• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How do i make a new game type?

CommanderShepard

Jul 2, 2014
As we all know there are several game types territory , countdown etc and they are basically recognized by the game using the prefixes at front like TE-Apartments implies Territory play mode for apartments and RSTE-Iwo Jima indicates Territory mode for Rising storm map Iwo Jima

All of these game types have their own gameinfo classes that define the rules and other things for that mode.

But how do you make a new game type like say tank race (just kidding!) .
as far as I know:

1. you make a new class (say tankRaceGameInfo) that derives on the existing ROGameInfo class or one of its childs

2. make a map (or modify one) for that game type

3. test the game mode using the PIE(play in editor) set to your tankRaceGameInfo.

4. cook the map and scripts

So far I have got up to step 3 successfully but the problem is how do I cook the map so it uses the given game type (or gameInfo) and make the game recognize it.

I saved the map with a prefix TR (like TR-mymap). Then I pushed the publish button ! it cooked but when i tried to look it up in the steam workshop menu the map didn't show up in the map list at all.

I think its because my map doesn't have any recognizable prefix like TE or FF or CD instead it has TR . So how do I make the game recognize the new game type and prefix?

EDIT:I can see the map in custom section and load it but then nothing happens because the game doesn't knows what gameinfo class to load for it. How do i tell the game that?:confused:

Last edited:
1. you make a new class (say tankRaceGameInfo) that derives on the existing ROGameInfo class or one of its childs
I would look in my little script here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=1331194&postcount=11

I just made all TE- and RSTE- maps load with my gameinfo instead of the default. But it should point you at the things you need to get it to run. And give you an idea how to make it recognize your gametype. (note redirects might act tricky if you go from a regular TE map to your gametype etc, so perhaps you need to make a child of every existing gametype and as only change give all of them your specific SetGameType function)

2. make a map (or modify one) for that game type
If you setup your inis correctly you can setup your map just as any other gametype. For making sure maps with your handle load your gametype see the above post.

3. test the game mode using the PIE(play in editor) set to your tankRaceGameInfo.
In play in editor you can set startup command flags somewhere, basically for that map add
?game=tankracegameinfo and other flags that you want.

4. cook the map and scripts
Brew the map as normal
If you compiled your script then you can just move those files from unpublished to a published directory.

Last edited:
Upvote 0