• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Loads of tl;dr stuff, but it's all imporant.

Singami

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 18, 2013
I was trying to make a thread this morning when I found out, that I don't really have a point for it. So I gave it a day, came back this evening and this time found out, that my list of suggestions is way too long to be just added into the game. It's almost like... it would need another game. Well, lets get that out of the way anyway.

Death

First and foremost, death. I've heard that a lot - despite the realism and dramatic events depicted in the game, the death itself feels way too common and more like in any arcade shooter. It's not punishing, it's not dramatic, it's just "oh, I died, wait for respawn I suppose". This is made even worse by the fact that death is actually important strategy-wise - tickets - but it's never signalized to the player that they should really try to stay alive. Of course, after a couple of mistakes he'll stop running around like an idiot and use cover, but still, that's more of a "I want to actually play" thing, rather than "hell, I really need to stay alive". Because, lets face it, you don't feel that much, unless you're an SL or something.

That's what my original thread was about. But I haven't found a way to actually make a suggestion on how to fix it without changing a game - making it a "patchable" issue. The game is kind of fundamentally flawed here, and while I don't want to just diss it and say it's an awful thing, it's definitely something to consider for future installments.

First and foremost (again?) - war is not about killing. War is about gaining ground. In RO2 terms that means, that you shouldn't aim for the most kills, you should aim for getting onto the point, preferably scaring the enemy away first. To be honest, the game already tries to do that, you'll hear the SLs constantly yell about "getting on the point, get on the f*cking point", but their frustration comes from the fact that it's so easy to kill people, that first - people want to just stay in cover and snipe; and second - they don't want to run into the open.
So I guess that here we go again - how to make the shooting harder, and we already had that discussion a couple of times, so I won't repeat myself here. The point is - shooting should not be about killing, but suppressing and scaring the enemy away. When you know where the enemy is, you shouldn't wait for him to pop out, you should cover his cover (heh) with bullets, so he'll run away and you'll be able to take his position. This also makes bunkers way more viable, from "hey, I'm here, please kill me" places into an actual defense points. Another benefit is that people will stay alive more - yes, they'll take over the ground, but the enemy won't die, but rather run away. Of course, the enemy will suffer causalities as well, but this time they actually would be important.

Secondly, the damage system. Now it's made so even if you'll be seriously wounded - not actually killed outright, but wounded - you will still die. That's fine and dandy, not everyone gets helped outright, but it can be done way, way better. It can be done so the "death" is actually part of the gameplay itself. The gameplay needs medics.
This is a suggestion, so like with every suggestion it's kind of iffy, but imagine this. If you actually die, you suffer a cooldown. This cooldown isn't small either, it's deliberately made to punish. This, however, isn't a thing that always happen, because often you'll just be hurt (especially if the shooting is harder and you won't get headshoted all the time, but maybe hit in the upper leg, shoulder or something). Often you'll just need medical help and here's where the medic comes in - he has to pick you up and can either patch you or carry back to the spawn point (actually every player should be able to carry people back, makes for a lot of "movie-like" dramatic moments). If he does, the guy obviously stays wounded, but you'll get a "replacement" right away - in layman's terms, you just respawn immediately. If you die, then, again, you get a punishing cooldown.
This, overall, makes the death more important. People will, of course, die, but you'll get a lot of this "f*ck, he died" moments players want to see, maybe someone will die on the medic's hands, maybe someone will bleed out while carried back to the medic - all in all, good fun.

Squads and SLs

Here's another thing I have a problem with - the fact that squads don't really exist and SL is just a mobile spawnpoint.
Time to face it - SL is dumb. His job is to sit behind the objective and spawn people onto it. So you got camping (or just sitting around doing nothing) and spawning people in the middle of the map, possibly right into enemy fire if the SL doesn't know what he's doing, all of that in one package.

RO2 (or RO3) would benefit greatly from realism in that part. The goals are to make the SL an actual squad leader. The game needs to form squads and teamwork on the go and I know this is hard. We know that from a lot of games, it's tough to get people going together. Here's a couple of obvious improvements.

1. Don't spawn people right on top of the SL. Rather, spawn them in the closest spawn point and give them a marker on their SLs position at all times. This gives them an obvious "hey, here's your SL, go there and join the team". Also give the player some little marker of "hey, you're near your SL, good job". You might think it's a little thing, but showing the player he's doing the right thing is important.

2. We've already concluded that dying should be rarer, so make SL more important in helping his team out. Less suppression when in vicinity of SL? Definitely yes.

