• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-SectorC3

mikkou

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2014
sector.jpg

Version: 3c (final)
Map Size: Small/Medium

Description: This is an underground facility with almost fully destructable lighting. This map is intended to be hard and force players to change camping spot often due the increasing darkness. Map still has small guidelights here and there though so you know where you are going even if your flashlight runs out, and a few spots with permanent (altho dim) lights.

Screenshots:

Spoiler!

CHANGE LOG

Spoiler!

Last edited:
I would say: "great map". It looks good. It plays good. Amount of detail you've put in it is amazing...

...but since you've marked it as "final" I must throw a huge stinky turd at your face:

Boss and other big zeds have trouble entering this hallway:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhjlkbcmOyo

This room is a dead end. It doesn't fit the rest of the map.

Upvote 0

Thanks for the constructive criticism.

Updated the map

Changes:
- Fixed the exploits reported, and some more
- Fixed the destructable lights properly
- Fixed some missing pathing in the middle hallway
- Tried to improve the performance a bit, but theres only so much I can do without deleting things unless someone can pinpoint the exact thing thats causing the performance drop.

Included 2 versions, one where only specimens can destroy lights (v3a), and one where players can destroy them as well (v3a1). Just to keep both sides happy.

Upvote 0
Very good map. Layout is ok, graphics and gameplay are correct. It's a solid start in custom mapping.

My own critic : it's very easy to import custom textures and material, too bad we can't have doors, walls and other few details that don't look like the original assets. Would be even better.
That's all !!!

Hope we'll have some other maps of this kind soon !! THX for sharing it !!!

9/10 !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Small update. Im going to submit the map on GameBanana (not for contest tho) so I thought Id polish things up first, most importantly combine the floor tiles so the blood looks better as this wasnt available yet when I made the map (or was but there was no tutorial on it).

Change log below. No, there are no new areas, I was considering it but Id rather save my ideas for future maps considering how little assets we have right now to create something that looks somewat unique...

v3c
- Done some random mesh combining for better blood effects and performance.
- Added a bunch of lights on the doorways to help people navigate in the dark without a flashlight.
- Fixed the lighting near the windows, they now provide better illumination when all other lights have gone out, like intended.
- Fixed vent spawns which were only triggering once per map due my own stupidity.
- Fixed a faulty door or two.
- Other small unnoticable changes...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Small update. Im going to submit the map on GameBanana (not for contest tho) so I thought Id polish things up first, most importantly combine the floor tiles so the blood looks better as this wasnt available yet when I made the map (or was but there was no tutorial on it).

Change log below. No, there are no new areas, I was considering it but Id rather save my ideas for future maps considering how little assets we have right now to create something that looks somewat unique...

The previous version had two variants, did they get merged into one version now?

Upvote 0
The previous version had two variants, did they get merged into one version now?

Yes, sort of.

Originally I wanted to have another version where guns can also destroy the lights just for sake of realism I guess, but then I realized its very rare that you would accidently hit the light unless using a weapon that bounces off walls like the nailgun or eviscerator... So why have this feature other than for people to troll each other? Plus its just confusing having two versions of the same map.

For these reasons the update is only one map, where only grenades and specimens destroy the lights. The map will still get very dark towards the last waves if you dont play carefully.

Upvote 0
Yes, sort of.

Originally I wanted to have another version where guns can also destroy the lights just for sake of realism I guess, but then I realized its very rare that you would accidently hit the light unless using a weapon that bounces off walls like the nailgun or eviscerator... So why have this feature other than for people to troll each other? Plus its just confusing having two versions of the same map.

For these reasons the update is only one map, where only grenades and specimens destroy the lights. The map will still get very dark towards the last waves if you dont play carefully.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Downloaded this to play today. I love it so far. But I did find one problem. In one room the zeds fall out of a vent in the ceiling and die. It only seemed to happen in one room. I'll try and get a screenshot tomorrow if you need one.

Apart from that the map is great. I got 5 new maps today because my wife and I were getting sick of playing the default ones all the time and this is one of the best. Maybe tied for first :p great job.

Upvote 0
Great map!
It's not too hard when you find a convenient spot
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498399514
Zeds there come mostly from one direction and it's easy to hold there.

Rooms look a little bit too similar to each other. Played this map around 10 times already and still can't memorize the layout :) I think may be adding some different lighting to some of them could add variety. E.g. adding red lights in some rooms or corridors.
I think this map's performance could be greatly improved by placing PrecomputedVisibilityVolume brushes in places where players can walk.

Upvote 0
Great map!
It's not too hard when you find a convenient spot
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498399514
Zeds there come mostly from one direction and it's easy to hold there.

This is true, but the darkness will make it very difficult for a full team of 6 people on higher difficulties. Its easier with a smaller team because scrakes have so little health.

Great map!
Rooms look a little bit too similar to each other. Played this map around 10 times already and still can't memorize the layout :) I think may be adding some different lighting to some of them could add variety. E.g. adding red lights in some rooms or corridors.

Agreed, but this was my first map on the new editor so its very simplified for this reason. My future maps were going to be much more complex but so far Ive only released one (Subterrane) because recently I havent had much time to map due real life reasons.

Great map!
I think this map's performance could be greatly improved by placing PrecomputedVisibilityVolume brushes in places where players can walk.

Yes, but so far I havent had much complaints about performance even without it. The thing is, it takes almost 2 hours for me to build the map with precomputed visibility so Im not very excited about adding it. Might be faster for this map because its so small.

But if people feel like they need the performance boost, I might consider it and maybe upgrade the map further while at it (assuming I find the time).

Upvote 0