• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I do not think there is poor hit detection.

So please Grand master , Explain this :rolleyes:: Red Orchestra 2 - Ammunition well spent - YouTube

Happens to me many time on 24/32 servers with less 100 ping ( not my vid BTW ).

I almost thought that he didn't take cover, which could possibly lead to his actual character's position being a few steps back, which could potentially mean his rifle was behind the fence despite his viewpoint showing otherwise, making the bullets he fired hit the fence and not his German foes.

On a second watch, though, I do believe he took cover (heard the "breathing-in" noise of taking aim down the sights) so that's probably not it. On several shots no puffs of smoke occured which probably means the bullets never fired, a separate bug entirely than hit registers. Blood did occur once or twice but both of those were non-lethal shots (the hit to the arm is very clear).

I'm calling bluff on this vid, there isn't really any clear hit-detection issue on this video in particular.

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
Such a difficult thing to reproduce, but it's definitely happening. Perhaps when genuine shots seem not to register one should attempt to ask what the other player saw from their point of view.

The other night I put three shots through the center of body mass at 5m with an SVT only to have him fire his rifle once and kill me. He reported that I fired only once, not three times, and that shot didn’t harm him. Ping was sub-100ms. This was easy to confirm as it was 1-on-1 in an otherwise empty building, and face to face.

Most players will look to blame the game before they look objectively at their own performance, that’s natural, but that is not to say that there isn’t a hit reg problem because there clearly is. Even if I discount half of all iffy looking hit reg issues I see (i.e., no splat, no impact sound but shot otherwise on the money) that’s still two or three occasions, on average, per spawn where something doesn’t feel right.

I’ve been on the receiving end of this too, usually facing off against autos; they will fire what I hear as being maybe half a dozen to a dozen rounds at close range, I maybe get hit once or twice (which you can survive from an SMG if you’re lucky) to have that player then report that they spent a full mag. A full mag! If that’s true then I only hear 1/3rd of the number of rounds fire that they say they fired. Are all shots making it to the server, I wonder.

I won’t play on servers with a ping of greater than 75ms on browser report so my in-game ping is anything between 50 and 150ms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I do not think there is bad hit registration in this game. Let's take a look at this gif. It was used to point out problems with hit reg, but I think that issue does not exist.

Really?

There are also some bugs at the moment in hit detection at close range
From this post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Such a difficult thing to reproduce, but it's definitely happening. Perhaps when genuine shots seem not to register one should attempt to ask what the other player saw from their point of view.

I've done that several times, and every time the other guy answered, he replied that he saw the shots. One guy actually said, "I know, I thought I was toast."

Upvote 0
"I do not think there is poor hit detection" Has anyone seen the first clip on the first page of this thread?? The guy get shot about 5 times and nothing happens , finally the hit reg kicked in. This is a perfect example of an auful hit reg system. If you take 3-4 hits in the gut u wouldn't be standing there staring at them would u?

Fix it TW :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Chances are if you play in the populated realism servers you've come across me ranting and raving using the chat-box. I'm not usually one to rage in video games :)o), however as with a lot of people here I was really looking forward to RO2 but have been unable to enjoy it as much as I'd like due to the amount of bugs I've encountered.

The hit-detection is awful; at 'least, from my experience. I'm quite fed up of emptying entire clips point-blank into an enemies chest or face, only for them to kill me in 1-2 bullets. I'm fed up of engaging and hitting a mobile machine gunner from medium range, only for them to be able to close-up on me for a spray-n-pray which results in my death. I could list a bunch of examples from the last game I just played, but to be perfectly honest they could be summed up with "I emptied PPSH clip into a guy's back from point-blank range whilst aiming down sights and burst-firing; they managed to turn around and kill me. The thing that makes it worse is that I can't have an intelligent discussion with any of the players because all they do is reply with "Aim better", "Learn to play" or "Go back to COD".

People here are complaining about design decisions, tanks etc. The only issues I'm having is with the hit detection. If it weren't for that, I would have about 100+ hours on this game; so far I have 25, and to be honest I don't think I'll be playing the game again until I see a patch released that specifically says "Improvements made to hit detection".

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Until we live in a world where you have 0 ping from the UK to Japan and can get 10TB/s internet connections there will always be hit detection issues in multiplayer games. It's just something we need to live with for now. If anyone can name a game that doesn't have issues I'd like to know about it.

