• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KFDesctructible Actor - Splash Damage don't work

Tecnologgamer

Apr 18, 2016
Hello!

Well it's a long time I was working for my second KF2 Map and I have to stop because finally enter in collegue.
My second map is like a sequel from my first one and is a garage and I in the age when I was developing it, I see and user post an map layout about a high quality destructible cars and I see and say "Whoa, it's cool, I woud like to use it" and I start to create my own based on that he created, but I want too add some features like damage when explode, and the fire spawning when explode did damage after it exploding and collision.

I did make it, but the Splash Damage function in KFDesctrubile Actor dont' work, I put a high Radius Damage value and even I or the Zeds dont receive damage and the Collisor I put in "Blocked All" and all objects pass through it.

Attachments

• photo18860.jpg
    photo18860.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0
The built in splash damage function doesn't work, you have to create a workaround to get environmental explosion damage.

The way I did it was like this:

1. Create a large DynamicPhysicsVolume around the car, and enable Pain Causing with "explosive" as the damage type. I set the pan interval to something fairly low, like 0.3, and then DISABLE the volume by default.
2. In Kismet I hook up the car to a Take Damage node, which enables the pain volume and then quickly disables it again shortly after - this allows the volume to deal 1 tick of explosion damage and no more, since I want it to simulate a single explosion that only hits once.
3. Wrap the car in a smaller volume to deal Fire damage, which is also enabled on Take Damage and start a fire emitter + light.

Reference image:
Spoiler!

Link to full-size image: http://www.synchaoz.com/kf2/misc/kf2boomcar.jpg

The Summer Sideshow map introduced some new damage volumes that might be better suited and easy to work with for stuff like this, I haven't tried them out yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seanchaoz;n2299455 said:
The built in splash damage function doesn't work, you have to create a workaround to get environmental explosion damage.

The way I did it was like this:

1. Create a large DynamicPhysicsVolume around the car, and enable Pain Causing with "explosive" as the damage type. I set the pan interval to something fairly low, like 0.3, and then DISABLE the volume by default.
2. In Kismet I hook up the car to a Take Damage node, which enables the pain volume and then quickly disables it again shortly after - this allows the volume to deal 1 tick of explosion damage and no more, since I want it to simulate a single explosion that only hits once.
3. Wrap the car in a smaller volume to deal Fire damage, which is also enabled on Take Damage and start a fire emitter + light.

Reference image:
Spoiler!

Link to full-size image: http://www.synchaoz.com/kf2/misc/kf2boomcar.jpg

The Summer Sideshow map introduced some new damage volumes that might be better suited and easy to work with for stuff like this, I haven't tried them out yet.

Hello I follow your pass, and even this don't work. Is necessary create two volume boxes? That box inside Kimset is the yellow on the screen? About I take from Content Browser or from KF actor who I using?

Upvote 0
The large yellow volume is the Explosion one, the small blue one is fire.

The "Take Damage" node needs to be set to match the total health of the desctructible actor.

For example in my map, the cars have 125 health. So my Take Damage minimum damage is 1, and maximum is 125.

You might also be able to use a Destroyed node instead, I haven't tried that but it should work I think.

Upvote 0