• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knifes?

How is it silly and frantic? It's like being in enemy at the gates, waiting for one of your mates to die so you can recover his gun :)

I would not like to see melee combat go beyond bayonets. You can't effectively kill someone with your fists so whats the point of adding it? Just fall back and ask someone for a pistol. Or wait untill the coast is clear and recover your gun.

Upvote 0
grammar-nazi.jpg

Upvote 0
Knives would not be a good addition. All that will happen is that RO will evolve into CSS. :p

Honestly how many times do you actually get your weapon shot out of your hands and you are not able to recover your weapon in time to kill the enemy? I have personally only had this happen to me once. Sure it was annoying but it is so rare I didn't mind.
Tim

Upvote 0
You can't effectively kill someone with your fists so whats the point of adding it?

Guess again! Fists are lethal weapons and people break up a lot easier than you'd think!

I'm not saying we should have karate-nazis running around, but having a back-up melee attack would be very nice in situations when you can't run to your weapon.

How about making the melee attack such that it disorientates with the blur effect (I'd like to see this in the butt-stock bash too) unless it hits the head, in which case it may hurt or kill? Body hits would cause less damage. With the blur effect you might be able to score the number of hits that would be required to kill the enemy.

In short: fists = short-ranged "rifle-butt" attack with less damage. Preferably with a blur effect after a successful hit.

I'd like to see something more all-out than a clean punch in the jaw, though.

ALSO, you wouldn't get to choose the melee attack mode. You'd enter it only after all of your weapons had fallen, as a last-resort option.

Upvote 0
If you get hit with a fist in the face its a knock down.
Thats enough for you to grab his gun, and shot him.

Hits to the body = blur and temporary stun effect.

You can punch faster with the fist than bashing with the rifle but or using bayo.
This way you can deleiver maybe 3 punches by the time the rifle butt has done one.

Upvote 0
Possibly, "They're 'knives', not 'knifes'!". :D

I knew it was only a matter of time Nestor.:D I certainly thought the lack of punctuation was ironic but picking over the sentence construction surely must be a manifestation of the pedagogue in you.

Ever so slightly more on topic ; I really don't see why the combat system should be complicated any further when almost every weapon within the game has a melee capability already.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of having some kind of melee weapon fow when you lose your rifle, but from the replies here it seems like the bayonet wouldn't be much use by itself, and in any case surely if you're close enough to use melee attacks your bayonet should be attached to the rifle that you just dropped. However....
id just like map pick ups

so like if you were in a kitchen and ur gun had run out of ammo/ been shot to crap and ud lost it you could run into a kitchen and pick up a knife :D

haha or chuck a brick or piece of stone to confuse the enemy :cool:

I do like this idea and would love to see something like this in game, maybe not with knives to limit the amount of work needed (so mappers don't need to put a usable knife in every kitchen) but perhaps bits or rubble that can be thrown at the enemy, not to damage them but to hinder their aiming. Almost a more useful version of Far Cry's unlimited rocks. It could really add something to just desperately throw rocks at an attacker whilst backpedalling to a position of safety, and it's not like there's a shortage of rubble in most RO maps.

Upvote 0
Couple of things i'd say about addition of knives- I would not want them to appear as part of your rotation of weapons until you drop or are forced to drop other other projectile weapons. As soon as you pick up a slug-thrower, it disappears.
I would also assume troops typically carried a combat knife.
I appreciate peoples concern that knife fighting may not be dealt with realistically: however if we had no melee at all and rifle but-bashing was suggested, many would probably frown upon that - especially if they think of Call of duty.
Thusfar I have never heard complaints about it's implementation in RO, and if knives could be dealt with in the same way, I would love to see them.

Although it also occasionally gets mentioned, I would say shovel bashing is perhaps going too far into 'three stooges' territory.
'I'll murderize ya, you knucklehead!'
>bash<
'Hey, that hurts!'
'Nuk Nuk Nuk' ...and so on.

Upvote 0