• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lockdown - Make it a server-side variable

Josef Nader

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
I don't know if it is, as I've never managed to find a server with it turned off, but I have a very clear reason why lockdown needs to get thrown out.

I just finished, not 10 minutes ago, one of the best games I've played so far in RO. RO the way is was -meant- to be played. I was with the Allies on Red Oktober Factory, playing a machine gunner, and it was a -beautiful- game. The axis quickly set up a rock solid defense with actual depth, advancing into the buildings in front of the factory to try and stop us. In return the Allies formed a front line of their own and began to slowly push forward. We had a great squadleader, and the pubbies were actually listening to him. We pushed forward, inch by inch, clearing the Axis from the buildings in front of the factory before setting up a front line right on the edge of the open area. Then, a small group of riflemen stayed there and prevented them from sniping us from the windows as most everyone else (myself included) pushed towards the left and right flanks. The Axis was putting up a brilliant defense, staying mobile, harassing our flanks, and making our lives hell, but we clawed forward inch by inch until we had the entire factory surrounded. We were actually beating the Axis by a clean 30 reinforcements, and they were buckling down for the CQC fighting when we entered the factory.

LOCKDOWN IN 30 SECONDS.

Everything fell apart. The entire Allied front line dissolved as everyone broke ranks and charged into the factory to try and get bodies on the cap before time ran out. The entire Axis team was sitting in there waiting for us, and they gunned us down like it was nothing. I mean, we -were- charging a heavily defended position trying to get in there as fast as we could, as opposed to as carefully as we could. They didn't have to do anything but stick to their defensive strategy that had been working so well, whereas we would automatically lose if we didn't charge their guns. We lost, despite being up by almost 50 reinforcements at the end game, simply because an arbitrary timer decided we should lose.

Please, axe this horrid feature. It sucks any chance of tactical play right out of the game.

Last edited:
+1

I really hate the lockdown, its ruined so many of my rounds. Its like oh the lockdown is going to end in 3mins everyone just ditch the tactics and rush and die and lose anyway. Its a awful game breaker & ruins the experience.

Why cant we just play till the actual TIME LIMIT on the map ends or our reinforcements run out.

GET RID OF IT! :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm sure actual attacking forces in 1941 cursed when extra defending reinforcements showed up because they could not press their advantage in surprise quickly enough.

That may very well be, but that's not what we want to simulate in this game.

The reason we were beating the Axis so cleanly in reinforcements is because we were playing like our lives were in danger. People were trying to stay alive, we were using real tactics, and we were advancing slowly but surely, applying pressure across the entire front and rolling forward like an inevitable wave of Red Army Death.

Then the lockdown timer kicked in and all our tactics and teamwork became meaningless. Our strategy was time consuming, yes, but it was -working-. Brilliantly. Then the lockdown timer kicked in and we lost arbitrarily. Punished for playing the game properly. This is not okay.

Upvote 0
Then the lockdown timer kicked in and all our tactics and teamwork became meaningless. Our strategy was time consuming, yes, but it was -working-. Brilliantly. Then the lockdown timer kicked in and we lost arbitrarily. Punished for playing the game properly. This is not okay.
Happened so many times to me and it really is discouraging for a team, who tries to play carefully and tactical.

It is really disappointing, that TWI thinks this feature is good as it is right now. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed 100%. I hate lockdown with a passion and I don't think it adds anything of value to the game, on the contrary. It just cuts rounds short and I don't even enjoy winning due to lockdown because it feels like such a hollow victory.

I understand the theory behind it, but in practice it just simply does not work. The people that don't want to get in capzones still won't get in capzones and will sit behind and whore kills just as they always have and no lockdown timer will ever change that. Instead lockdown will force the guys who actually do get in capzones to blindly rush them and get mowed down in the process.

Commissars house is a prime example of an otherwise great (one of my favorites next to Red October) map that is ruined by lockdown alone. Keep lockdown on as default if you have to, just please make it an option to turn it off.

Upvote 0
Seriously, this is the worst feature of this game besides the bugs.

It seems you barely get chance to leave your cover after taking an objective before the last 1:00 of time ticks down and you just rush in like an idiot because, i dunno, perhaps you were enjoying the game and want to continue.

Not in the spirit of RO if you ask me

Upvote 0
i agree with OP. Long epic battles are nonexistant. Lockdown, lags and the prototype testing classes we have to play with or against decrease the fun to a minimum for me.

I can oversee the many bugs and stats not working etc. as this is only secondary stuff.

The heart of the game is missing!!

And it hurts my gamer's heart to be honest......:(

Upvote 0
I too have my problems with lockdown in that it provides an out for the defending team to be reckless in their defence.

AS SL I have commanded my team many times to just throw themselves at the defense of a point, dont care about your respawn tickets, because in 1 minute they MAGICALLY loose, even though they have 150 respawns left, and we have 50.
How would this work in real life, the buzzer rings and the attackers just stand up say "see you tommorrow Ivan", then head off the field and everyone goes for drinks?

The lockdown timer is a conceptually good idea for games that just arent going anywhere, but it also axes all games where there might be a turn around. Some of my sweetest RO1 Memories are of games where you are being utterly CRUSHED ( yes it was worth caps ), and you manage to organize your team, get your defence/offense in order and just win by the hair on your chinny chin chin. Those are the games were both sides say a small boatload of "gg"'s at the end, they are also the games that Lockdown removes.

IMO lockdown should be changed so that it never triggers if the attackers have MORE reinforcements then the defenders. IT should ONLY trigger if the attackers A: cannot take ground AND B: they are being slaughtered by the defenders. At that point its easy to make a 99% prediction that the attackers have lost.

Upvote 0