• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-HorzineExpress

LiquidArrow

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
KF-HorzineExpress_V5:
Are you?
FYuHRDp.jpg

Stteam Workshop. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=643840752

Changelist:

UPDATE 10/02/2016:
- If Zeds wonder too far or spawn too far from the train they will now be brought back closer to the train
- Gas Clouds in front and back of the train. They will kill you if you try to pass through them.
- Ambient lighting added throughout level, the cave is the only part that is purepitch black now
- Lighthouse on the cliff section has been added
- Changed train speed
- Added ramps to train that come out during trader wave
- Lowered Grass a Little
- Changed Sky material
- Lighting overall has been adjusted and changed in the map
- Floor for the last 2 sections has been adjusted and should help performance
- Performance tweaking
- Cleaned up Kismet

Summary: Keep by the train or pay the consequences. It is a dark world out there and it only gets darker the more you veer off the tacks. If the darkness doesn't get ya the gas will and well if that doesn't get ya the zeds will. Stay by the train, stay alive, kill some zeds and complete the mission.

Features:
- Moving Train with an onboard Trader.
- The train is the best source of light on the map. Wander to far and you might find yourself in the dark.
- Or you could wander into the gas clouds that Hans approves of
- Expansive map with multiple environments Note: Please report any bugs or exploits and feedback is always welcome :)

Creation:
I initially made KF-Abyss with the concept of having one light source that the players have to stay with. Essentially this makes them move around the map and not just hunker down in the same spot. This was an experimental map (as you can tell if you play) and I knew I wanted to iterate on it but couldn't figure out how to quite do that.

I also made KF-Transient to try and force players to move throughout the map by having the trader be far and wide on a large map. This map sort of pulls it off but felt off when being forced to run and really all people had to do was leave one Zed and run to the next trader. (This map needs a lot of work and I will revisit it later)

KF-HorzineExpress is what I came up with to actually combine and execute both of those concepts.

Reference: As you can tell if you have seen Pitch Black. The lighting from this scene influenced the map .

Last edited:
We're just done playing and its amazing how huge this map is and that you get once around it playing 10 waves.

We also like the many different designs u had for the areas.
In the Cave area with the stoned floor we got some low fps due the reflection of the ground floor(i guess).

Also the first area with the gras is pretty hard cause ur having much lesser space then in other areas. The map limit there is also pretty close to the train.

Sometimes when running in front of the train you get teleported behind it without getting close to the train.

Another thing is that you often stay in the train after the trader time.
Bloats and sirens have a problem catching up to you.
(We hunted a bloat that was 300m away from the trader)

There also seem to be no map limit where you can fall off.

All in all its a good map with alot potencial. :D

Upvote 0
We're just done playing and its amazing how huge this map is and that you get once around it playing 10 waves.

We also like the many different designs u had for the areas.
In the Cave area with the stoned floor we got some low fps due the reflection of the ground floor(i guess).

Also the first area with the gras is pretty hard cause ur having much lesser space then in other areas. The map limit there is also pretty close to the train.

Sometimes when running in front of the train you get teleported behind it without getting close to the train.

Another thing is that you often stay in the train after the trader time.
Bloats and sirens have a problem catching up to you.
(We hunted a bloat that was 300m away from the trader)

There also seem to be no map limit where you can fall off.

All in all its a good map with alot potencial. :D

Currently working on an update right now.

Fixes coming:
  • Fixing performance issues with the rock area. I forgot to turn of shadows fro meshes I used on the floor.
  • Adjusting triggers in the train
  • I am putting a phys volume to kill people that fall

as for zed following the train. That issue is going to take some time to actually resolve as I can't have zeds not spawn when players are at a certain point in the map. I honestly thought the whole zed teleporting thing would fix this for me lol

Upvote 0
I'm not too keen on dark maps and players on my server despise them, but this actually wasn't bad and was well received. It's a pretty awesome design because while its dark the radius of the train light makes not so impossible to see and prepare which is appreciated. You did a great job on the design, very immersive.

I would request you speed up the train a bit. Currently its waaaay too slow, but hopefully you can find a balance so that it won't be impossible to keep up with. Also, got some complaints about frame drops throughout portions of the map which I experienced too.

