• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I was playing Metro 2033

I do not understand people that use English VO (Voiceover) in games that take place in countries where nobody would ever speak english.

If you read the book Metro 2033 (Which I have, and the "sequel") You would never enjoy playing in English VO, the english VO in both RO2 and Metro 2033 are just awful with the accents being so hilarious that I cannot take the game serious.

I must play in native voices otherwise I do not feel the immerssion. I don't want to start an argument about this though, so don't get me wrong.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I do not understand people that use English VO (Voiceover) in games that take place in countries where nobody would ever speak english.

Looking at Russia though, 5% of the population speaks English, that's hardly nobody. Its likely higher than that in Moscow, since you've got more intellectual elites, military, politicians and the aids/translators for all three.

Some of us like to actually understand the story, hence we need to understand what people are saying and thus need English voices. I have played games with Native voices and English subtitles before though, although they were all Japanese. Usually its good to know a small portion of the words before you do that, which leaves Russian off of my list.

Upvote 0

If you read the book Metro 2033 (Which I have, and the "sequel") You would never enjoy playing in English VO, the english VO in both RO2 and Metro 2033 are just awful with the accents being so hilarious that I cannot take the game serious.

I must play in native voices otherwise I do not feel the immerssion. I don't want to start an argument about this though, so don't get me wrong.

The reason why I use the English voices is for a different kind of immersion.

I don't speak Russian, nor do I speak German, I speak English and very very little French. If I am supposed to be a part of a Soviet or German military force and portrayed as a native of either country, I should be able to understand what my team is saying around me as though we all speak the same language.

The Native Voices do sound better in that you feel like you're amongst a real German or Russian force, but again, if you don't speak either language yourself, you feel like a foreigner...... and you miss a lot of the communication going on, which to me is a disadvantage.

To each their own.

Upvote 0
The Native Voices do sound better in that you feel like you're amongst a real German or Russian force, but again, if you don't speak either language yourself, you feel like a foreigner...... and you miss a lot of the communication going on, which to me is a disadvantage.

To each their own.

A nice compromise would be to have subtitles as an option with native voices.

Can someone translate, "Tic-Tac, Tic-Tac" j/k

Upvote 0
A nice compromise would be to have subtitles as an option with native voices.

Can someone translate, "Tic-Tac, Tic-Tac" j/k

Subtitles lead to me eyes being where they shouldn't in the midst of battle.

It's why I used the text to speech in ROCA..... So I could listen instead of reading.

Players die when they look away, I find.

Upvote 0