• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Defence_Thyself

Thanks, I have this thing where if there's something I don't understand, no matter how small or insignificant, it bothers me and I can't stop thinking about it until I solve it.

No worries, that sounds pretty bad though, sounds like a curse. I'd recommend you play some KF-Defence_Thyself day version for that. I hear the bird sounds are pretty relaxing.

Upvote 0
I have day_fin2 playing on my server and have it re-directing to Skillz FTP. People are joining without problems. Could be the server cache? I'm not very good with the server stuff. You need a PhD just to setup a server and troubleshoot it if something goes wrong.

Don't know what to tell you about the thunder, you mentioned you had a couch sized stereo haha, that's pretty overkill man, you gonna blow your ears out. I asked people playing on my server about the sound and they all said it wasn't too loud.

I actually reduced the thunder sounds as well after you mentioned they were too loud. Any lower, it won't sound like thunder anymore.
i must have downloaded the map between overwrites, i downloaded it again it loads correctly.

the animal sounds are tolerable now but the thunder is still incredibly loud on my end. but as i mentioned, my system is 2.0, plain stereo, it is not a surround sound system.
and though my system is very powerful and accurate, the volume of my speakers isn't the issue. i still find the volume of the thunder to be disproportionally loud in the audio mix, to the point where all other sounds are almost completely drowned out of the mix by the thunder. and it still seems to happen a bit too frequently imo, like every ten seconds may be a bit much, even if it wasn't the dominant sound in the mix but you may have no control over that.
i checked it out in my headphones too, which are also standard 2.0 stereo, and it's the same story, the thunder is literally, painfully loud when all the other sounds are at a comfortable volume.
it also doesn't help that it's not the best recording of thunder I've ever heard, the frequencies are very heavy in lower mid-range with a high and low frequency cut-off but that's beside the point.
i guess i'll have to stick to the day map even though i prefer the look of the night map. i wouldn't lie to you, it's that bad.

Upvote 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxvLJkxbEAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxvLJkxbEA here is a gameplay video to get the feel of the map, its very well made thanks for this

Thanks man. This the kind of music you listen to while playing KF? You're a strange man mate, glad you're enjoying the map. By the way, I didn't see any lightning in the video, is that really the Fin3 version? Would really like to know what the lightning and thunder look and sound like for other players.

DOOMJESUS said:
i guess i'll have to stick to the day map even though i prefer the look of the night map. i wouldn't lie to you, it's that bad.

I'd hate there to be too many multiple versions of this map out there but if more people think the lightning and thunder are too loud, I'll upload a version without them.

Upvote 0
Thanks man. This the kind of music you listen to while playing KF? You're a strange man mate, glad you're enjoying the map. By the way, I didn't see any lightning in the video, is that really the Fin3 version? Would really like to know what the lightning and thunder look and sound like for other players.

i got tired of the kf2 soundtrack after a week, also its fin2. i will catch a fin3 game soon

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd hate there to be too many multiple versions of this map out there but if more people think the lightning and thunder are too loud, I'll upload a version without them.
i do like the map a good bit but, wow, that thunder is very loud, i can't play it.

also you may want to note the thunder and animal noises are not muted by the overlay like all the other sounds in the game are, which may indicate a problem.
also, you have managed to make the animal sounds much more tolerable, i hardly notice them now unless i am physically close to the source. maybe the sound of the thunder is reaching too far a distance? occlusion?

i wonder if perhaps there are some additional properties for the audio which can be edited, that you may have overlooked.

i'd sure like to be able to enjoy that map again. but it's ok.

Upvote 0
i do like the map a good bit but, wow, that thunder is very loud, i can't play it.

also you may want to note the thunder and animal noises are not muted by the overlay like all the other sounds in the game are, which may indicate a problem.
also, you have managed to make the animal sounds much more tolerable, i hardly notice them now unless i am physically close to the source. maybe the sound of the thunder is reaching too far a distance? occlusion?

i wonder if perhaps there are some additional properties for the audio which can be edited, that you may have overlooked.

i'd sure like to be able to enjoy that map again. but it's ok.

I haven't overlooked (m)anything(s) mate, its all intentional, but god damn you're one persistent sonavagun.

I updated my original post with a link to KF-Defence_Thyself_Night_NW (which stands for No Weather). This version has no lightning and thunder and its only for people with first world problems of owning couch sized sound systems.

Upvote 0
I haven't overlooked (m)anything(s) mate, its all intentional, but god damn you're one persistent sonavagun.

I updated my original post with a link to KF-Defence_Thyself_Night_NW (which stands for No Weather). This version has no lightning and thunder and its only for people with first world problems of owning couch sized sound systems.
actually it's the same behavior in my little wireless headset as well. i wasn't insisting that you take action, really. i was prepared to stop playing the map, i just thought you wanted the feedback. but thank you for doing that, i will check it out for sure.

so the thunder and birds not being muted along with all the rest of the game sounds when using the steam overlay is your intended operation?
why is that? i have to wonder.
somehow i think the game sounds being muted by the steam overlay is what tripwire intended, it seems only logical. do you really want people to have to alt-tab if they want to view their friends list or go to the desktop just to mute the game if they get a phone call or something? that seems odd but i guess you have your reasons, if that's what you really meant to do.

thanks again.

Upvote 0
so the thunder and birds not being muted along with all the rest of the game sounds when using the steam overlay is your intended operation?
why is that? i have to wonder.
somehow i think the game sounds being muted by the steam overlay is what tripwire intended, it seems only logical. do you really want people to have to alt-tab if they want to view their friends list or go to the desktop just to mute the game if they get a phone call or something? that seems odd but i guess you have your reasons, if that's what you really meant to do.

thanks again.

I didn't intend for it actually, I'm not sure why custom sounds are not muted when you alt-tab. It used to happen to me in KF1 from time to time but doesn't in KF2. Maybe it's because I made those sounds server side. Anyway, every time you play this map and alt-tab away, you'll get a good dose of chirping birds and be reminded of me, I'm ok with that lol.

Upvote 0
I didn't intend for it actually, I'm not sure why custom sounds are not muted when you alt-tab. It used to happen to me in KF1 from time to time but doesn't in KF2. Maybe it's because I made those sounds server side. Anyway, every time you play this map and alt-tab away, you'll get a good dose of chirping birds and be reminded of me, I'm ok with that lol.
actually, what i meant to say was that minimizing the game is the only way to silence the sounds of the thunder and birds at this point.

invoking steam's in-game overlay is supposed to mute the game, at least that seems to be the intention. yet bringing up the overlay does not mute the additional sounds. the only way to not hear them, is to minimize the game, that's all.

NW seems to work well, it's a pleasure to play it sans the thunderstorm.

Upvote 0
i tried it. it seems that all but the last nine or ten monsters spawn initially with the first squad on every wave. i don't see the point in dumping all the monsters for the wave on the screen at one time. i'll be sticking with fin 2 or maybe even beta 3.

i don't understand why you keep making revisions, it was about perfect with beta 3. sometimes there is beauty in simplicity and less is more. i think you are turning this into something that it wasn't supposed to be and making endless revisions isn't going to help but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0