• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Katana + Axe or Claymore + Axe?

Xbow + Dual 44 magnums
or even
LAR+HC+Dual 44 magnums
Or you could use M14 + dual HCs + single .44 (+ 9mm)
Or just one HC, if you'd rather have three guns with sights instead of an emergency 2000 damage doable in 2 seconds.

For kiting/roaming, when you can set the pace, I find that the claymore pretty much does the job of both the katana and axe. But if you're not running around with the zeds following you like baby ducks, I can certainly see where a katana's speed would be preferable. The claymore is faster, stronger, and seemingly farther-reaching than the axe, leaving only two favorable attributes to the axe: cheapness, and being lightweight enough to carry a xbow with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Off perk against HoE crawlers, I imagine a SCAR would do you well if you got your hands on one, thanks to a moderately high capacity and ammo reserve, and killing with a double taps. A .44 would do better than handcannon/s, since both kill crawlers in two hits and .44s have more ammo reserve, and a single .44 only weighs 2. You do lose 2 capacity and some penetration, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Downgrade from what?
M4 is between the L22A1 and the AK47. That means, yes, it's a "downgrade" from the AK in terms of damage. However, it has a faster rate of fire and higher maximum ammunition capacity then the AK. In those two aspects, you could consider it an "upgrade."

A few posts from the Tripwire team have mentioned "sidegrades" as a goal. Weapons that are similar to, but not a clear upgrade from, a comparable weapon. That's exactly what the M4 is when compared to the AK. If the M4 was better than the AK in every single aspect, why bother using it? Instead of most Commando players recommending AK/SCAR as an all assault-rifle load-out, they'd (probably) suggest M4/SCAR instead.

After all the clamoring for variety in the Ideas & Suggestions section, we get some official (not white-listed, official) weapons. :D

The problem is that they're not priced as sidegrades. The combat shottie & husk cannon are both pretty expensive while arguably being a sidegrade to the regular tier 1 weapon, making them not quite worth their price.

I'm of the opinion that they were intentionally released underpowered so as to not risk upsetting balance at initial release.

Upvote 0
The problem is that they're not priced as sidegrades. The combat shottie & husk cannon are both pretty expensive while arguably being a sidegrade to the regular tier 1 weapon, making them not quite worth their price.

I'm of the opinion that they were intentionally released underpowered so as to not risk upsetting balance at initial release.

I could see releasing them a little underpowered. It's probably better that people comment on them not being strong enough than being too strong.

I've only used the husk cannon on the later waves, so money's usually not an issue by then. But it's definitely more expensive than the Firebug's other weapons, especially since we spawn with a flamethrower now on level six! :D

As for the combat shotgun, despite the smaller magazine (well, not magazine, carry capacity, I guess) and the price, I'd say it's worth it considering the following video. ^_^

KF Support with CSG + HSG (Combat shotgun and Hunting Shotgun) - YouTube

Upvote 0
I could see releasing them a little underpowered. It's probably better that people comment on them not being strong enough than being too strong.

I've only used the husk cannon on the later waves, so money's usually not an issue by then. But it's definitely more expensive than the Firebug's other weapons, especially since we spawn with a flamethrower now on level six! :D

As for the combat shotgun, despite the smaller magazine (well, not magazine, carry capacity, I guess) and the price, I'd say it's worth it considering the following video. ^_^

KF Support with CSG + HSG (Combat shotgun and Hunting Shotgun) - YouTube

HSG is more than enough for both sk and fp....

two nade + 2 HSG = dead fp.

Btw, how can you spawn xmas zed in test map? When I load testmap, I can only spawn invisible zeds that cannot attack.

Upvote 0