• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

id's Rage

The problem, as i see it, is that it is the wrong kind of engine, in the past there have been two choices for a shooter:

1) The classic FPS engine:
As old as the FPS itself, the FPS engine offers the very best in eye candy and player interaction with the world, thats what they where build for, but it comes at the cost of level design, maps have to be kept small and are connected by hubs, limiting your design choices.
Some can model the outdoors to some degree, others can barely model a town square without struggeling, but regardless, maps made for the classic FPS engine tend to be small and linear by necessity.

2) The "Sandbox" engine:
We got our first glimpse of thease with the likes of OFP and GTA3, expansive and varried worlds are possible here, entire islands and cities can be moddeled, but at a cost, eye-candy is usually much lower here than with the FPS engines, and whats worse, the way you interact with the game world usually feels.. a bit off, the physics just aren't there, things feel clumbsy and disconnected from the world, AI has usually been quite poor, and some of thease engines have really struggled to model indoor sections, its clearly a tradeoff, and plays as such.

This new Tech5 engine is definately of the classic FPS variety, sure it has vehicals and probably more terrain than Source, but all the same it is very much a classic FPS engine, but theres a problem.. lately, we have been seeing hybrid engines, they have been around for a while now, atleast since FarCry, but now they are finally maturing, and with more and better to come, the classic FPS engine nolonger holds much appeal.. why buy a Tech5 license when you can have the Crysis engine? or even UT3 or that engine STALKER uses?

Upvote 0

No, not really, it can build big, and in unpresidented detail, but you know, so could the UT2.5 engine back when it was new, all info we have on it suggests its a bigger and better FPS engine with some really cool texture stuff, and much inprooved vehical and landscape support over previous id engines, but there's not much "sandbox" about it, and the engine really does seem more geared twords building predefined paths of great detail the player must follow, rather than great big roaming areas the player can freely explore.

Thats not to say that Tech-5 is useless or anything, im just more interested in seeing where Dev's may go with engines that are more geared twords sandbox and free exploration.. well assuming anyone can be arsed to make a good game like that, but a man can dream eh?

Upvote 0
Theres nothing wrong with you guys not being interested, or favoring one engine over the other, but why are you guys taking the time to compare Rage to UT3 when ID only just announced the game on the 3rd? UT3 was announced a while ago, I dont see why you need to compare them when they are obviously not even going to be released in the same year.

Personally I think you guys should at least give it a chance to possibely peak your interest as more information comes out instead of imedately dismissing it after the first trailer.

I've played ID games since Commander Keen, and so far I have never regretted the purchase of an ID product. ID specializes in arcade style shooters because thats a niche that they do well at, and just because many other companies are moving on to more complicated game play features and more expansive environments doesn't mean a more simple and linear game won't be fun, and if people have fun (Which is really what games are all about.) playing an ID game then they did a good job in my book.

Again, I'm not saying you can't have your preferences, but theres no need to judge it by its cover. :)

Upvote 0
Quite right Mr Johnston, not to be compared.

I've got all the Dooms and all the Unreals.

It will be another "good crop" this Autumn, Unreal3, Quake Wars and TF2.

Without these three incomparable motors we would be stuck in the Myst playing Pong.

The new id engine looks like its going to open up things once again.

Lets not forget, no HalfLiife without Doom...

Bring it on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0