• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katana draw-strike, bugged?

CrashFu

Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2014
Ohio
I was playing around with using the Katana alongside a Hunting Shotgun today; I figured since the drawback of the hunting shotgun is having to reload after every (other) shot, and the benefit of the katana is being able to attack AS you swap to it, these would make a lovely combo.. Lead with the shotgun for heavy damage and if its still standing, take its head off with the blade and clear out any other nearby trash before I switch back, reload, and repeat..

But the draw-strike never seemed to work when I switch to it immediately after firing the shotgun. It works just fine if I'm not doing anything before the switch.

Is this working as intended? Are we not meant to combo the draw-strike right after discharging another weapon? Or is there some kind of glitch at work that shouldn't be happening? Anyone else tried this, and have the same issue?

I feel like it SHOULD work the way I was attempting, because that's really the only time I'd WANT to have that ability. If I was just going to forgo shooting my gun when a zed sneaks up on me and cut straight to the katana, I would have kept the katana readied in the first place?

Seeing how tripwire likes things to be reflected off real world (save some gameplay exceptions) in no way could anyone fire a weapon and have a blade swing down before the fire animation even ends or 0.01 seconds after.
This delay is fine the way it is. Don't nit pick at it.

Also you answered your own question.
"Is this working as intended?" - Yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seeing how tripwire likes things to be reflected off real world (save some gameplay exceptions) in no way could anyone fire a weapon and have a blade swing down before the fire animation even ends or 0.01 seconds after.

There's a problem with your reasoning, buddy. By that logic you wouldn't be able to swap weapons at all immediately after firing. (I mean who holsters a weapon while the safety is still off and the barrel is still red-hot and smoking? Good way to burn yourself. THAT'S realism, but it wouldn't make for a very fun game.)

And a katana draw-attack doesn't mean drawing the weapon and THEN swinging it, it means you draw it in such a way that it slices someone AS you're pulling it out.

Now, given that this draw-attack feature, specific to the katana, is completely and utterly pointless if we can't do it as a follow up to firing a weapon, I'm going to wait on a more educated opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm reading this post fine as it is, even from mobile.

The problem here is you read your own post and got me confused with it. I'll edit your name into your self-reply if I could.

Please educate me more on Samurai, I'm clearly from the west and have no idea how to wield one correctly. American Sensei teach me. What is this mechanic where the base hurts while it's always drawn?
That's as much sarcasm as I can bare typing just for you.

I'll wait for someone who knows what "exceptions" means. I can offer teaching you however.

Upvote 0

How can you confirm that is something intended if you are not a member of tripwire?

CrashFu's question makes sense because this is the only time you would want to use the quick draw. He is not asking for a change, he is asking if this is what they intended to do, or if the current katana is not working properly.

No one other than tripwire could answer this question.

Also this "tripwire likes things to be reflected off real world" isn't a strong argument, I don't see a Pulverizer, an Eviscerator or a Healing Rifle reflecting the real world.

SOME things are based off real world, not the entire game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How can you confirm that is something intended if you are not a member of tripwire?

CrashFu's question makes sense because this is the only time you would want to use the quick draw. He is not asking for a change, he is asking if this is what they intended to do, or if the current katana is not working properly.

Actually we have proof it is intended as a feature.

https://youtu.be/TkQstOLz83I?t=334

And as I have used the katana quickdraw strike I can say it does infact work.

No need for tripwire to answer this at all.

Upvote 0
Actually we have proof it is intended as a feature.

https://youtu.be/TkQstOLz83I?t=334

And as I have used the katana quickdraw strike I can say it does infact work.

No need for tripwire to answer this at all.

We know that it works in general, the issue I was bringing up is that (for me at least) it doesn't work if I try it right after firing a weapon.

As in: fire gun, hit three, hold down attack buttton.. no draw-strike.

Have you been able to get it to work right after firing a weapon, or is it only working if you switch weapons while not doing anything?

I feel like I should also test to see if it works immediately after doing a gun bash, 'cause that would be a fun combo, too.

Upvote 0
This is a bug.

When you shoot the hunting shotgun(both shells or the last shell inside) and switch to the katana, you'll hear a clicking noise. That is the sound of the shotgun not having ammunition and forcing you to reload. The fix is to remove the automatic reload(no option yet, why tripwire?) when there is no ammunition or, alternatively fire one shell and switch to the katana.

Upvote 0
This is a bug.

When you shoot the hunting shotgun(both shells or the last shell inside) and switch to the katana, you'll hear a clicking noise. That is the sound of the shotgun not having ammunition and forcing you to reload. The fix is to remove the automatic reload(no option yet, why tripwire?) when there is no ammunition or, alternatively fire one shell and switch to the katana.

Ah, very interesting. Thank you for the insight, Engineer.

If you're right, then I look forward to the bug getting fixed. This should be a fun weapon combo to play with... maybe even more-so as the Martial Artist perk, when it is released?

Upvote 0
Ah, very interesting. Thank you for the insight, Engineer.

If you're right, then I look forward to the bug getting fixed. This should be a fun weapon combo to play with... maybe even more-so as the Martial Artist perk, when it is released?

I suppose every melee perk will have some kind of ranged weapons, like in KF1 I roll M79 GL with berserker to clear crawlers. If I can have this draw attack work as intended, I will continue to have a GL at hand in KF2 melee perks too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suppose every melee perk will have some kind of ranged weapons, like in KF1 I roll M79 GL with berserker to clear crawlers. If I can have this draw attack work as intended, I will continue to have a GL at hand in KF2 melee perks too.

I feel like there may be some logistics problems with trying to safely fire off the grenade launcher while you have something that needs slashing a mere second after, but let us know how it goes! When they give us the GL to play with, that is.

With any luck the grenade will trigger Zed Time, letting you severe some heads while the explosion still lingers in the background. Maximum style points.

Upvote 0
I feel like there may be some logistics problems with trying to safely fire off the grenade launcher while you have something that needs slashing a mere second after, but let us know how it goes! When they give us the GL to play with, that is.

With any luck the grenade will trigger Zed Time, letting you severe some heads while the explosion still lingers in the background. Maximum style points.

In KF1 what I did is not shoot the zeds, but the ground, as the damage of GL is enough to gib everything up to stalkers, I rather not hurt myself or waste the GL up close (so it doesnt explode).

Upvote 0