• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jamming weapons

Fatal_Finn

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Couldn't find this from the stickied thread so decided to create an new one~

Would you like to see weapon jamming as a feature in RO2/RS? This game aims for realism but still the guns work perfectly all the time.
By jamming I mean randomly shooting a ''dud'' or weapon fails to load new ammo after firing (semi/full auto). Problem could be solved by simply reloading weapon and/or removing the mag.

What do you think? Yes or No?

Who wants to play a FPS game with even more RNG. Imagine flanking a bunch of people then *CLICK* then your dead.

I have have a less individualistic approach to RO. It's all about two teams fighting each other in a war setting. And jams are part of that. You died because of a jam? Too bad, welcome to the war kid, maybe next time get someone to cover your back:D

Upvote 0
Personally I think it would end up frustrating more people than adding anything good into the game.

I doubt it will ever be added, but if it did I'd like to see it be a server side option. With that said and knowing most servers would have jamming off, it probably not worth the devs time to do it.

This! The first few times you might be killed due to a jammed weapon might seem cool. But raging will ensure shortly thereafter....

Upvote 0
This! The first few times you might be killed due to a jammed weapon might seem cool. But raging will ensure shortly thereafter....

Maybe it would encourage people to attack/defend with a partner/group instead of running solo with Thompson?

Nah, I guess co-operation would be kinda impossible if not playing with friends :p Even attacking with whole squad to marked position is hard enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From a realistic perspective, it's a good idea, but I don't think realism translates to fun gameplay all the time. Keep in mind that red orchestra is still a GAME, and it is to have fun in. I keep an open mind about ideas like these, I'd happily welcome it to test on a beta server but I of course have my doubts. A mechanic like this may leave a player thinking that he has been cheated by the game, and will feel like he's been played unfairly.

Should it be introduced, I think it should be a server side thing only, not a global change to all servers.

Upvote 0
You're mostly thinking that it would suck if your weapon jammed but it could happen to your enemy as well and be a life saver for you.

And if the weapon jamming was rare enough, let's say like once in a match on average, would it still be game breaking?

But yeah I guess it would be hard to make the feature fair for everyone. RNG means there would still always be someone who's weapon worked perfectly all the time.

Thanks for your opinions :)

Upvote 0
WE NEED IT!
Weapon jamming is great way to balance guns and add realism.

Is there any reason to have stick magazines in PPSh-41? no...
But in real life drum magazine was downgrade.
MG-34 is better in DP-28 in every way.. but it was much less reliable.
G41 is great in the game and bolt action rifles are worse then semi automatic rifles. But semi automatic rifles were less reliable. It should be added to the game because reliability is gun attribute just like accuracy and rate of fire. Without that weapons are incomplete.

Upvote 0
it would greatly help with balancing weapons and realism. anyone who says it wouldn't be fun from the gameplay perspective and because rng, america's army had jamming and there wasn't any problem with it.

of course, there are much bigger problems with the game currently (and often a lot easier to fix), and seeing how much "progress" we've seen after the release, it's really naive to believe anything like this would ever get implemented.

Upvote 0
it would greatly help with balancing weapons and realism. anyone who says it wouldn't be fun from the gameplay perspective and because rng, america's army had jamming and there wasn't any problem with it.

I used to play AA3; in roughly 60 hours of playtime I only encountered a jam ONCE in a MP game. It wasn't a problem because it barely happened (that or my playstyle meant it would never happen! :p).

I say no to weapon jamming.

Upvote 0
It worked fine in Americas army . Was rather rare after they fixed the "bug" with the m16. Actually seemed about right for a warn out M16 using worn out mags.... a jam every 3rd magazine or so. :eek: After that fix was more at the 1 malfunction per 280 rounds or so like the real thing. this average rate per 10000 rounds. This is from memory so could be way off. Also was some weird thing where it would go through X many rounds before cleaning. Well from experience the m16/m4 starts to screw up at around the 300 round mark with no cleaning. You know many hours I spent cleaning my m4 in Iraq? Well I don't know but I totally hate the m4/m16/ar15 design after that.

Little extra excitement would not be so bad....

Upvote 0