• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor Cinematic Intro

Thanks for the responses :)
Time pending I will try to create another video, not necessarily with the same objective, but incorporating the common suggestions noted.

Well, there is , as someone allegedly once said, "no accounting for taste," but, I wouldn't change a thing. The music conveys a sense of dread and foreboding, and the visuals clearly portray that all isn't well in a measured, understated manner. Plus, it is what you don't see that causes a viewer to experience, not so much a sense of anticipation, but instead, one of apprehension.

It would have been easier to toss together a series of action-oriented clips to illustrate the game's mechanics. But, you chose the more difficult path. You chose to portray the game's mood. I believe you succeeded.

Upvote 0
Its pretty sweet, and as the other guys said, the music and photography is really great.

However, it is quite long for what it is. A trailer similar to that I'd expect to be maybe a minute? Otherwise as the other guys said, more action. I can't see a lot of people watching it all who aren't already die-hard fans. Check out most L4D trailers, and they're packed with action. Admittedly, different style of game, but still.

Upvote 0
The intro billing akin to film "x industries presents a y production!" was rather cheesy, but the way you built tension was outstanding. While this video would have fit the original KF aesthetic perfectly I'd like to call back to an old post by the reliably excellent Gartley:
Without going off on one, I mentioned in an earlier thread that the core aesthetic of KF has changed from what I enjoyed about it. From a bunch of f-ckups and washouts trying to find what weapons they could from the bars and barns of the UK, to robots, chickens and robot chickens wielding laser guns on the surface of the moon. From satire to slapstick.

IMO the Hunting Rifle, Medishotgun, MP5s and the SA80 are almost perfect examples of weapons that fit well within the original KF aesthetic, so I think people are trying bring KF back that way. As KF is now though, you might as well add the chainsword I made. Because it wouldn't be out of place anymore.
If you want to make a good intro to Killing Floor now, all you have to do is mashup a few recordings of some idiot dude brah console peasants (roosterteeth's LP of KF being the archetypical material) and then add a scene of Corporal Lewis knife running from crawlers while the Benny Hill music plays in the background you'd have the perfect KF intro.
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
gave a nice insight on the map atmosphere!

but a person not familiar with kf gets no clue, what the game is even about.

besides that i have to say, naming the specimen just seemed out of place and completely unnecessary. if you wanna present or introduce the specimen, then show them at least.
even more when it is considered some kind of trailer. someone not knowing the game just gets to think: "well, now i heard a bunch of names but have no idea whether those are single characters or some type of characters. additionally i don't even know whether they are friends or foes."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
gave a nice insight on the map atmosphere!

but a person not familiar with kf gets no clue, what the game is even about.

besides that i have to say, naming the specimen just seemed out of place and completely unnecessary. if you wanna present or introduce the specimen, then show them at least.
even more when it is considered some kind of trailer. someone not knowing the game just gets to think: "well, now i heard a bunch of names but have no idea whether those are single characters or some type of characters. additionally i don't even know whether they are friends or foes."
Ditto

What could work would be brief cuts to show each specimen 'at their worst' for just a half second or so with some suitably grisly sounds laid over the top just before/after their name is mentioned and then returning back to the current slower paced footage - kinda the same effect that made the dead island trailer so effective: Dead Island Trailer - YouTube (no comment on the actual game)

Upvote 0
In my opinion KF should have an intro similar to L4D or L4D2. It should show the enemies, some of the characters/skin and some of the weapon of the arsenal.

Alternatively it can be an intro showing HOW we ended like this. I mean the experiments of Kevin, the (failed) forced shutdown tried by the government, the creation of the Patriarch itself, and so on.

If I were good in making videos with SFM or a tool with unreal engine I would have done it.

Upvote 0