• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 1-Retail Image Comparison

The reason, I belive Killing Floor changed its art style is because darkness and gritty textures are normally linked with lazyness, the darkness to mask the uglyness and the grit to add easy details, we would have been slated by reviews if it had gritty textures and was dark in anywhere that didnt have enough detail.

Also that amount of grit is simply unsuitable, the game is only played days after the outbreak, and in general things dont look that ****ed up until atleast 10-15 years of unuse.

Although a new version of the maps with a different style could be interesting :)

Upvote 0
The reason, I belive Killing Floor changed its art style is because darkness and gritty textures are normally linked with lazyness, the darkness to mask the uglyness and the grit to add easy details, we would have been slated by reviews if it had gritty textures and was dark in anywhere that didnt have enough detail.

Also that amount of grit is simply unsuitable, the game is only played days after the outbreak, and in general things dont look that ****ed up until atleast 10-15 years of unuse.

Although a new version of the maps with a different style could be interesting :)

Having spoken to Alex about it, my take on Version 1's grittyness was both the desired art direction and his/the team's limited technical knowledge at the time. I'd love to see ports of version 1's maps and story mode though. :)

Upvote 0