• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

Something that would be nice to have in the game would be a flaregun for squad and team leaders, this would allow better management of the team and make some nice trailer effects. :) Don't know how hard it is to make one though.

Haven't been able to make much progress on the G43, but a Flaregun shouldn't be too difficult. Not sure what it'd be like code-wise, tho

Upvote 0
Haven't been able to make much progress on the G43, but a Flaregun shouldn't be too difficult. Not sure what it'd be like code-wise, tho

I think it's better to do like they did in Darkest Hour, for the SL you had orange smoke on German side (next to the normal white smoke grenade) and Red for the allied side, i think those can be easily edited as you can temporarily take the white smoke model and changing the smoke's color is probably very easy as its just a simple texture.

Upvote 0
If you gave people flare guns they would only be used for one thing. Shooting other people with it. If it doesn't di anything everyone will be massively disappointed. If it did something to people one group of people will be annoyed at the fact that people are just going around setting others on fire. Lose lose if there's a flare gun. And what purpose does it serve in game. The "hey everyone I'm a squad/team leader, over here" gun.

Upvote 0
If you gave people flare guns they would only be used for one thing. Shooting other people with it. If it doesn't di anything everyone will be massively disappointed. If it did something to people one group of people will be annoyed at the fact that people are just going around setting others on fire. Lose lose if there's a flare gun. And what purpose does it serve in game. The "hey everyone I'm a squad/team leader, over here" gun.

Sturmpistole, yo.
sturmpistole_foto.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The flare gun would be an improvement of the "move here" command which is less useful than it should be.
Also maybe we should add a distance meter on every (M) map so people could tell how long one square is.
Also more tips when the map loads would be awesome like:
"The artillery radius of destruction is roughly 40 meters",
"In the options menu manual bolting can be toggled, having it on improves the firing rate on bolt-action rifles."
"Knowing all the unique commands can be helpful, the toggle weapon mode command allows you to switch firing modes on some weapons and switches the type of shell your tank will load."
"If you ever get stuck as a tank commander, opening the console and typing 'suicide' will destroy your tank and let you respawn with a new one."
"You can repair your vehicle by getting close enough to a resupply crate."
More tips that help new players figure certain things out are always helpful.

What would also improve the players experience is a small history briefing in the loading screen for historical maps. Example for Heroes of Stalingrad would be (but we will apply this to heroes of the west of course)

"The battle for Pavlov's house was a major battle during the siege of Stalingrad. From 27 September to 25 November 1942 the Wehrmacht launched a massive offensive to capture the apartment building. Sargent Yakov Pavlov whom commanded a platoon, fortified the building under orders of Joseph Stalin to stand firm against the rapidly advancing German forces. The Wehrmacht sustained an extreme amount of casualties in the battle losing a huge amount of men and tanks in the process. Sargent Pavlov made sure that the civilians who lived in the apartments survived by providing shelter for them in the basement. The battle was a grand victory for the Soviets and lasted longer than the invasion of France. For his deeds Sargent Pavlov was awarded the honorary title of 'Hero of the Soviet Union'. A wall of the house can still be found at the location on which it stood. On the wall it reads "In this building fused together heroic feats of warfare and labor. We will defend / rebuild you , dear Stalingrad!""

This is all I could come up with for that battle, something like this would definitely spice up the atmosphere for the player. It would also make loading screens way less boring for people without a SSD. It would also motivate them to hold or attack the map because of the epicness of real history. As Tripwire intended it would make you feel more like you are on the battle field. Maps with no historical context can showcase the history of technologies, generals who have fought in the south, the invention of Fanta x) and more.

All of this would take time to create but it's the small things that were made with care which are missing in AAA titles today, which make them feel so monotone and boring.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would make the battle feel more realistic, for the purpose of preventing the fire thing, make it a veteran unlock. As an alternative (which would be better) would be a signal smoke gun which launches a quick detonating small round of red smoke which would be tall and thin compared to the smoke grenades. Another way to solve the problem would be to make it have no fire damage effect, in a game in which a fricken tank can fly if it drives fast enough into hedgehog traps, something like that can be forgiven. People ****ing around with it would probably not do their role as a Team or Squad leader anyway and would kicked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Flare guns don't make people burst into flames lol. But video game logic says they do. Everyone will be massively disappointed if they didn't set people on fire. But there will also be a bunch of people complaining of it did.

I don't see how it can be used as a replacement for "move here". Flare guns were for signalling the start of something like an attack, to signal that persons location and to signal that they have been attacked and need help. How are you gonna order people to move somewhere? Shoot the ground?

You also haven't see flying tabks until you have seen two tanks ram each other full speed. You can in fact run over a tank commander with a tank.

Upvote 0
Flare guns don't make people burst into flames lol. But video game logic says they do. Everyone will be massively disappointed if they didn't set people on fire. But there will also be a bunch of people complaining of it did.

I don't see how it can be used as a replacement for "move here". Flare guns were for signalling the start of something like an attack, to signal that persons location and to signal that they have been attacked and need help. How are you gonna order people to move somewhere? Shoot the ground?

You also haven't see flying tabks until you have seen two tanks ram each other full speed. You can in fact run over a tank commander with a tank.

