• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In-game sounds ?

I kid you not.... its all in the config of the game and perhaps the sound card (if any) and onboard sound chip in use.

With the full release I had a noticeable loss of sounds as compared to the closed beta. And I hadn't changed anything in the game sound settings or my computer sound configs.

So obviously there is something wrong at the game end regarding this. It can be that a number of elaborate esoteric steps like you mention may regain sounds for some players, but I really can't see how missing sounds can be any kind of default setting for a game and not a bug (especially an FPS where a large part of gameplay is dependent on sounds).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the full release I had a noticeable loss of sounds as compared to the closed beta. And I hadn't changed anything in the game sound settings or my computer sound configs.

So obviously there is something wrong at the game end regarding this. It can be that a number of elaborate esoteric steps like you mention may regain sounds for some players, but I really can't see how missing sounds can be any kind of default setting for a game and not a bug (especially an FPS where a large part of gameplay is dependent on sounds).

Not Obviously.... but apparent. You see, after the beta, I deleted ALL the .ini files in the documents/mygames/redorchestra2/rogame/config folder. The result was all new .ini files reflecting the changes in the .ini files and the game upon bootup. I then customized via the in-game menus. You maybe experiencing some inherent conflicts in the setup. Certainly, I am not "imagining" that I hear what you do not hear.

Try those "elaborate esoteric steps". Doing so certainly cannot hurt and you just might be pleasantly surprised. Many have after following the advice.

Upvote 0
Mike,

I just tried clearing my ini files as you suggested, but same again.
Even with my volum up very loud, there isn't even a hint of footsteps.
From what I can tell, a lot people don't hear footsteps so I suspect whatever the issue is, it's not something I can change myself.

I posted a thread over in the bug section, so maybe one of the Devs will make a comment.

Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
Mike,

I just tried clearing my ini files as you suggested, but same again.
Even with my volum up very loud, there isn't even a hint of footsteps.
From what I can tell, a lot people don't hear footsteps so I suspect whatever the issue is, it's not something I can change myself.

I posted a thread over in the bug section, so maybe one of the Devs will make a comment.

Hopefully so...... did you set your sound config for either your sound card or chip to TWO channel Stereo?

Upvote 0
I got to say I agree to OP. The sounds feel very soft and a bit weak (specially the bolts and MG), and worst of all, it's very hard to get a sense of what direction you're taking fire from, but that's more than just sound design.

My friend..... sense of direction for me is quite good.... try some of the "fixes" mentioned above.

Upvote 0
Sport, please understand this; We hear all the sounds. if someone's setup is deficient or lacking, everyone else should not have to suffer the same short comings just to even a playing field.

What a lot of bollocks: the game doesn't even make use of a dedicated sound card, and TWI broke the death gurgles and enemy footsteps for most players with a particular patch.

How you go from this to "It's not their job to care about those who's setups aren't configured properly" is beyond me.

If Hogwarts magical clan and their clan-leader Dumbledore aren't having these problems, that really has little bearing on most people's in game experiences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not Obviously.... but apparent. You see, after the beta, I deleted ALL the .ini files in the documents/mygames/redorchestra2/rogame/config folder. The result was all new .ini files reflecting the changes in the .ini files and the game upon bootup. I then customized via the in-game menus. You maybe experiencing some inherent conflicts in the setup. Certainly, I am not "imagining" that I hear what you do not hear.

Try those "elaborate esoteric steps". Doing so certainly cannot hurt and you just might be pleasantly surprised. Many have after following the advice.

I will try the deletion of the .ini files, even though I have deleted the ROEngine.ini and the ROGame.ini files before, with no result regarding sounds.

And regarding that you was imagining it, I have never claimed such a thing.

Upvote 0
I can tell you from personal experience that there is a HUGE difference in
ambience and depth betwixt a 7:1 Realtek on-board chip and most advanced PCI/PCI-e sound cards. I have both, and I've compared. No contest.

The other comments you made are probably correct. But this isn't. I recently got rid of my X-Fi card as space is limited in my PC and after testing, the difference in sound quality was negligible. I have an external amp, that makes a significant difference, the sound card compared to my onboard one didn't.

Strangely I would say it made more of a difference to music than to games.

Upvote 0
I can't find a way to do this in Windows. My Speakers are set to Stereo, thats why I think it might be RO that switching it (only a guess, no evidence to back that up).

The .ini files have a great deal to do with it.

In Windows its in sounds under speakers. configure/properties

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is my settings (the second screen is my physical card)

Speakers.jpg

Upvote 0
As a test, join a server with BOTS... as you spawn, you should hear the bot's footsteps as they run off in different directions with the sounds of those footsteps offering fade and direction of travel.
At the start of a game I do hear the footfalls of my brothers in arms infront, to the sides and from behind. I've even dashed behind a wall to face the opposite direction to see if I can still hear them all run off, and I can. However, very shortly after that point I hear no footfalls at all for the remainder of the round. I don't see how this can be hardware related; it must be something that the game is doing.

I will do the .ini dance (again) as everything is worth trying twice if it means a chance of getting the sounds back, because it's downright difficult fighting this many silent ninja stalkers.

Upvote 0