3. Addendum to the third one, give SL the tools to lead his team. Learn from the MOBA games and their "smart-wheel-ping-pong-don't-want-to-write-everything" thing. It can actually be made with existing code.
Give the SL "the finger". Code it's usage like a grenade - it's a "weapon", but bound to a key, which will possibly be rebound to the mouse by the players. The finger points at stuff with a green overlay only visible to you - like the binoculars and airstrikes. "Firing it" opens a circular menu, much like the one that's in the game right now, with options for the team's fragments first (riflemen/assault/sniper/etc.) and orders later (move/shoot/etc.). Releasing the finger shouts the information. Give people "squad points" for doing as they are told.

4. Since you have a leveling system, lock the SL away from newbies. Of course that wouldn't affect server owners and people privileged by them.

RSOD

That's an easy one. RSoD is dumb and it needs to go, we know that. It should only affect the point behind the closest one and if enemies are still in the point, then simply don't spawn them there, but in the one before. You can already see people spawning in your sights on multiple maps, so we know it solves nothing. If people rush the captured point, then show the information, that "our point is under enemy fire, spawning behind it" and do so.

Arcade Mode

Just no.

So... here's a wall of text. Yoshiro will hate me.

Last edited:
OK first realize that shooting at me isn't going to "scare me away". I've got nowhere else to go. For that, you'd have to remove or massively delay respawn. e.g. Countdown mode. (but ppl prefer to respawn more often than that, go figure) Nobody is going to run away from the capzone so you can walk in.

Second, getting into the capzone is a primary step yes. But it is immediately followed by the need to kill enemies in or approaching the capzone. It's unavoidably a huge primary goal of any FPS. Capture territory. Get kills.

Also, Team Leader can issue orders to individual squads with the order widget. Squad Leaders can issue orders to individual fire-teams with his order widget. It takes a few seconds, but you can issue out individual go-here, attack, or defend orders down to the three-man fireteam level. I don't usually bother as SL, but as TL I do indeed issue squad orders with the widget from time to time. Usually for the go-here command, I select squad, hold F for the overlay finger tool, left click to issue go-here order to that squad. Then select second squad, issue his order similarly but in a different place, etc. I consider the go-here mark to be where I think the SL should stay to spawn his men.

Squad Leaders with fewer than 5 men spawning on them should just attack Rambo-style, leading the attack for the enlisted men, using their smoke, chopping heads with katanas, etc. But if you have 5 or more, your biggest impact on victory will be where you spawn your men.

I usually use Squads 1 and 3 for attacking, since they have the most members and varied weaponry, and Squad 2 for support or defense of captured zones, since Squad2 is the rifle-only squad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK first realize that shooting at me isn't going to "scare me away". I've got nowhere else to go.
Really? Will you pop out of a cover that's heavily shot at? I don't think so - if you know people are pointing at a certain spot, you won't pop your head there.
Yes, the "I have nowhere else to go" is a problem for some cover, because leaving it to retreat will mean exposing yourself, but that's not often seen. Most of the time you stay in a cover despite being shot at because you don't care. I see that time and time again - people will rather take a gamble and stay in their point and then die (maybe after an extra kill or two), instead of thinking "they're going to kill me, that's bad, lets run away". That's why the Japanese forces were so famed - they were made out of RO2 players.
Second, getting into the capzone is a primary step yes. But it is immediately followed by the need to kill enemies in or approaching the capzone. It's unavoidably a huge primary goal of any FPS. Capture territory. Get kills.
Not really, not in RO2 unless your tactic is to "bleed out" the enemy. The goal of the attackers is to get points, the goal of the defenders is to stale - the kills really are just a tool, rather than a goal. And that's good.
You don't want to "kill" the enemies in the capzone or approaching it, just making them run away or stop is good enough (in theory, but that's addressed in my OP). That's a realistic way of thinking.
Also, Team Leader can issue orders to individual squads with the order widget. Squad Leaders can issue orders to individual fire-teams with his order widget. It takes a few seconds, but you can issue out individual go-here, attack, or defend orders down to the three-man fireteam level. I don't usually bother as SL, but as TL I do indeed issue squad orders with the widget from time to time. Usually for the go-here command, I select squad, hold F for the overlay finger tool, left click to issue go-here order to that squad. Then select second squad, issue his order similarly but in a different place, etc. I consider the go-here mark to be where I think the SL should stay to spawn his men.
Yes, I know, but it's a pain in the painful place to use. I also haven't really seen it in use at all, which either means that nobody in my servers bothers to use it, or it's not properly shown and I'm missing informations.
Couple of points:
1. I don't know who's in my team by just looking at it.
2. I don't know their classes.
3. They most often don't care about me (and, being honest, when I don't play as an SL I don't do it either).
4. They don't know which team they're in.
5. They don't know their goals in a team, just their goals in the game.
Yes, maybe some of this stuff is actually somewhere in the menus, but it's surely not clear enough. The problem here and with all of this is lack of communication between the game, SL and the players. Give markers on the squad's members and icons for their classes. Give markers on an SL. Make objectives set by SL and TL clear and obvious.
Squad Leaders with fewer than 5 men spawning on them should just attack Rambo-style, leading the attack for the enlisted men, using their smoke, chopping heads with katanas, etc. But if you have 5 or more, your biggest impact on victory will be where you spawn your men.
Still, people hated spawning on top of SL and for a good reason. Just a thought of a movable spawn point is problematic, but putting it on a player that has to sit around? That's quite awful.
There are different servers, but when I play SL and play like I should - that is, be an immobile and boring spawnpoint - my objective is usually the last to get taken out (if at all) and I get a lot of points for spawns. But it's not a good gameplay mechanic, you're not really a leader, in fact you can't even lead your team, because you can't risk dying.

