• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is there a non steam version of this game?

guyguyga

Dec 21, 2013
I don't hate steam, it's just that it's kind of incompetent at times. Is there a version that I can buy that doesn't feed through steam servers? I've looked it up, but I haven't found an official non steam version. Am I just wishing for something that doesn't exist? Are all copies steam-infused?

TWI are Steamworks developers. They aren't going to make a PC game that doesn't require Steam. Steam does a lot of stuff for them on the backend. It helps with stat tracking, server browsing, friends list integration, achievements, cloud saving, etc. This is why I personally hate it when a game doesn't use Steamworks features.

Upvote 0
The problem with making a non-Steam version is that they would have to cut a lot of features, essentially making two different versions of the games. Given all the ways it will make use of Steam, I'm not sure why you'd want it without it anyway. Steam might not be 100% reliable, but I certainly haven't encountered many problems. Once in a blue moon I can't connect to Steam because it's down but that's usually a brief period of time.

Upvote 0