 performance, maybe it can do the same for you

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thanks, i will update the first post tomorrow with your tests.

As for something off-hand, Is cool and quiet activated on your PC? You can try to deactivate it and see if you gain performance, as well setting High Performance on the Windows Power Options.

Upvote 0
You could do what immensely helped me, download Ray Adam's Tray Tools
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Install it, Run it, should have an Icon by your clock, Right click it, open up "3D", scroll to Flip Queue Size, click 3. (I'm currently using 4) The game is entirely playable *ALMOST* Flawlessly but not quite yet, still waiting on a patch after doing this. I only suggest this since you're using same family of card I am, and have similar Specs to mine. It basically doubled my RO2 performance, maybe it can do the same for you

lol, i actually just came back to post that i had changed my flip queue size to find quite a [EDIT] stability [/EDIT] boost. so it seems that this is helping with the HD5xxx series performance issues for more than one of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just look at the screenshots you took and see what i am talking about, the game seems not optimized on the CPU level, as your game and draw threads on the stat unit thing are way off the ideal.

I dont think these will do anything but if you want to try anyway:

- Is the cpu not overheating? A friend of mine was getting awful fps, stutters and long *** map loading times because of this.

- The only thing i found really strange is that your stat mem shows only 2GB and on mine it shows 4GB the stutters may come from here. I don't know if it is linked in any way as i not tested yet (will test soon on my PC) but you can go into the Windows Virtual Memory management and raise your Virtual Memory maximum size. And just to be sure, your memory banks are running on Ganged or Unganged mode?

- Set the ROGame process to High using the task manager. Chances are that it will change nothing. *hah, it will most surely not work*

So, I set the priority for RO2 to "real time" in task manager and up'd my Virtual Memory. Either both of these changes or one of them helped A LOT! I can now run the game between 30-70 FPS, which isn't great, but a huge improvement. Granted, I just tried one server for one round, but it really did seem to help. Still a few micro-freezes, but playable, unlike before.

I not sure how to check if my memory is Ganged or Unganged. I have dual channel RAM, is that what you mean?

My CPU stays within a pretty good temp range.

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. Any other suggestions that you think might help?

Attachments

• 2011-09-14_00008.jpg
    2011-09-14_00008.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-14_00007.jpg
    2011-09-14_00007.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0