Upvote 0
Deus Ex
Crysis
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Left4 Dead 2
Team Fortress
Arma 2
Operation Flashpoint Red River
Call Of Duty
Medal Of Honour
Fear
Rage

shall i go on?

All these game have issues, if not with the inherent hit detection, then with server lag and **** (except the single player ones like Deus Ex).

I really wish these dumb *** kids would just ACCEPT and PAY FOR a shooter if had perfect hit detection, very little lag, no bugs, no server issues, custom options, modding, and tons of content. BUT NO - these dumbass iGeneration ****tards NEED to sacrifice all of this fun stuff so we can have ****ing bloom effect

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Deus Ex
Crysis
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Left4 Dead 2
Team Fortress
Arma 2
Operation Flashpoint Red River
Call Of Duty
Medal Of Honour
Fear
Rage

shall i go on?

Battlefield Bad Company 2 has notoriously bad hit detection/lag compensation.

Most CoDs have horrible hit detection/lag compensation

Rage, Deus Ex and FEAR(the multiplayer is a seperate client) are single player games, and thus do not transmit things to a server. The multiplayer client has huge lag issues as well. And Rage it's multiplayer is hardly anything worth mentioning due to the lack of first person shooter gamplay.

Left4 Dead 2 and Team Fortress both run on the source engine, which is known for having very acceptable hit detection, that I will admit. Though it isn't perfect and also has noticable flaws.

Crysis, it's so arcade that it's hardly noticable if hit detection is working or not.

Arma 2, at the distances at which you engage enemies, it makes it very very hard to judge if there's actually a good hit detection or not.

Operation Flashpoint Red River and Medal Of Honour, Never played these games so can't comment on it.

If anything, the majority of the games in your list has issues worse than Ro2.

Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0
I do not think there is bad hit registration in this game. Let's take a look at this gif. It was used to point out problems with hit reg, but I think that issue does not exist. If you look carefully, the target falls dead with the 8th shot. And it appears that only the 6th, 7th and 8th shot do actually hit. All shots before are near misses. And since not every hit has to be lethal instantly, this gif proved that hit reg is reliable.
Unlike other games, in RO2, the bullets fly along a path at which the barrel is pointing (unlike in other games where a simple approximated cone of dispersion is used). At least that is what my impression is, developers correct please if I am wrong.

And from my experience, I think hitreg is spot on. I regularly play on very large servers in the US (I live in Europe) and I get a 190 ping at times. Yet I can hit sidewards running targets on extreme distances.

Example:
c187m.jpg

I think people mistake the very realistic feature that "your gun is shooting at where your barrel points" for crappy hitreg, which is especially noticable in close combat. I had not a single occurence where hit detection let me down. Yes I had situations where I started firing on an enemy on close combat only to have him spin around and kill me, however in every case he was either wounded and bandaged, wounded and died later, or I simply missed.

you are a royal idiot, youre saying that .gif doesnt show bad hit reg but in the same post try to show a .jpeg of a 170 meter kill as proof that hit reg is fine?
what did you do before you posted this, take stupid pills?

Reactions: Moyako
Upvote 0
I think with regards to this topic, there's some confusion as to what people mean and are saying.

I generally class "hit-registration" and "hit-detection" as two seperate things.

The former, in my view, is how the hit is processed. Certain games have problems with this, Bad Company 2 is a perfect example where head shots are a coin toss, sometimes you'll shoot people in the upper chest and see their head snap back and get awarded with a headshot, othertimes you'll shoot people in the head and they'll just flinch as it's counted as a body shot. Normally it's a combination of bad hit-boxes and lag compensation.
I don't think RO2 actually has a problem on this front.

RO2 instead seems to have a problem with actual hit detection. It really seems to be struggling at times to actually accept weapons have fired (despite it being obvious to the person shooting) and that a hit has occured when dealing with ranges under 20m.

If it's true that TWI's bullet simulation only comes into effect when bullets are 20m from the shooter and that under that range they use hitscan methods, I'd say TWI would be better served by removing the hitscan and using the proper ballistics model from 0m, even if it results in a performance hit (the bonus is that RO2 will then live up to it's promise of accurate ballistics).
That could be tested on the beta client and made available to others considering TWI seem to have a problem replicating it in the offices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0