But overall great job. This map has potential to be great fun and I have to say it is your best yet.

EDIT: I will check out the V1 update and give new feedback later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not too keen on dark maps and players on my server despise them, but this actually wasn't bad and was well received. It's a pretty awesome design because while its dark the radius of the train light makes not so impossible to see and prepare which is appreciated. You did a great job on the design, very immersive.

I would request you speed up the train a bit. Currently its waaaay too slow, but hopefully you can find a balance so that it won't be impossible to keep up with. Also, got some complaints about frame drops throughout portions of the map which I experienced too.

But overall great job. This map has potential to be great fun and I have to say it is your best yet.

EDIT: I will check out the V1 update and give new feedback later.

Thank you for the feedback! Glad you are enjoying it.

The trains speed will need some tweaking. If it goes to fast its very hard to catch up with if far behind and can also mess with AI-pathing but I will mess around increasing it a bit and see how I like it.

Performance fixes among other changes will be coming in V2. V1 didn't seem to fully fix the frame drop in the rocky areas but V2 should. I just had way to many meshes on the floor lol.

Upvote 0
Hey everyone. The update is still being worked on for this map. Has anyone ran into any bugs or exploits and or issues aside from the following.

- Zeds getting stuck or not found in Grass and Snow area before cave
- Guns getting stuck under track
- FPS issues in rocky areas
- Short delay with teleporting into the game resulting in a black screen
- Not being teleported out of train until moving a bit.
- Not dying when falling off the cliffside

All of these issues should be resolved in the upcoming V2 update along with a number of other additions.

Upvote 0
In regards to FPS drops in the rocky area, do they Allow Reflections?

I have noticed that having reflections turned on for rock meshes really sucks a lot of FPS, and you don't even notice the reflection effects on them usually so turning them off often gives a big performance boost at no aesthetic loss. Especially if they are very large meshes like upscaled cave floors/walls and such.

Upvote 0
In regards to FPS drops in the rocky area, do they Allow Reflections?

I have noticed that having reflections turned on for rock meshes really sucks a lot of FPS, and you don't even notice the reflection effects on them usually so turning them off often gives a big performance boost at no aesthetic loss. Especially if they are very large meshes like upscaled cave floors/walls and such.

Aside from doing that when pressing F4 on a mesh. Do I need to take another step to make them not use reflections?

Upvote 0
This has become one of my favorite maps. I can't wait for v2 because a lot of things that put a damper on the gameplay have been covered. Biggest one being slow zed spawn/ lost zeds.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

I am making the spawns more rapid and tightening how far they spawn away in hope of making zeds not get lost in the dark so players don't have to hunt them down.

In addition to that there are a good amount of other visual changes to some areas and I think everyone will be pleased with my attempt to tie this map into bioticlabs and blackforest with some subtle visual hints :)

Upvote 0
New Update is out an can be downloaded here

Screenshots here http://imgur.com/gallery/5T8Gt

V2 Changelist:
- Spawnrate increase, this should fix the zed getting lost as well.
- Added more precise collision to train tracks
- Pathing improvements
- Train speed very slightly increased
- Improved teleporting for train and when spawnig in
- The trader path seems to be working better with the train
- FPS issues should be fixed, if not please let me know
- Changed customization and starting area to be the elevators leading down to biotic labs
- Visual changes on train, including a tie in to blackforest with some baby clotmothers on-board
- Aurora Borealis added to outside snow area
- Fire and ashfall added to the rocky ravine area
- Flowers added to forest
- Changed up tunnel visuals a bit
- Improved boss spawning so they don't start far away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UPDATE: I had to release a hotfix since my attempts to improve the collision on the tracks failed horribly lol

2-1 is out now on moddb and gamebanana

Another Update: After playing a couple of round online it is apparant that the spawns still need work and the train needs slowed down as it is leaving zeds in the dark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tried v2-1, but didn't get very far because the last 3 zeds of wave 1 weren't turning up.

The spawn distance for areas by the cave were much to far. I am looking into it and putting up trigger volumes in the tunnels so if players are in them zeds will spawn in front and not in back. The biggest issue at the moment is the transition out of the tunnels and zeds getting stuck there.

Upvote 0