• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ideas for KF2, which we'll probably never see anyway :)

oldgoblin

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jan 21, 2012
I've heard plenty of arguments for/against a KF2, most, at least by what I've seen and heard, are people saying that after putting cash into KF DLC they'd hate to "loose" it, because KF1 servers would decline after a KF2 release, but others say KF1 looks "dated" compared to newer engines with the new UT engine, and that there are limits to the older engine KF1 uses.

So, here's an idea:
KF2 has in it everything that is in KF1. Every unlock, dlc, achievement, etc. If you unlocked/bought something for KF1, you have access to it in KF2, from Ash to gold weapons, and everything in between.
KF2 has plenty more new stuff, too. All the old plus new weapons, maps, zeds, etc. Lastly, people without KF2 can still buy/unlock the old KF1 stuff for/in KF2

TLDR Version:
In short, if KF1 has it, KF2 does, too, and if you bought/unlocked it in KF1, you can use it in KF2, plus there's new crap, too

What do you think, sirs?

Not a bad idea, problem with game 2.0 is that it splits the community (with every game... let's say except for the original is no longer played anyway) so the biggest problem is not the "loose" of DLC/unlocks but rather some people will only play the new version, whilst others stay with the old one... I wouldn't mind a KF2 though

Upvote 0
Personally if it was just a new engine and graphics improvements... I'd likely stay with old KF because I know the engine better. There's no real reason to improve the graphics of this game. Most of the current issues I have with the game are entirely fixable within UE2.5 (of which to name one: head hitboxes on clots).

Another reason to stay on UE2.5 is because more and more computers people buy now can play the game, whereas going to a new engine would increase the necessary base computer to play the game.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see some of the good additions to KF being put in KF1, be they the exact same things in appearance or no.

For example, it'd be an absolute shame to get rid of the AK, M32, AA12, FAL, MP5M, MK23, and other things during the transition. They all have such a great place in the core game and removing them may be a bad idea.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see some of the good additions to KF being put in KF1, be they the exact same things in appearance or no.

For example, it'd be an absolute shame to get rid of the AK, M32, AA12, FAL, MP5M, MK23, and other things during the transition. They all have such a great place in the core game and removing them may be a bad idea.

Totally agreed. No weapon removals!^^

Upvote 0
I don't think I would mind if they removed the M99 or Buzzsaw bow though.

Not too bothered about the Dwarf Axe or ZED gun either.
Well we certainly know the community is fighting some sort of war over which weapon's the best, which is of use or not etc. but I'd say leave them in the game (maybe some changes to the axe as it is sort of silly that you knock enemys back with it, would be more fitting for a battle- or sledgehammer, not for a cleaving axe^^)

Upvote 0
I really like the idea of dlc skins that have been bought for KF also applying to KF2.

However, making sure to copy over every weapon might be a lot of time and effort that could instead be used on better, new things.
For example, if ditching the largely redundant MKb and FAL meant they could instead add a new fancy burst fire assault rifle with a magnified optic, and fine tune the balance of commando weapons, I'd be fine with that.

Overall I hope KF2 isn't just a straight up engine port, nor completely unrecognizable as KF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well instead of making a whole new game, why not just port it to Unreal Engine 3?
Sure, players would get splitted, but everything inside the game would stay pretty much the same, whether it is to DLCs, as to Gameplay.

Playing Killing Floor with even more advanced graphics, ZEDs might look nice! Especially FP, or Patriarch.

Two minus points I'm not forgetting, is that first it might get TWI in a lot of trouble, remembering the rough departure of Red Orchestra 2.
Second, it's purely cosmetic. The game is good enough as it is, and its graphic engine gets twitchy sometimes. I remember a friend's computer, he could play L4D without too much trouble, but, oh boy when it came to Killing Floor.

And, not everybody has a powerful pc... I don't :) .

Upvote 0
The problem is, what would people want out of KF2?

In theory any sequel is supposed to advance on the original concept of the game and improve the recipe while still keeping the same feel and game play style. However what exactly is KF's style?

Originally it was a brutal teamwork survival horror that required coordination with your team, understanding of class limiations and a healthy dose of both skill and luck to make it through the wave. To put it simply the ball felt like it was in the specimens court and you were on the back foot, you might kill alot more of them, but you felt like it was oly a matter of time before you got overwhelmed.

Now it more feels like specimens are at a massive disadvantage, where it is up to the player to make a huge mistake in order for the specimens to break through. The game seems to have shifted to jsut seeing who can kill the most targets before the game ends.

So the dilemma is, which style of KF do you go for? The first is truer to the whole concept of killing floor, the second seems to be more popular.

---------------------------------------------------------

I know what I would want out of KF2, mostly I'd want it to go back to its hardcore teamwork survival roots. Right now teamwork doesn't go much further than shoot at the same target, cause every class has something viable to handle any enemy, not necessarily by themselves, but easily within a team.

I'd love to see a game where Medics, Berserkers, Commandos and Firebugs would not dare have a crack at Fleshpounds, and even the Sharpshooter and Support would be dubious about it.

The trouble with that is that KF2 would largely feel like a downgrade from KF1, where weapon choices and such are much more limited than KF as it stands now. Sure it may be the right concept to do, but that isn't neccessarily the most popular.

I curse the day that gaming became fashionable. Nov 5th 2007, the release of Call Of Duty 4.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A KF2 would be nice... but +1 on its not really needed.

Many game sequels try to add to much in the vain attempt to make them better - only to loose what they had in the previous version. I.e. simplicity + perfect(ish) gameplay.

A reboot would be nice. Same game - enhanced engine. Perhaps fund the backend changes with texture packs DLC or something...

Upvote 0