• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit detection is like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone is talking about SMG's, but yesterday I unloaded four rounds from my Mosin Nagant straight into the chest of a German soldier on Spartanovka.

I placed my shots all towards his sternum and only my forth shot registered and put him down. Actually this reminds of what was possibly the most ridiculous case of hit detection ever.

I was running around Station with my Mosin Nagant, patrolling the stairs when I saw the German sitting at the top of the highest flight of stairs. He doesn't see me so I run up and jam my bayonet into the back of his neck. Nothing registers. I jab at him over and over again but nothing is hitting. He turns around and unloads a full clip from his MP40 into me. Just ONE bullet hits. So now I'm bleeding trying to kill him but apparently 9 hits with a sharp blade is nothing to this guy at which point he starts to melee me. After another 10 seconds of terrible hit detection, I bleed out.
Sort it out TW! :p

Upvote 0
Lawl at the gif :D ^

My only complaint on hit detection is sometimes when 2 foes meet and both get off a shot it seems like the person who dies first doesn't get a hit register.Even tho you clearly hear your shot and is aimed true.In ro1 double kills was common but in this one its like its not registering some of your shots.Maybe lag or ping but it happens alot it seems I have a great ping on the servers I play and 30-60 fps so im not sure.

At long range I chalk it up to I just missed but, at close range I notice this more seeing my gun fire and clearly aimed at the chest and after death I wait for my kill message to no avail :(

this is an extreme nuisance, i can recall probably around 10 times that this has happened in the game, im not sure if its hit detection issues or if the game has it so your shots do no damage upon death if you get shot before they hit, 'dead' bullets as opposed to grenades after death which can kill

Upvote 0
It is most certainly not an illusion.
I've had this happen to me alot of times.
The problem occurs most while firing SMG's in CQC or firing fast successive round from a semi-auto rifle in CQC.
I never use bolt in CQC so I wouldn't know about that but at long range both the semi's and bolt's seem to register pretty nice.

I agree with this man,there is a hit detection issue,not lag thing or skill thing.Playing bolt weapons is not noticeable but semis and auto yes.

See us around.

Upvote 0
You know i don't think its really hit detection that's the problem but the stupid bandaging. I have been hit many times and sprinted unimpeded into cover, as well as hitting people center mass, being shot and then have them die after i have died.

I bet 95% of hitbox 'issues' is because of hits that cause wounding that don't make the target react.

Not at all. Have you watched the OP's video? If you know you hit on target with, what is for me, usually 4-6 bullets at close range before they kill you, there is no way it is a bandaging issue.

Upvote 0
Please no client side lag compensation. Good servers that can handle their slots should be good enough.

Also, I've started using the automatics for long range because they may as well act like sniper rifles, but if you miss it's close enough that they get suppressed when bursting.

On that note about bandaging... I really wish I was demoing it, but yesterday I shot someone 4 times and they didn't die. This was maybe within 10m with a Mosin. Mind you they proned behind a fence and bandaged, but I could see them through the cracks, clearly shot them and nothing. They stood up eventually with an mp40 and killed me. I almost slit my wrists.

Not sure if bandaging was the culprit, the wood fence being impenetrable or this up-close lag business. Or maybe I'm just bad :eek:

Upvote 0
Please no client side lag compensation. Good servers that can handle their slots should be good enough.

Also, I've started using the automatics for long range because they may as well act like sniper rifles, but if you miss it's close enough that they get suppressed when bursting.

On that note about bandaging... I really wish I was demoing it, but yesterday I shot someone 4 times and they didn't die. This was maybe within 10m with a Mosin. Mind you they proned behind a fence and bandaged, but I could see them through the cracks, clearly shot them and nothing. They stood up eventually with an mp40 and killed me. I almost slit my wrists.

Not sure if bandaging was the culprit, the wood fence being impenetrable or this up-close lag business. Or maybe I'm just bad :eek:

Lag compensation has nothing to do with server overload.

I find TWI's philosophy that clientside prediction (guesswork) is superior to cold hard history data amusing to say the least.

Upvote 0
I've been trying to test this and I am starting to think this is very much tied to servers being stressed beyond their limit. I was playing on a couple of 64player servers tonight that were only half full (if that) and the hit detection at close ranges was about 1000x better than what I have normally been seeing. Thing is it seems to effect over-stressed servers regardless of ping. Also, if this is the problem I would have to say that virtually every 64 player server out there currently is over-stressed when there are more than 50 something players on it, as even the official tripwire servers have this issue when full.

Others should try this also. Find a (important) GOOD server that is not very full and test there and I think this issue will 99% dissapear. I wonder if tripwire should be advising servers to set thier limits lower/raise the reccomened specs for each player limit/ as the issue dosen't make the game look good.

Just one other note on this - I have noticed smgs tend to cause mortal wounds/delayed deaths much more frequently than rifles (which tend to kill right away). So this is something to keep in mind when testing. There were about three times tonight playing on the half full servers where I thought I had run into this issue again - but then sure enough each time, about 10-15 seconds afterwards, I saw I actually had killed the guy, it just took him awhile to finally die.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.