• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF - Pandoras Box

Matt

Mar 20, 2009
OK this might seem confusing, the map is also available in the KF-Penumbra thread. That thread contains Myles' version. It is a different take on the map and can be checked out here.

My Version has been renamed to its Original Project Name, Pandoras Box. More details about the project can be read in the About .txt document.

Pandoras Box is a relatively small map, feeling claustrophobic and spooky, pretty cold too.

Download Link:

ZED/AM Direct Download
This link will always link to the latest version of the map, if you want to try earlier versions, or want to download the update rather than the entire package, use this link instead.

Screenshots:

Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2

All information is enclosed inside the .7z, you can use WinRAR or 7-zip to open this file.

Dorian's MySpace
If you liked the songs included in Pandora's Box, support Dorian's music! http://www.myspace.com/matthewstonemusic2009

Enjoy :)

Changelog
Code:
v1.0
-----
*Initial Release

-----
v1.5
*Added Mesh Culling in hope to optimize map more(Speedup)
*Removed Money Room Trader, added a pool instead(Improves Gameplay)
*Fixed more pathing issues(Improves Gameplay)
*Lowered Corona LightRadius, not as intrusive now(Improves Graphics)
*Fixed Old Toilet Trader Room door(Stops ruining the atmosphere)
*Made the level sit lower in the Skybox, looks more real(Improves Graphics)
*Changed the filename, aaaaah *facepalm*

----
v2.0
*Moved Reception, its actually a reception now(Improves gameplay, atmosphere)
*got rid of stupid volumetric fog, there's better ways to do it(Speedup)
*Changed snow emitters, It's a snowstorm out there now :D(Speedup, atmoshpere)
*Fixed horrific no collision at Elevator Room!(Gameplay)
*Sorting out Lighting to give you an idea of where you are(Green Sections, Brown Sections, etc)
*Fixed trader bug to do with Cull Distance
*New Skybox, FAR better than the last one.
*[B]Pandora's Box now uses almost no UT2004 content(one Texture)[/B] :)
*More locations added
*Coronas been reworked, you can SEE now \o/
*Start has been removed.  You spawn in the first Room now, much simpler
*Removed random Mesh floating in mid air high above map(Was big lolz for mappers)
*New meshes & textures, courtesy of Myles :D
*Added a new docking bay in replace of weird...back storage
*Fixed trader route vanishing out of the ceiling
*Added vent in long corridor between docking bay and reception area
*You can go outside :D
*Fixed 2 very small BSP Holes
*Moved a trader slightly
*Made the skybox brighter
----
v2.5
*Changed front wall of docking bay, it was Fake Backdrop accidentally
*Revamped outside, its looking rather awesome now
*Damage has been toned down a bit, still hurts, but you can stay outside a lot longer now

Note. Don't try comparing Penumbra to Pandoras Box in terms of talent and which you prefer. Myles had veeery limited time for his version, and had to work his way around my weird way of things... I was working on this thing for a whole year, it's not fair at all :p

Last edited:
These maps that come with music, sfx, textures etc. (like this one and TheHive), do I need to upload all of the files to my redirect? Is it even possible for people to download them, or will they only get the .rom file? Is the .rom all they need? Sorry for all the questions! New at this. =)

Upvote 0
All you need to add to the redirect/server is the .ROM file, its a shame but RO/Ut2004 doesnt redirect music, you will still have to add .USX, .UKX, .UAX and .UTX files though, all of which can be compressed(and have to be unless your server isn't setup with compression). Most mappers however keep their custom materials inside MyLevel, making things easier for server admins :)

@Hazard, 1.That's just KF choosing a random trader, could happen on any map, I hope.
2. The red path follows pathnodes, for traders near vents(Holes in the ceilings), it sometimes thinks you need to get there. I'll try a fix at some point.

I've already noticed a few bugs myself. And will release a hotfix sometime soon, thanks for the comments guys :)
EDIT: Hotfix out! Check first post :) X.5 versions are aimed at fixing bugs & optimization, X.0 versions are aimed at adding new features. E.g.
v1.5 doesn't contain much new stuff, just bug fixes.
Whereas v2 will contain new decorations, maybe places, modified locations, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cool map!

BTW for the 1.5 version, it seems that KF gets confused by the dot so rename your file to something like KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom or KF-PandorasBox.rom for it to work.

I consider this map the best quality of the released custom maps so far and so it's the first custom map to be added to my server. Congrats ;-)

Anyway, I propose that you rename your file to KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom in your release .7z and the servers, so it doesn't have to be redownloaded all the time. It's running under that name on my server (KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom).

Thank you!

I'm looking forward to v2 ;-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cool map!

BTW for the 1.5 version, it seems that KF gets confused by the dot so rename your file to something like KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom or KF-PandorasBox.rom for it to work.

Anyway, I propose that you rename your file to KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom in your release .7z and the servers, so it doesn't have to be redownloaded all the time. It's running under that name on my server (KF-PandorasBoxv1_5.rom).
*Facepalm*
Never checked to see if it works. Alright, changing now. Thanks :)
I've only played in two servers, and this map is in both of them. That's pretty awesome, admins are doing a good job of keeping up to date :D

Upvote 0
I like this version far better, however there seems to be an issue with the map.

Everytime my dedicated server switches maps or even restarts this map it crashes. Can anyone else confirm this?
It crashes when changing from this map to another on my Windows dedicated server as well. Did you include the ogg files in the music folder? I didn't and I wonder if that is an issue.

Upvote 0
All you need to add to the redirect/server is the .ROM file, its a shame but RO/Ut2004 doesnt redirect music, you will still have to add .USX, .UKX, .UAX and .UTX files though, all of which can be compressed(and have to be unless your server isn't setup with compression). Most mappers however keep their custom materials inside MyLevel, making things easier for server admins :).

EDIT: Removed a big chunk of question. Got it sorted out!

Cheers, Matt! I love your map, btw. One of the best user-created maps available at the moment. I have it running on my server next to Prison and a glitch-fixed London. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[FVB] Hazard I agree with what you said about the trader first 3 waves only get 2 traders have played the map several times and ahd the same issue, its nothing major at all might be making the map a bit easy thats all. Great map though best quality i have seen so far. anyone who likes this map try house that is also another cramped high quality map :)

Also try to keep the map the same name that way it will crossover to all servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0