• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor lost its "Umph" quite quickly

tha MediC

Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2009
Who here remembers when they first hopped on Killing floor, i know i do.

Solo on Normal biolabs, i ended up welding my self in a room with two doors and oh yeah i loved it, the exhilaration of the adrenaline when they bust a door down and i frantically tried to shoot them all and run down the spiralling stairs.

The "Umph" and "OH GOD RUN!" was lost really quickly i think, you can outrun anything besides some crawlers depending on your weight and perk class/lvl

The AI do not surprise me at all now, and i haven't had any adrenaline pumping since the first few hours. You can run around them and "kite" the entire map solo, the AI are pretty stupid. -.-

Anyone else share the same kinda feeling?

I think it has a lot to do with the simplicity of the AI. Every game all they do is seem to constantly follow you, and in quite an unintelligent way. They need some tricks up their sleeve such as running off when they are near death, or hiding behind objects (or in shadows) waiting to jump out at the players. I think the latter would add a lot to the game.

I also think some of the enemies need to be slightly altered to add some strategy. I don't really have many ideas here, but how about for instance having the Scrake charge at you in a straight line while swinging his chainsaw around, forcing you to try to dodge him? Stuff like that.

Upvote 0
maybe it's just me, but blasting specimens in slo-mo, especially in large numbers, just doesn't get old

i have a blast with this game every time i play it

customs are on the way from plenty of users i'm sure - heck, some are already out, plus TWI will surely do some sort of content update at some point

i'd say KF has started well, and is continuing to do very well

Upvote 0
I've been playing since the mod, and I still don't think this gets old. If you're finding the game is kinda stale: Try a new server, Try a new difficulty, Try for the achievements, Try to rank up all of your "lasses"/perks, Try a custom map or two, or just take a break for a week or soo and come back.

I ended up renting a server after the first week or so, just so me and friends could get on anytime we wanted and play together. I've been playing on normal with a medium length game, and we still have issues with the patriarch :p

Sure the A.I. is simple, most games that are about zombies (specimens in this case) feature an enemy that is pretty "dumb", pretty much programmed to follow you, and if it gets close enough to grab/puke/hit you. What they lack in strategy they make up for in numbers.

Anyways I loved the mod and I love the game, I can see how the game can get stale, but on the otherhand I still get that adrenaline rush when I'm the only one left and there are 30+ specimens incl a FP that get me backed into a corner.

-Komrade

Upvote 0
Rank 5 in every perk with 1 million damage to go for level 5 commando.

I only play on Suicidal as hard is even too easy, pub games annoy me as half the time no one works together, custom maps like kf-shoppingmall i believe (i played it) are frustrating, too dark and poorly made.

Sure getting a massive group kill in ZED mode is beautiful, it's just the game content is becoming stale, and it isn't a challenge no more, everything is predictable.

Not being able to customise the content like textures and get online with them is one of the main problems really, creating a mutator is frustrating and isnt simple, and even with a mutator it only works on solo yet disabled perk levels and progress which is just silly bollucks.

Upvote 0
Haven't got bored of the game a bit. The word 'bored' hasn't even crossed my mind.
Each map, each individual class, and each level of difficulty seems to offer you varying considerations in-as-far-as both teamplay dynamics and individual class strategy.
I'm sure that the producers of such a nearly perfect game have more in store for us humans, so watch out.........

MUHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHMUHAHAHHAHA!

Upvote 0
will not be bored until all achievements are unlocked and all customs maps mastered on all levels.

i do hope all the people that claim "hard and suicidal is just not that challenging" have the steam acheivements to back it up. ;)

it's like RO to people who've played it forever.....there are ways to still make the game entertaining. in RO i make Danzig fun by only using a bolt action rifle to hipshoot and mostly going for stabs or bashes. perhaps with KF, try to eliminate wave 6 on suicide with only a combat knife!! :D

Upvote 0
if you're bored so quick of a game that people have been playing for years, well, go play some world of warcraft lol, it might be up to your speed.
Only like.. 50 people where playing it for years.

The game is pretty predictable, which lots of people don't like.

Retail is definitely longer lasting. It's just different strokes. One persons reply made a ppoint htat a good deal of it has to do with AI.
Or not just AI, but behaviors they can do.
They just spawn near by and walk at you. You just sort of always know what's going to happen before it does.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rank 5 in every perk with 1 million damage to go for level 5 commando.

I only play on Suicidal as hard is even too easy, pub games annoy me as half the time no one works together, custom maps like kf-shoppingmall i believe (i played it) are frustrating, too dark and poorly made.

Sure getting a massive group kill in ZED mode is beautiful, it's just the game content is becoming stale, and it isn't a challenge no more, everything is predictable.

Not being able to customise the content like textures and get online with them is one of the main problems really, creating a mutator is frustrating and isnt simple, and even with a mutator it only works on solo yet disabled perk levels and progress which is just silly bollucks.

This thread really sounds like having way "too much of a good thing" to me.

Maxed out all levels (bar Commando) really is some serious playtime. You're 'bored' of it because you've played it to death. Much like everything in life, you have too much of it, it becomes stagnant and boring.

Even so, it's obviously held your attention long enough to warrant levelling up all those glorious XP points. I'd say you've certainly got your money's worth. :)

Upvote 0