• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If you want to laugh, go check this out

hmm im not sure about vac i use trainers for very old games like finalfantasy 7 roller coaster tycoon ect and it looks like if i left them running i cud get banned from a steam game even tho im using them on a non steam game single player this is wrong luckily this has never happened but i will be sure to restart my pc after using them from now on at the end of the day who is valve to tell me i cant edit my finalfantasy 7 charactors after all ive completed the game legit about 20 times and its got nuffink to do with steam or multiplayer i think they need to be a little less harsh sometimes but it is a tricky subject as i dont want hackers in my online games

Upvote 0
I think VAC only comes into play if you're doing multiplayer stuff. I've spent a LOT of time playing Empire Total War after using Cheat Engine to adjust a couple things. I've also used trainers of one sort or another on various single player games. GTAIV, for instance - after i got bored with the gameplay as-is, I used quite a few different cheats and such.

Never had a problem. Of course, I haven't attempted to use cheats on any multiplayer games.

Upvote 0
Valve vac banned two of my friends because of an issue with MW2 on valves server end. So it's not an infallible system. although valve did give them and 10k other people free games to make up for it.

hmm im not sure about vac i use trainers for very old games like finalfantasy 7 roller coaster tycoon ect and it looks like if i left them running i cud get banned from a steam game even tho im using them on a non steam game single player this is wrong luckily this has never happened but i will be sure to restart my pc after using them from now on at the end of the day who is valve to tell me i cant edit my finalfantasy 7 charactors after all ive completed the game legit about 20 times and its got nuffink to do with steam or multiplayer i think they need to be a little less harsh sometimes but it is a tricky subject as i dont want hackers in my online games

Please tell me you copy and pasted this from there as a joke.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From the wiki article for anyone interested;

There are four recorded instances of incorrect detections, all quickly rescinded:
VAC1: On its initial release, VAC would issue bans for faulty memory. Valve quickly updated VAC to only kick for faulty memory[8] and reversed all bans for faulty memory.
VAC1: The effect of running the VAC-protected game through the Cedega software compatibility layer for Linux.[9]
VAC1: An apparent server-side glitch on April 1, 2004.[10]
VAC2: Over two weeks in July 2010, approximately 12,000 owners of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 were banned when Steam updated a DLL file on-disk after it had been loaded into memory by the game. Those affected received a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 and/or a gift copy to send to a friend.[11][12][13]
There are four recorded instances of the "benign cheats" described above triggering bans. These are:
VAC1: HLamp, which allowed the user to control Winamp from the game's interface. Detection later reversed, and all bans caused by it rescinded.
VAC2: The X-Spectate tool, which allowed server administrators to enable a wallhack effect while spectating to help decide if another player was doing the same. Later downgraded to a kick from the server, but bans not rescinded.
VAC2: The single-player Half-Life modifications Paranoia and Half-Life FX, which made changes to the engine's renderer that propagated to multi-player games.[14] This still triggers a ban and no bans caused by it have been reversed.
VAC and VAC2: sXe Injected, an anti-cheat system for Counter-Strike, however, does not trigger a VAC ban anymore.[citation needed]

Upvote 0
VAC2: The single-player Half-Life modifications Paranoia and Half-Life FX, which made changes to the engine's renderer that propagated to multi-player games.[14] This still triggers a ban and no bans caused by it have been reversed.
So if I am reading this correctly there are two single player mods for Half-Life that can not only get you banned but valve will not reverse the ban if this happens. That sounds extremely dodgy to me :confused:

Upvote 0