• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is RO OSTFRONT any different

Definitely worth the money.

But I also belong somewhat to the party that prefers the mods days to the current times.

Among my favorite maps were RO_Jucha and RO_Berlin, both sadly not ported. Also the hipshooting in the mod was better in my opinion. Bayonetting was better in the mod. Rest is better in retail (smoother gameplay, ability to lean, etc..).

Also the community as a whole took a step down and up in my opinion. More players, however a nauseous amount of times I can recount being team killed and team naded. Which in itself is not so bad. However most don't bother apologising like in the mod. In the mod you tk'ed someone you better say "sry" to which came the normal "np" or you had it coming for you.
Although I must say I was recently on a server where the admin put that in the server rules and kicked anyone who did not apologise after tking. Brought a smile to my face and back a sense of the old school RO of respect and manners.

Upvote 0
I wasn't 'tuned in' in the mod days, but I can tell you without reservation that RO is definitely worth purchasing. Yes, we all have nitpicky issues with it sometimes (just as we do with every other game/sim we play), but in the main it's the best you're going to find on the market.

(Is it just me, or has RO become synonymous with 'steep learning curve'? You hear the two together so often...!)

Upvote 0
RO is totaly worth it! Here are some reasons why its a good buy and how it's different from the mod:

1. Great teamwork gameing. People who play this game online like to work togather. You don't get as many lone wolfs as you did in the mod. Even Snipers tend to stick with the team and move up with them. Albet a little farther behind than the rest of the team for sure but they can be a big help, and sniper dules happen often.

2. No more VOIP issues from the mod that made communicateing impossable. Comunitcateing is easy and simple to set up.

3. Better weapon sounds, good looking hit effects, and an added camra shake when bullets wize by your head make the game more emursive than the mod ever was.

4. No buggy tanks, and APCs!

5. Better looking and better playing weapons! Sniper rifles are exelent long range weapons. MGs can block off entire attack routes, and Smoke nades can make cover for advanceing troops and vehicles. Atry is deadly, and sounds great. It even zaps some color off the screen! MGs are easy to set up and with a choice of the MG42, or MG34, or DT28 you got planty of ways to play! There are also new weapons like the fallowing:

Russians:

M44

Germans:

G41
MP41

6. The ammount of vehicles per side means your never tired of seen them on the battlefield:

Russians:

T-34/76
T-34/85
T-60
KV1S
IS2
SU-76
Universal Carrier
AB-64

Germans:

Panzer3
Panzer4 F1
Panzer4 F2
Panzer4 H
Panther
Tiger 1
Stug3
Hanomag

7. After this next patch we will have the fallowing added to the game:

Russians:

BT-7 light tank with players able to ride on the sides and back

Russian 45mm AT gun a first for RO that the players can use to smash the enemy tanks as they attack.

Germans:

T-34(r) This captured soviet tank will go to work for the Germans. Giveing them some much need fun time vehicles to play with!

New menu screen, and music, for both ingame combat, and main menu!

Increased Player limits for high end servers that will let us bump up the player count to 64 players in total on one server! Take that BF2!

Anyway thats RO in a nut shell.

Upvote 0
did you mean DP 28? and are you sure we are talking about the same mod here V3.3? It has easy to deploy (and very threatening) MG's. On the mod teamwork is a must if you want to win like an MG gets a rifleman to cover his back and supply ammo while he lays down the frontal assault or weapon sharing. Yes RO retail looks a bit better especially the ballistics and arty effects (I can't get over the trailer where the Russians run strait through an artillary strike and all around ruskies are getting vaporised:D ) The MG's look the same, except for when they fire. But the thing I want most is the deaths with their sweet totally realistic (and gory) effects. But if you had read the whole thread I have a penguin computer and cant run RO retail. (I might get a very good vista soon though!!!! Please work on that!!!)
*Slayer_2

Upvote 0
So yah this is my 2nd to last check back here so if anyone has anything they would like to say please say them now (beside RO rocks it's already been rubbed in too much I'm holding on for UT3:eek: ) I will check back this Friday then I would be happy if a mod would delet this thread and my account please:D See you all on the UT3 front, happy SVT-40ing all:rolleyes:
*Slayer_2

Upvote 0
When I compare RO:Ost with mod, RO:Ost is better, but, sadly, there are still some drawbacks from mod days:

- some arcadish "improvements" (more informative map, picking weapons from corpses, more informative capture bar, etc.)
- I miss some maps (please, give us Jucha back!:) )
- only 2 uniform models/skins per side (I loved the variety of uniforms in mod days;( )

But it is worth buying, RO:Ost has much better gameplay and many improvements, making it much better than mod.

Upvote 0