• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just a couple of suggestions and appraisals

SturmSS

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2007
Hello!

I havent posted here much and been lurking in the shadows - if you will. I'm excited for the new Red Orchestra as I've had the previous since it came out and absolutely fell in love with its attention to realism and what I would see as a rather revolutionary style. I appologize beforehand because I'm sure like all newbies I'm going to cop some "Oh ma gawd thats been posted already L2search" from one user or another - but I have quite a lot of diverse things to talk about so I would like to spare you from spamming multiple topics and threads.

I've watched the gameplay video and have some likes and dislikes which I've ordered to make it easier - as well as some suggestions at the end

What I like with the new (and old) RO:
*After watching the RO:HoS gameplay video I was quite happy to find out some small details where are added, particularly the ability for bullets to shoot through thinner materials. I also like the weapon against wall addition as that certainly adds to realism and like the fellow on the video mentioned it makes it seem like you just dont have this gun sticking from your screen but actually in the game.

*I'm glad that the weapon movement is kept as in the original RO (not surprised because it was a great idea) as it doesnt promote the petty pray 'n' spray (or atleast doesnt make it as effective).

*I love the new blind shooting tactic as many a time have I been pinned down and powerless to do anything other than rely on team mates requesting some sort of help although futile. (I just hope this tactic isnt just restricted to being behind an object like the gameplay video showed - but in a lot more instances, say you're in a ditch pinned down or lying down with a slight rise of land protecting you)

Dislike with the new RO:
*One thing that I did notice in the gameplay video was when the iron sights were up the view was zoomed in - which although is something we're conditioned to thanks to the Call of Duty series and a bit of nit picking I know takes away realism IMO. I much prefered how when you looked down the iron sights in the original RO you didnt have that luxury of having this artificial zoom in, but relying on your own eye sight (and praying that your graphics card would serve you well) which made it quite challenging as you were squinting at what you thought was a possible enemy soldier and because of that lack of zoom you had to be much more attentive.

*What I dont like is the fact that the objectives and information comes up on the screen frequently as shown on the gameplay video. It is kinda in the way and annoying. I liked how sometimes you had the opportunity to capture a point with secrecy instead of being betrayed to your enemies by big white text alerting your enemy on his screen that you are capping his point - Although I do like how there is that option of bringing up the command points to atleast show you where to go.

*I also dont really like the minimap on the bottom right hand of the screen as it just Call of Duty-izes the game and is not particularly realisitc. I loved how Red Orchestra was the bear minimum. Things were alerted on the bottom of the screen discretely (so you could still pay attention to the important battle and what ever is alerting you on the bottom) and you had to open up your map and look where you are and where you had to go. Sure I understand some maps are quite complex and hard to manuever around however you just have to make do and in a lot of instances in life thrown in the deep end!

Suggestions:
*I hope that hand to hand combat is emphasised and promoted as in the first game but only more - that most certainly was one of my highlights of Red Orchestra as the close quarters combat was just brutal. I always enjoyed a bayonet duel in a desperate attempt to kill the enemy before he got the privilege of defeating myself first. It was quite frantic trying to finish the enemy in that circumstance and in a lot of instances much easier to melee your enemy when in close range rather than reload your bolt (or clip) and try to shoot him at such a dangerously close range. I've read some of the suggestions about how there should be more animations and attacks for melee like in the CoD/MoH games - like a swing or some other attacks rather than the thrust of the bayonet or whack with the butt. Perhaps something like a swing could "stun" the enemy (which would be some sort of shellshock like animation that would put you at disadvantage) where you could finish him off with one fell swoop of the charged up butting action.

*Something which I hope improves in the next Red Orchestra is that when you get your weapon shot from your hand and dropping everything (I'm sure its something we all hate) especially in the heat of combat - and having to pick up your ammo and gun can be incredibly annoying. Perhaps if you got shot in your hand an animation of a forced lowering of your gun (and putting you at disadvantage) instead of dropping it entirely as in most instances your other hand would be on the gun (but of course that would depend on what gun you're wielding etc). Or atleast spare the poor ammo! and just have to pick up your gun. A bit of a continuation - but I think it would be good if your shooting accuracy and steadiness could be hindered due to your wounds (and being shot in the hand for example) but I do say I like the breath holding/breathing pattern introduced.

*Gore anyone? I dont want it to be some total bloodbath and I know there is some when grenades hit the sweet spot so to speak and limbs are blown off. But sometimes when you get hit you dont die - so a gunshot wound would be a nice aesthetic thing to see your comrades have to just show what combat they've been through or bruising (however would of course only be visible on the face or other body parts visible) or even cuts for that matter - because I know that some of the models in Red Orchestra seemed quite battered - but it would be really something if you could see the gradual change of a fresh soldier who just starts a round change to a worn and beaten grunt (albeit 5 minutes of intense fighting).
But it would also be nice when someone dies for a little blood to be shed - nothing too ridiculous as in some games. Or sometimes a little bit sprayed against the wall from an exit wound or whatnot.

There are all sorts of tiny almost insignificant things that I could add and I'm sure have crossed our minds but I've seen quite a few postings from people just saying to keep it to the essentials which I totally agree with. I think for the time being just to keep it to things which are noticble and dont take too much intense observation to appreciate. Other than that I am quite happy with the current realism of Red Orchestra and where this game would seem to be going.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings!

Nice name. :rolleyes:

Anyways concerning your dislike points, first you can find a thousand explanations by the devs if you would use the search function. For your second point: It's a button that lets you view the objectives ect; if it annoys you dont press the button.

I guess the minimap won't be there in the realism setting, but don't quote me on this.

Your suggestions have been brought up a million times here allready and are generally wished for points. (I guess everyone agrees with this ;))

Upvote 0
Good points for likes and dislikes!

I think is good to re-create news topics (with old similar forgave subjects)

Members can't see all post... And the "search" edit is not perfect... (and 90% not a reflex...)

It's good to re-see and re-talk important subjects...

No, it's not. Because re-creating the same things over and over makes new and possible good ideas disappear too fast.

If we like an idea, we will not forget it. Spamming an idea doesn't make us magically like it after we read it the nth time. Quite the opposite, actually.

Upvote 0