Upvote 0
From what I have read, you want to punish people for defending or attacking a territory. When I first started playing this game, I was dying left, right and centre. I thought that I was going horribly, until someone told me that if I wasn't dying, I wasn't playing the game right. RO2 is not about getting kills. It is about struggling to capture territories, and dying.

If you aren't dying, chances are you arw outside the cap, shooting in. Now while it is fine for a few people to do that, you have to remember that that is a few people who aren't in the cap; and when those "few" turn out to be more than half your team, you have a problem. Punishing people for dying in a game focused around one of the most bloody battles of WW2 makes no sense to me, and would cause more people to hang around the outskirts and shoot in, rather than help cap.

Upvote 0
Death

First and foremost, death. I've heard that a lot - despite the realism and dramatic events depicted in the game, the death itself feels way too common and more like in any arcade shooter. It's not punishing, it's not dramatic, it's just "oh, I died, wait for respawn I suppose".

That's what my original thread was about. But I haven't found a way to actually make a suggestion on how to fix it without changing a game - making it a "patchable" issue. The game is kind of fundamentally flawed here

No, it's not fundamentally flawed. It just boils down to how the bloody maps play out. In the RO mod days the spawn timer was most commonly set at 50 seconds from the server, which meant that every time you died you had to wait 25 seconds on average before spawning in. Now the spawn timer is not server side anymore, it's in the map files, and it's usually way too low. Getting to the objective also typically took longer, as the movement was slower and the maps felt bigger in comparison. RO1 was similar but faster, which already detracted a lot from the experience.

If you want to make death feel more dramatic, and thus kills more satisfying as well, you just need maps that are suited for that kind of thing. It's not even close to a systemic flaw, it just boils down to making maps that follow this philosophy or edit existing ones. Maybe disable squad leader spawn while you are at it and voila, it's almost like a completely different game.
It's as if nobody in this forum played another tactical game before.

Nearly half of the posts I've made on this forum are about this single thing, which has prevented me from enjoying the game I've liked the most in a long PC gaming career. I bet if TE maps were tweaked with this in mind, all of the inane minutiae that take up half of the threads would instantly disappear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could also go with incremented respawn times up to 3 times or so when died 3 times within a time frame. It'll discourage the player to die often and try better. It'd probably also cause lots of frustration when things aren't going in your favor. It would also resolve lots of stalemate issues in maps. But for this scenario you'd maybe have to re-balance tickets depending on how favorable a map is for which team.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From what I have read, you want to punish people for defending or attacking a territory.
Punishing people for dying in a game focused around one of the most bloody battles of WW2 makes no sense to me, and would cause more people to hang around the outskirts and shoot in, rather than help cap.
Well, then you haven't read it correctly. I want to punish people for dying, but I also want to make dying a rarer and more "grand" thing.
I thought that I was going horribly, until someone told me that if I wasn't dying, I wasn't playing the game right. RO2 is not about getting kills. It is about struggling to capture territories, and dying.

If you aren't dying, chances are you arw outside the cap, shooting in. Now while it is fine for a few people to do that, you have to remember that that is a few people who aren't in the cap; and when those "few" turn out to be more than half your team, you have a problem.
This isn't really a good thing and it surely isn't realistic.
In an actual war scenario, unless you have a band of NKVD officers killing everyone that decides to retreat, throwing bodies at the objective doesn't serve a purpose. You'll lose a ton of men, crush your own morale and lose the fight. The actual tactic is to lay suppressive fire onto the shooting positions, take the more fortified ones out with artillery support and then move forward relatively unscattered.
You might say - "well, RO2 is just a game, it shouldn't go for 100% simulation since that's no fun". I would agree to an extent, if the system we had right now was great, but as I pointed out, it isn't. People want to care more about deaths, they want to feel the need to save themselves, but subconsciously or even consciously don't do that and take dumb risks because "well, I'll respawn in 15 seconds anyway".

