• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Left 4 Dead

Just played the demo, hunched up on my laptop half sitting on a sofa so now my mouse hand is now aching, but anyway only had a chance to play single player. Normal just seemed fairly average but on hard it was on a different level, much more intense, fun, hard, exciting. Anyway heres my first impressions.

Combat aint anything new but the guns all feel fairly solid, even the default pistols are a good back up when your out of ammo, or to compensate for the lacking of your main weapon.

The zombies....sorry infected.... are straight out of the 28 days later style, and to be honest are pretty perfect in terms of what you could want in a zombie game. Wont go into much detail on the boss infected but wheneer they turn up things usualy get pretty frantic though when isolated they are pretty easily taken down by themselves, well apart from the tank.

The best thing ive found about this game though is the AI director and the atmosphere it brings. Playing it on hard with my headphones plugged in and turned up it was pretty awesome. When the pace increases and then some of the boss' turn up its great, the pacing of the director works pretty well to; towards the end of the demo we were doing pretty well then suddenly a tank turns up takes down bill while the rest of us where disracted my other zombies, and in the mean time then got to zoe and it wasnt until the i mangaed to revive zoe while he was dirstracted that 3 of us managed to take it down, it was so chaotic that I didnt even notice that Bill had 'died' and had got sent to one of the respawn rooms trapped until someone freed him and in the end we were barly surviving.

Over all its pretty fun, though its definetly not the new orange box, in single player portal/HL are probably better and multiplayer TF2 will probably have more of a long term draw but L4D is certanly different from most of the bog standard games around atm and definetly lots of fun, I cant wait both to play it with a bunch of mates and to get my hands on the boss infected on versus mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/member.php?u=7041 wait till you get some co-op going :eek:, I luv it so far there were allot of problems with the dedicated servers and connecting when it first launched but Valve have released a few small patches and it seems abit better.

Spent about the last 3 hours playing with some of the SPLAT guyz trying to finish subway on expert, amazing fun!

Upvote 0
Yeah gonna be trying it online tonight hopfully. Just read Tom Francis' (From PCGamer UK ?) blog and he was saying that because of the short length of the demo campaign (1 and a half levels compared to the normal 4) the momentum of the director never really gets going to anywhere near what he had experienced before. So yay the full thing is going to be much much better. :D

Oh and anyone who wants to, add me on steam. None of my real life friends are getting it yet :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the review.

So how are the gameplay mechanics? Is the movement the same as TF2? And is it a challenging game? I hope there isn't too much crap like bunnyhopping.

Also, how much longer will it have the lower price?

Just played the demo, hunched up on my laptop half sitting on a sofa so now my mouse hand is now aching, but anyway only had a chance to play single player. Normal just seemed fairly average but on hard it was on a different level, much more intense, fun, hard, exciting. Anyway heres my first impressions.

Combat aint anything new but the guns all feel fairly solid, even the default pistols are a good back up when your out of ammo, or to compensate for the lacking of your main weapon.

The zombies....sorry infected.... are straight out of the 28 days later style, and to be honest are pretty perfect in terms of what you could want in a zombie game. Wont go into much detail on the boss infected but wheneer they turn up things usualy get pretty frantic though when isolated they are pretty easily taken down by themselves, well apart from the tank.

The best thing ive found about this game though is the AI director and the atmosphere it brings. Playing it on hard with my headphones plugged in and turned up it was pretty awesome. When the pace increases and then some of the boss' turn up its great, the pacing of the director works pretty well to; towards the end of the demo we were doing pretty well then suddenly a tank turns up takes down bill while the rest of us where disracted my other zombies, and in the mean time then got to zoe and it wasnt until the i mangaed to revive zoe while he was dirstracted that 3 of us managed to take it down, it was so chaotic that I didnt even notice that Bill had 'died' and had got sent to one of the respawn rooms trapped until someone freed him and in the end we were barly surviving.

Over all its pretty fun, though its definetly not the new orange box, in single player portal/HL are probably better and multiplayer TF2 will probably have more of a long term draw but L4D is certanly different from most of the bog standard games around atm and definetly lots of fun, I cant wait both to play it with a bunch of mates and to get my hands on the boss infected on versus mode.

Upvote 0
Just played it online properly for the first time and yup, its so much better with other people and mics.

So how are the gameplay mechanics? Is the movement the same as TF2? And is it a challenging game? I hope there isn't too much crap like bunnyhopping.

Also, how much longer will it have the lower price?

Movment is kinda similar to TF2 i guess, but it feels right , you dont feel like your going to fast or way to slow. Bunnyhopping isnt an issue, never saw it being done myself and tbh hows jumping arround like a twat going to save you from zombies?

The challange level is really up to you, theres 4 difficulties, not tried it on the hardest but on advanced if your teams crap someone will probably die and even if your working well together running into a tank or a witch usually ends up with one or more dead. difficulty is also helped by the director, running low on health etc itll tone it down a little but full on health/ammo and if you and your team has been playing well itll be pretty frantic. Also ive found that even playing with randoms online they tend to be fairly focused on playing as a team, even more so if one or more folk are using voice.

I guess the lower price is until its fully released, same as other valve releases, though it may be full price once the demo is out to everyone i dont know. Your only going to be saving a few Euros/Pounds with the discount and itll prob be that price on Amazon etc sooner rather than later, though if you buy a boxed copy youll be supporting EA :eek: heheh

Upvote 0
The hardest difficulty is truly a blast. Shooting at or near teammates carries a greater penalty. The infected hit for -20HP each time and it certainly seems like the boss infected are out in even greater force.

Just getting through the demo on that difficulty feels like a small victory and in the full game there'd still be 3 levels left to go...

Upvote 0
ok thanks, this game look interesting.

but I still find it lame, because I asume that then you won't be able to preorder and have to pay the full price, so is either buying blindly, or paying more
You assumed wrong then. The game isn't released until the 18th. Meaning that once the public demo is out, there's still a week left to pre-order.

Upvote 0