• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kicked: PB failed to initialize

Thanks for directing me to that. I ran the setup and I got this error message:

can't open file C:\Windows/system32/PnkBstrB.exe (error 32: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

edit: I restarted and reinstalled punkbuster and the test completed successfully without error. However when running the setup I noticed it said that pnkbstr B was not running and it had to acquire, then remove a test file?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make sure to Uninstall PB, reboot and then install it.

If that doesn't work try using this link to try and reinstall the services.

[url]http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe[/URL]

Punkbuster can be a bit of a pain if it has been installed by a couple of games, so if you had an older version of it on your PC, you may run into conflicts.

For what it is worth, I'm running Win7 Professional 64bit and my PnkBsrtA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe service files are stored under C:\Windows\SysWOW64 rather than C:\Windows\System32.

Upvote 0
Thanks for directing me to that. I ran the setup and I got this error message:

can't open file C:\Windows/system32/PnkBstrB.exe (error 32: the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

edit: I restarted and reinstalled punkbuster and the test completed successfully without error. However when running the setup I noticed it said that pnkbstr B was not running and it had to acquire, then remove a test file?

You have to kill both PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe by looking them up in the windows task manager and ending those processes before you running pbsvc_hos.exe. pbsvc_hos.exe doesn't kill them if they are already running and due to that can't open them.
Also make sure that both PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe have admin rights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0