• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is it me or are the Texture sizes way too big?

Jorg Biermann1

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
Buckinghamshire, UK
Ok so I'm in the RO2 SDK and looking at all the different textures in RO2 and I'm amazed at how big they are. They seem way over the top.

Example:
RDG-2 Smoke Grenade is 2048 x 2048 pixels which is 2.67 MB.
That is not including the specular and Heightmap textures that are both 2048 x 2048 too.

I understand having big textures for things that need alot of detail such as guns or Uniforms but do you seriously need a huge texture for something like a Grenade?? RDG-2 doesn't even need that much detail on it. It's all white.

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you need 2048 x 2048 pixels for that.
Spoiler!

Maybe this is one reason why FPS is so low for a lot of people? Why not half the size of a lot of the textures. Can save a lot of FPS

Last edited:
It's still a pretty big texture size for 1 grenade. Three 2048 x 2048s for One Grenade is insane.

I understand in a FPS textures need to be top notch because you are very close but do you seriously need so much for a grenade that is 80% white and to be honest you never really look at it much. You just get it out and throw normally.

Upvote 0
Speaking of textures, it has been years since I have toyed with this editor. Last time I messed with it was back in the original Unreal Tournament days, I relearned substracting the shapes and such but I can't seem to remember how to apply textures to the walls, any insight on this? I have a nicely developed level but looks like poop with the checkerboard.

Upvote 0
Speaking of textures, it has been years since I have toyed with this editor. Last time I messed with it was back in the original Unreal Tournament days, I relearned substracting the shapes and such but I can't seem to remember how to apply textures to the walls, any insight on this? I have a nicely developed level but looks like poop with the checkerboard.

You apply materials, not textures. Materials are made by using textures and other functions found in the material editor.
Just select the material you want in the content browser, right click your BSP surface and apply it there. You can also drag and drop the material from the content browser onto the surface.
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MaterialsAndTexturesHome.html

Upvote 0
textures

textures

so the large texture thing is a mixed bag. most of the textures are lod biased in game which cuts the textures in half depending on what settings you are using.
the first person weapons are all high-res textures the third person version is most likely not. we made most of the source art at 2048x2048 so we could always down-res that way when your playing on ultra textures your seeing a 2048x2048 for some things but on low texture settings your seeing a 256x256. if you double click the diffuse, norm or spec map you can see up at the top what res its being displayed at in game on ultra.. then cut it in half from there for every texture setting lower.:)

Upvote 0
Since the CPU processing only sound issue is not fixed, sound disappear while playing mp, memory leaking to CTD, I will tell it like it is.

I tested several settings with ROEngine file, setting LODBias more than 1 (which happens when lowering texture setting in game) severely downgrade texture quality.

Therefore for manageable texture quality with better performance, I recommend not to just lower in game texture setting, but set most of MaxLODSize to 1024 or 2048 in ROEngine file.

If the game's still clunky then set LODBias to 1, or 2 if you're willing to play with horrible..texture for performance..

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is technical flaws of the game.
Even when I set MaxLODSize to 1024, game still leaks memory and CTD quite often unless I manually free up memory.
Memory leaking, poor texture optimization, no sound card support, sound disappear while gaming.
All the basic stuffs, just wow TWI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0