Shoot in the air how they are intended to be used. :u

Upvote 0
The map info was one thing I truly loved in RO Mod and RO Ostfront. It was immersive to read about the battle you are going to play. Yes, this info only showed up in the practice mode, but as Gilgamesh said, having info on the loading screen would be amazing, also it shortens the loading time as your attention is drawn to reading the info.

Another thing I enjoyed was that your unit actually had a name, mappers were allowed to give the unit a name and it did not just read "Axis" and "Allies".

And the score board seriously folks, the score board is crap in RO2/RS, they wasted useful space on the left side by putting reinforcements there. Put it above the teams they belong to. This frees up space and allows for role info. Yes, I want to see onscreen what role my team mates are, and only my team mates. Enemy roles are not revealed.

This is just a quick sketch I did. Of course being on the enemy team I would not see who is an MGer or SL on the German team.

Upvote 0
If it works coding wise - the spot right under the flare.

Which will result in people running about looking at the sky to see where the flare is. And the guy had to aim it right.

Not to mention 95% of people using this for other reasons.

The "move here" command isn't used much becuase it isn't needed at all. Not becuase of how it was implemented.

Upvote 0
Which will result in people running about looking at the sky to see where the flare is. And the guy had to aim it right.

Not to mention 95% of people using this for other reasons.

The "move here" command isn't used much because it isn't needed at all. Not because of how it was implemented.
I would love if people would actually listen to the move here command, not to forget in Rising Storm the flares would be omega useful for mortars. If people practiced with the flares they could pull of better coordination with the team. Not everyone has to use it, just as not everyone uses smoke grenades. Shooting a flare at en enemy tank for example would allow your team to see where the enemy tank is located with out having to toggle the map on and off, I personally dislike how the map in RO2 tells you everything. The tank thing is just one example of a use for flares, you could also flare the flank the enemy is attacking from so your team could defend as a lot of people in the game need to see things in game and not in the map to actually do something,

Upvote 0
Flares would be indeed neat, as they can do both guiding the own team and distracting the enemy team. Seriously if someone pulls of a disguise like throwing a flare or signal smoke at the enemy, first off they will run as they assume it's a handgrenade. (At least I do that, I run from objectives that are thrown at me.) Secondly if you drop mortars at this location now, the enemy will combine flare = enemy mortars. So in order to clear out an enemy position you just need to throw a flare there and the enemy will run. Of course this trick will not always work.

It can also be used to signal enemy movement. You recognise there is a large force coming, throw a flare there. People will know the enemy is coming and the enemy needs to use a different route.

And just btw, scroll up a bit and check my suggestion for the scoreboard. :)

Upvote 0
I think it would be a far more useful tool would be if the "move here" was persistent and you could easily tell who was telling you to move there. As well as if the SL or whoever would get on mic and say "Ok squad, let's rally here and wait for the incoming arty before we attack". I always ignore it the few times I see it TBH, I don't know who is telling me to move there and why.

This goes hand in hand with a more intuitive squad system, so you could easily see both on the scoreboard and in game who is on your squad and where they are. A keybind to show your squad on the map and for names light up in game.

I'd love to see the scoreboard changed (as well as the default role menu being the squad one) to provide more useful info like Raven suggested. Color code the squads, with roles and have the kills and team points visibility optional until the end of the match. I have always found that with ingame notifications off and no scores showing, it's more immersive and people tend to focus more on the team instead of kills.

A flare gun would be interesting, but not very useful IMO. Like colored smoke, great for helo extractions.

Upvote 0
A flare was used to signal for help or to signal the start of something. The plN had to already be in place. The flare is essentially shouting "go" or "help". So if a bunch of people charge down your position expectantly a flare would help. As with waiting until arty is finished and launching a flare to signal the start of the attack.

But you will have to deal with so many false positives. People launching flares at other people, people launching flares in the sky just becusse they look pretty. The fact that voice chat exists sort of makes the flare obsolete just as the compact radio did in reality. The flare will be misused far more often so when it is used for a valid reason nobody will think so.

That's game design for you. You gotta think from all points of view. I would like flares as well. But if you think rationally how do you think everyone would actually use it? This forum is no majority and isn't representitive of the community as a whole. No forum ever is.

Coloured smoke however isn't a bad idea.

Upvote 0
A flare was used to signal for help or to signal the start of something. The plN had to already be in place. The flare is essentially shouting "go" or "help". So if a bunch of people charge down your position expectantly a flare would help. As with waiting until arty is finished and launching a flare to signal the start of the attack.

But you will have to deal with so many false positives. People launching flares at other people, people launching flares in the sky just becusse they look pretty. The fact that voice chat exists sort of makes the flare obsolete just as the compact radio did in reality. The flare will be misused far more often so when it is used for a valid reason nobody will think so.

That's game design for you. You gotta think from all points of view. I would like flares as well. But if you think rationally how do you think everyone would actually use it? This forum is no majority and isn't representitive of the community as a whole. No forum ever is.

Coloured smoke however isn't a bad idea.

Well by flare I kinda meant some sort of signal gun. A smoke gun would fix the problems the flares come with.

Upvote 0