• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lever Action Rifle

Are you insane? the same mechanic? Have you tried loading a bolt action one round at a time? Its not nearly as fast as loading the tube on a lever action. Load one/shoot one is one of the best thing about the lever action, you cant do that with the same speed or efficiency with a bolt action. I would love to see a bolt action hunting rifle added to the game as a high end sharpshooter weapon. I really don't want to see a sniper rifle in this game.

-its

uh, actually its really easy and not really timeconsuming to just put a round into the internal mag of a rifle ;)

open the bolt, put the round in, close the bolt

also i heard that winchersters are sometimes a bit tricky to reload, but i guess this only applies to the .44 mag versions ect

Upvote 0
Are you insane? the same mechanic? Have you tried loading a bolt action one round at a time? Its not nearly as fast as loading the tube on a lever action. Load one/shoot one is one of the best thing about the lever action, you cant do that with the same speed or efficiency with a bolt action. I would love to see a bolt action hunting rifle added to the game as a high end sharpshooter weapon. I really don't want to see a sniper rifle in this game.

-its

Yes, I'm a gunsmith and have performed reloading procedures on both weapons. Reloading a bolt-action rifle one bullet at a time is a simple process and comparable to a lever-action rifle. People seem to misunderstand me as having said that when you reload both rifles, it is the SAME thing. What I am trying to explain is that you can load both rifles in the same FASHION - one round at a time. Easy, done.

And yes Reise, the SMLE can accept stripper clips - however, that would break the balance of the game if the weapon was loaded via two stripper clips in rapid succession. Just load them one at a time and the balance is preserved.

Upvote 0
But you still lose the load one shoot one mechanic, it most certainly is not the same thing. You seem to be missing the importance of this, because it is a big deal. Yeah you can load an internal mag on a bolt action rifle fairly quickly, but you cant load one, shoot and then keep reloading with the same speed as you can the lever action.

-its...

Upvote 0
But you still lose the load one shoot one mechanic, it most certainly is not the same thing. You seem to be missing the importance of this, because it is a big deal. Yeah you can load an internal mag on a bolt action rifle fairly quickly, but you cant load one, shoot and then keep reloading with the same speed as you can the lever action.

-its...

uh yes you can? o_O

Upvote 0
the lever action is actually my preferred weapon. i like it alot. its accurate and easy to wield. i dont know why or where everyone got this negativety towards the lever action.i dont want anyone replacing it.

*i personally think that the game is the game... and if you want changes this should be brought to modders. not to devs.

Upvote 0

-its...

Yes, you can. The differences between the weapons is simply the loading mechanism. One must draw back the bolt on a bolt action and push it forward to load it, just like one must work the lever on a lever-action to chamber the next round. Someone trained in the usage of both weapons will tell you that it is fairly simple and easy to do.

Upvote 0
Yes, you can. The differences between the weapons is simply the loading mechanism. One must draw back the bolt on a bolt action and push it forward to load it, just like one must work the lever on a lever-action to chamber the next round. Someone trained in the usage of both weapons will tell you that it is fairly simple and easy to do.

The critical difference being that you can't load a bolt-action rifle with the bolt closed (unless it's a Krag), while you can with a lever action.

This is important. You can fire one shot with the lever action and load another one in at your convenience, but loading a bolt action entails pulling back the bolt, extraction and ejecting a live round and generally being more time-consuming that just shoving rounds into the loading gate. That's why you're not supposed to "top off" a bolt-action's magazine in battle.

Upvote 0
*i personally think that the game is the game... and if you want changes this should be brought to modders. not to devs.

I agree. If people want different weapons or weapons replaced, they should be heckling modders in the modding section of the forum. By posting all these as a suggestion or idea, they're telling the wrong people they want change- why should a developer change a game that so many other people play without complaining?

