• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] IL2 sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Press Release/Video

heady89

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2007
Sweden, Linkoping/Mjolby
*Update* The EPILEPSY Filter will be optional even in the west, problem solved!
(dev source http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19645)
Some video updates gathered here:
YouTube - Cliffs of Dover trailer (IL-2 Sturmovik)
YouTube - "Air battle" (IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover)
YouTube - Training flight (IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover)

I dont really know how hardcore the RO community might actually be but, i thought it would be worth mentioning here that the long in-development sequel to IL2 sturmovik the famous realistic ww2 flight combat simulator (Pc exclusive) has now finally gotten a release date after over 6 years in development.

March 2011,
Official Promo Video, Press release
http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/1c-and-ubisoft-announce-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover

Video Promo
YouTube - IL-2 STURMOVIK™: Cliffs of Dover - Official Trailer

Last edited:
This is storm of war? Why did they rename it? Cliffs of dover sounds so cheesy.

Edit: I'm actually happy this is my only complaint. Its looks ****ing awesome, I'm sure I'll love it.

Yeh indeed its Stom of War which they renamed.
I agree on the name sounding abit cheese, and i suspect its something that Oleg and the team had to turn down in favor for Ubisofts demands on the name.

Still it looks bloody awesome, cant wait :)

Upvote 0
Looks nice graphically.

Wish I got Wings of Prey to practice for when this comes out.

Assuming this won't require me to get a new PC, I will get it. 1946 has serious performance issues for me so hopefully this will run better. Assuming it does this, I might finally have another flight sim that I regularly play outside of Lock On FC2.

Also, can you even fly IL-2s in this game? Or is it just the campaign that takes place on the western front?

And what about flyable IS-2s?

:troll:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Like anyone in the IL-2 community does not know about this game or who made it... and those new customers outside of that community don't care and are probably irritated when they see a game about the BoB that is named after a Russian attack aircraft :rolleyes:

Nice to FINALLY have a realease date, smoke and explosions could still need some work though.

Upvote 0
NICE! I've been following that game for WAY too long. It will be nice to have a modernized WW2 flight sim at long last. IL-2 is great, but this should be the definitive WW2 flight sim we've been waiting for.

I've been scanning around, but I haven't seen any system requirements yet. Also, I sure hope it has native widescreen support. Surely it will right?

Upvote 0
NICE! I've been following that game for WAY too long. It will be nice to have a modernized WW2 flight sim at long last. IL-2 is great, but this should be the definitive WW2 flight sim we've been waiting for.

I've been scanning around, but I haven't seen any system requirements yet. Also, I sure hope it has native widescreen support. Surely it will right?

The system requirements ain't known yet but yes it will have widescreen support and support for more than 1 screen as well. As for the complaint about some of the effects, you've to remember this video was recorded on a mid-range PC.

As a side note of that this game takes a lot of processing power to run due to extremely realistic models, damage modeling, flight models , etc etc.. it's not your average Hawks, this is the real deal where anything in the aircrafts can break or get damaged be effected by wind, flow etc, not to mention the fact that even the ground details/vehicles are extremely detailed for being a flight simulator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As a side note of that this game takes a lot of processing power to run due to extremely realistic models, damage modeling, flight models , etc etc.. it's not your average Hawks, this is the real deal where anything in the aircrafts can break or get damaged be effected by wind, flow etc, not to mention the fact that even the ground details/vehicles are extremely detailed for being a flight simulator.

As long as it runs better and is better optimized than CFS3 did when it was first released...I'll be OK. I'll be testing it out with a Phenom II X3 720 and a 3870 GPU for starters. I'm way overdue for a GPU refresh, but hopefully my CPU will be ok for it.

Upvote 0
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

I am SO pumped for this. Been looking forward to this game for ages, like every other flight sim nut out there. I really hope it lives up to my expectations -- a sim of the same quality as IL2 with more realistic physics and updated graphics. First day buy for me for sure.

That trailer and this previously leaked footage make me even more pumped.

YouTube - Storm of War: Battle of Britain - First Video

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadrach
Upvote 0
I don't think the name is THAT bad. I actually think its better than "Storm of War: Battle of Britain" in a number of ways.

IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover says a couple of things. First of all, it takes advantage of the fame and name recognition of the IL2 series, which is smart. Second, it makes it very clear what is different about this game from previous IL2's (Battle of Britain) without putting "Battle of Britain" in the title, which has been used for tons of other (lesser) flight sims over the last few years.

Upvote 0
I agree with hockeywarrior... you need that IL-2 name recognition.

I'm very happy this is coming out so soon... but I'm also disappointed because there's no way I will be able to get the required $$$ to overhaul my computer for it by then :(. (I'm going to have to replace almost everything, motherboard, more ram, video card, CPU, etc.)

I will miss the ginormous plane set in IL-2 1946 though... but we'll get all those planes back over time I imagine :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looking past the obvious hollywood-style high speed action trailer, I'm somewhat intrigued about it but somehow I just have that bad feeling about it :p

Might be a good reason to wait for a demo - that is, if they release one at some point.
You crazy. Evidently haven't been following it now have you?

I'm nearly positive if you loved IL-2 you'll love this... this is NOT Birds of Prey... the damage and flight models have been made more realistic... the ground units are ridiculously detailed, all kinds of sick animations, etc. etc. etc.

The only major downside is going from a flyable planeset of 200+ (maybe 300+?) to something like 12-15.

Oh and what the hell is wrong with a high speed action game trailer??? Would you prefer 3 minutes of a spit, taxiing, taking off and gaining altitude? lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The best part so far are the cockpits. After playing LOMAC, 1946's cockpits looked plain ugly. :p

Any word on how the mission editor will be? I hope there is a 3D mode that allows for detailed base/target building. One thing that I don't think any sim has done since Jane's USAF.

Though, now that I have LOMAC FC2, ArmA 2, and possibly this coming out soon I might need to upgrade my PC. :( I have a feeling my AMD 9950 quad core will be a serious bottleneck for this game as it is for LOMAC and ArmA 2.

Upvote 0
You crazy. Evidently haven't been following it now have you?

I'm nearly positive if you loved IL-2 you'll love this... this is NOT Birds of Prey... the damage and flight models have been made more realistic... the ground units are ridiculously detailed, all kinds of sick animations, etc. etc. etc.

The only major downside is going from a flyable planeset of 200+ (maybe 300+?) to something like 12-15.
Yes, he is crazy for doubting how awesome this is going to be. The game has been in development for ages, and has been painstakingly researched. I'm actually glad there aren't a billion planes in the first release, mainly because that means I know that they put a ton of work into making sure they got every single one of them right.

How do I know this and what makes me trust the developers? Well, Oleg Maddox is the main reason. That guy and his team are behind all of the IL2 games and I don't see him disappointing me this time around with his next big project.

Upvote 0
I'm actually glad there aren't a billion planes in the first release, mainly because that means I know that they put a ton of work into making sure they got every single one of them right.

Good point. Probably for the better that it'll likely be done just like it was for IL-2 Sturmovik... (planes released in add-ons over the years)

Still... I'll miss my 190 :(. Damn 109 elevator lock ups!

Also, what's with the macchis? Did the Italians join in the German blitz?

Last edited:
Upvote 0