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to remove death, but think of it like that. For all the situations which result in a death right now (100%):
In ~50% the fact of increased difficulty in aiming and shooting, paired with more care put into one's survival, sniping scenarios would turn into suppression scenarios.
In ~30% of them people will still die. Possibly more.
In the last ~20% people would require medic attention, introducing a new gameplay mechanic. I wouldn't like to see medics run around healing everyone all the time, since that'd surely be annoying. A lot of people "requiring attention" would simply die off before getting help. But it would be cool to make it a scenario that happens.

No, it's not fundamentally flawed. It just boils down to how the bloody maps play out. In the RO mod days the spawn timer was most commonly set at 50 seconds from the server, which meant that every time you died you had to wait 25 seconds on average before spawning in. Now the spawn timer is not server side anymore, it's in the map files, and it's usually way too low. Getting to the objective also typically took longer, as the movement was slower and the maps felt bigger in comparison. RO1 was similar but faster, which already detracted a lot from the experience.
Well, you're pointing a lot of flaws for a system that isn't "fundamentally flawed", but I see what you want to say.
Still, I think we can all agree that guns are ridiculously accurate. We had this discussion before and maybe it requires it's own thread, but the ease with which you can take out people is definitely negatively influencing the game.
You could also go with incremented respawn times up to 3 times or so when died 3 times within a time frame. It'll discourage the player to die often and try better. It'd probably also cause lots of frustration when things aren't going in your favor. It would also resolve lots of stalemate issues in maps. But for this scenario you'd maybe have to re-balance tickets depending on how favorable a map is for which team.
I thought about this, but it's not a good solution - people would just leave the server if their counter was too high.

Upvote 0
A little update:

How to make SL and TL more aggressive and more supportive

These changes are not big, yet they can seriously impact the game.
SQUAD LEADER AND TEAM LEADER
- Allies nearby you can't be suppressed more than below 35% of their suppression bar.
- Nearby allies regenerate suppression 50% faster.
- The buff is displayed in the lower left corner on your character's portrait, as a little green "LEADER+" or "SL+" next and/or on top of it.
- Each kill by a buffed ally gives you +1 team point.

Originally TLs had a bigger buff, but to be honest they don't lose anything for playing offensive if the artillery and other call-ins are down, unlike SLs that risk losing their constant spawns.
This buff obviously makes it so, while SL still has to stay safe and probably behind his team, he has to move with them to provide a buff, putting himself in more risk. It doesn't deny his existing play-pattern of safety, but gives him more benefits for taking risks.

Upvote 0

Yep, I'll agree, it's pretty meaningless except in some matches and to a small degree in Campaign. Every Territory battle in RO2 is a series of dogpiles into the caps, who cares if you die as long as you kill more of them before they get to the cap, right?

The most effective way to get a player to value their life is to make it valuable. Increase the spawn distance, the respawn times and drastically lower the ticket count. It's unusual when TE maps end with one side eliminating the enemy, which is exactly what brings tension and excitement to one life gametypes. Die too much or at all and you're out. Increase respawn times x% each time you die and reduce the number of overall times per team and I'd bet that people would play smarter, a lot more cautiously and there'd be a lot of chatter in com to "stay alive you idiots!".

Play a map with a small number of players and you'll get a taste of it, attackers have to move intelligently and defenders can't die, because there's no stream of teammates pouring into the cap right behind them.

I think simply larger maps with transports, spawn on SL off and not many spawnpoints would help create that sort of fear of death, it'd be worth a try.

Squads and SLs....

Agreed, the SL role is mainly as a spawn point and arty marker. Yeah, smoke and all that, but communicating with your squad is cumbersome at best. Odds are that no one in your squad even knows you're their SL anyway unless they spawn on your back, let alone pay the slightest attention to your orders. I like the role a lot on Classic servers and TL can be important, but there could be huge improvements in the squad system.

Squad points are a good idea, more points for resupplying your mg'er, things like that. As are Squad rally/spawn points, light up tags or colored markers when you hit T, or when you use squad chat, anything to make it easier to find your squadmates and give you an incentive to.

The biggest incentive for cooperative communication/play though would be implementing the above restrictions in respawn. Just like in ARMA, there's no points for helping your teammates or penalty for going Rambo, just that you'll die far more often and dying is a PITA in that game. Along with the fact that you being dead enables the enemy to take the territory you were standing on, you quickly find that working with your teammates gets you back in the fight faster and keeps you alive longer.

Because so many people love RO2 as it is though, I doubt much will change with the spawn mechanics, there'd be serious whining if even spawn times were increased. I wish players had more interest in single life matches like CD and S&D, it doesn't appear so though.

Hopefully improvements to the squad system will come at some point, they'd be a benefit regardless of the gametype.

Upvote 0