Upvote 0
The kar-98 is a good idea but, what i think would make this game PERFECT only on the last wave when the big 1 comes. I think the shot should allow the barret 50.cal 2 come to the rescue!!!!! that would make this game
Don't get me wrong I like the K98 but it's not a native weapon like the lee-enfield, and the barret 50 cal. is just too much! Killing the Patriarch is a team effort, the sharpshooter can't play the role of a support with a LAW.

Upvote 0
The critical difference being that you can't load a bolt-action rifle with the bolt closed (unless it's a Krag), while you can with a lever action.

This is important. You can fire one shot with the lever action and load another one in at your convenience, but loading a bolt action entails pulling back the bolt, extraction and ejecting a live round and generally being more time-consuming that just shoving rounds into the loading gate. That's why you're not supposed to "top off" a bolt-action's magazine in battle.

So everyone is worried about the concept of firing and then loading? Perhaps, firing a few rounds (with two left in the chamber) and then loading and firing? The operation only adds the operation of pulling the bolt back, which in a game the speed can be adjusted to allow for necessary balance.

If you fired two rounds with the bolt action and had some left over, then after firing one round just do not close the bolt - start loading.

My original reason for recommending the Enfield over the Lever-Action is simply because it makes more sense.

Upvote 0

-its...

..... why the hell would you load, shoot, load, shoot with a bolt action? You do realise that a bolt action doesn't need to be reloaded after every shot don't you? Just cocked. Anyone trying to load a bolt action after every shot would be a complete moron.

Also, Reise said that a lee-enfield wouldn't take stripper clips if it had a scope ... it would ;) just like the Garand the Enfield had its scope mounted on the side to let the stripper clip work.

And someone said Barret.50cal... Really? You really want that in the game? Ugh.

Upvote 0
I'm a spec all the time, lvl 4 and all I buy is the regular shotgun and bolt action for a 2nd weapon... It pwns. Dont see any prob with it.:cool:

Though I could see there to be a problem with it on higher difficulties perhaps. But it's a headshot weapon? So... w/e ya know.

To each their own tho'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
..... why the hell would you load, shoot, load, shoot with a bolt action? You do realise that a bolt action doesn't need to be reloaded after every shot don't you? Just cocked. Anyone trying to load a bolt action after every shot would be a complete moron.

And so another person fails to read all of the thread before posting. Really, use common sense before knee jerk responding to something. Thank you for proving my point though, as you are right. No one would want to do this with a bolt action, especially since you would eject a live round anytime you tried to reload without firing first. And, in case you are too lazy to actually read my posts, I was referring to LOSING this ability with a bolt action compared to the tube magazine on the lever action, where you can shoot, load, and shoot without the issues this would present in doing so with a bolt action.

-Its...

Upvote 0
My logic was simply based on the fact that I'd rather have a British SMLE than an American Lever-Action in a zombie game in Britain. I've seen lever-actions done before - I want something a bit different. If it meant changing the mechanics to reloading after five rounds, so be it. You'd hold 10 rounds instead of 8 and it'd make more sense for an appearance rather than the lever-action.

Upvote 0
I'm a spec all the time, lvl 4 and all I buy is the regular shotgun and bolt action for a 2nd weapon... It pwns. Dont see any prob with it.:cool:

Though I could see there to be a problem with it on higher difficulties perhaps. But it's a headshot weapon? So... w/e ya know.

To each their own tho'.

Higher difficulties is what I'm talking about. On Hard/Suicidal, as a Level 4 Sharpshooter, it takes MULTIPLE headshots to take down anything stronger than a Clot, Crawler, or Stalker. Even Bloats and Gorefasts take multiple headshots. I dunno if it's a headshot issue (Very well could be, as I swear Gorefasts have some head-hitbox issues still), but it's there and it's a problem.

It seems to be more of an issue with the Lever Action Rifle because when hitting the same spot with the Handcannon or Crossbow, not to mention other weapons, I get a clean headshot kill. Yeah, you can get a lot of kills with the Lever Rifle on normal...but try it on higher difficulties. You'll be in for a big suprise when you can put 15+ rounds from it into a Skrake's head without it dropping...or 5+ into a Gorefast's head...

Upvote 0