• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Immersion Overhaul Mutator Information

finally got to play this on the test server.

no ironsight zoom - absolutely amazing, needs to be made default. what was TWI thinking?

i do have a problem with some of the new gun sounds however, mainly the fact that they sound incredibly static. for example, while the new mkb and mg34 sounds probably sound a lot more realistic than the old ones, they have the "outside" echo everywhere, even inside buildings.

while the old sounds sound quite dull in some cases (mkb when it isn't distorted, mosin, p38, mp40...), the fact that they're dynamic and change when you're fighting inside enclosed space makes them a lot more "alive", and in my opinion, the right way to "fix" the sounds would be taking the sound filters and make them a lot more stronger and pronounced instead of changing them completely for a "fired when outside" everywhere sound.

also, the fact that sounds are finally louder now alone combats the "weak gunshots" problem pretty well. it doesn't matter how realistic the sound is. if it's relatively quiet, it'll never sound good.

aside from this, most of the changes seem to be for the better and i can't wait to see it (ideally together with the weapon realism mod) on servers.

edit: just tried the sounds again on spartanovka, for some reasons the guns inside buildings echo as they should, which wasn't the case in commissar's house.

edit2: mkb echoes in building only after last shot, dp28 seems a bit distorted and doesn't echo well, some unlocks bug out (i assume the mod was made with classic in mind), namely the silenced nagant and lvl50 c96

Last edited:
Upvote 0
finally got to play this on the test server.

no ironsight zoom - absolutely amazing, needs to be made default. what was TWI thinking?

i do have a problem with some of the new gun sounds however, mainly the fact that they sound incredibly static. for example, while the new mkb and mg34 sounds probably sound a lot more realistic than the old ones, they have the "outside" echo everywhere, even inside buildings.

while the old sounds sound quite dull in some cases (mkb when it isn't distorted, mosin, p38, mp40...), the fact that they're dynamic and change when you're fighting inside enclosed space makes them a lot more "alive", and in my opinion, the right way to "fix" the sounds would be taking the sound filters and make them a lot more stronger and pronounced instead of changing them completely for a "fired when outside" everywhere sound.

also, the fact that sounds are finally louder now alone combats the "weak gunshots" problem pretty well. it doesn't matter how realistic the sound is. if it's relatively quiet, it'll never sound good.

aside from this, most of the changes seem to be for the better and i can't wait to see it (ideally together with the weapon realism mod) on servers.

edit: just tried the sounds again on spartanovka, for some reasons the guns inside buildings echo as they should, which wasn't the case in commissar's house.

edit2: mkb echoes in building only after last shot, dp28 seems a bit distorted and doesn't echo well, some unlocks bug out (i assume the mod was made with classic in mind), namely the silenced nagant and lvl50 c96

Thanks for the input. I think I know what may cause the echoing problems.

I'll have to dig for the death moans thing, I thought I'd fixed that one :eek:

Upvote 0
I just tried out the latest version and I guess I might as well add my thoughts.

What I like:
-The dynamic movement. It feels great and very natural to go slower up a hill. I love this feature.

-The first-person deaths. It helps you feel more connected to your character. Great for immersion.

-The loudness of all the sounds.

-Although I dislike the no aim zoom, I like it on pistols. I think that pistols should not have any zoom even on realism.

What I dislike:
-The sound effects themselves. Sorry, I'm not a fan. They just sound too "artificial" imo.

-No aiming zoom. I absolutely hate this feature, tbh. I don't like the idea of pixel hunting. Though I think it makes perfect sense to keep it this way for pistols.

-Classic weapon handling. I have always hated how you can't right-click and go into iron sights from a sprint. Instead, I have to let go of my sprint key, wait for my momentum to slow down and THEN I can right-click to aim. I hate how clunky this is. This is more of an issue I have with Classic though. I don't mind that it takes longer to go into iron sights, but I want to be able to right-click during a sprint, have the game slow me down and then go into iron sights instead of making my right-click completely unresponsive.

Upvote 0
-No aiming zoom. I absolutely hate this feature, tbh. I don't like the idea of pixel hunting. Though I think it makes perfect sense to keep it this way for pistols.

-Classic weapon handling. I have always hated how you can't right-click and go into iron sights from a sprint. Instead, I have to let go of my sprint key, wait for my momentum to slow down and THEN I can right-click to aim. I hate how clunky this is. This is more of an issue I have with Classic though. I don't mind that it takes longer to go into iron sights, but I want to be able to right-click during a sprint, have the game slow me down and then go into iron sights instead of making my right-click completely unresponsive.

correct me if i'm wrong but i figured these two settings are on the server since it runs classic mode, not because they are mod related (ie, they wouldn't be on realism server).

i dislike the disabled shift-zoom as well since it leads to pixel hunting and SMG imbalance, but that shouldn't be confused with ironsight zoom (which is what this mode addresses), as well as the delay between sprint and going into ironsights, which i consider artificial stupidity. but as i said, i believe (and hope) that this is related to what mode server runs, not the mod itself.

Upvote 0
The classic weapon handling probably is due to the server settings. However, this mod also completely removes zoom while aiming down sites. Basically, it keeps your FoV the same even when aiming, which I am not a fan of. This is different from Classic, because at least that mode still adds zoom while aiming.

Upvote 0
The classic weapon handling probably is due to the server settings. However, this mod also completely removes zoom while aiming down sites. Basically, it keeps your FoV the same even when aiming, which I am not a fan of. This is different from Classic, because at least that mode still adds zoom while aiming.

as i understand it works like (and if it doesn't this is what it should work like in my opinion)

realism - ironsight zoom enabled, shift zoom enabled
classic - ironsight zoom enabled, shift zoom disabled

mutator - disables ironsight zoom, doesn't affect shift zoom (if it does, it shouldn't)

which means/would mean

realism server with mutator - same fov in ironsights, but you can focus with with shift key (regardless of looking through ironsights or not)
classic server with mutator - same fov all the time since you can't use shift to zoom (current server setting on test server)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Would like to still have the option of no zooming whatsoever... Anyone can confirm what's the case with the mutator? Don't have access to a proper pc I'm afraid:(

This is what the mutator does, the option entirely eliminates all zoom. I'll look at making it more sophisticated (i.e. only pistols lose zoom, keep shift zoom, etc.)

Edit: I haven't touched the weapon handling, btw. That's probably a server setting

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what the mutator does, the option entirely eliminates all zoom. I'll look at making it more sophisticated (i.e. only pistols lose zoom, keep shift zoom, etc.)

Edit: I haven't touched the weapon handling, btw. That's probably a server setting

I actually quite like using shift zoom to look around, but having no ironsight zoom is a very good addition. Perhaps something else is worth a try:

Ironsight zoom: Disabled
Shift zoom: Enabled

That way you'd be inaccurate when moving etc etc, but still be able to peek from cover and see enemies in the distance and if you were prone and still you'd be accurate. I'm not sure how well this would work but... it might be good.

Upvote 0
I actually quite like using shift zoom to look around, but having no ironsight zoom is a very good addition. Perhaps something else is worth a try:

Ironsight zoom: Disabled
Shift zoom: Enabled

Maybe there can be two server options in the mod, one for disabling IS zoom, and one for disabling shift zoom?
Actually, disabling shift zoom should already be possible with the existing server setting for enabling Classic zoom.
Anyway, as long as there is a way for server admins to completely disable zoom for all players, I'm happy.

Keep up the good work dibbler :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0