• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Help on first map

FaTaLeKe

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006
My first try on mapping
The map is a area in the ostfront (duh) where there is a railroad to a small vilage/town, germans build a plane factory there for easy acces with trains and a repair dock for planes
Russian assault

Only hangar to go
Do you guys think it could become something?
somethings to improve etc?

here are the screens

It could use some improved lighting, but not a bad start mate.:)

How large is the map?

map size is around the size of danzig
There will be no nades thought and no MG for the germans

Making picture of size

left danzig
right my map

overviewdv8.jpg

Upvote 0
BSP holes

BSP holes

bsphole is overlapping or space between BSP?

Overlapping additive brushes is no big deal. The subtractive brushes are the ones you have to look at. If they are mis-aligned or overlapping they will cause problems. Sometimes, due to rotating or resizing the brush, the alignment is off just a little and hard to get it aligned again. Its sometimes best to delete the offending subtractive brush and make a new one.

There are two views in the editor window that will help, "BSP cuts" (ALT+4) and "Zone/Portal"(ALT+2). I find the zone/portal view to be the best. Make factory into a zone (adding zone portals and copying the zone info actor into the building). Always use the top and side views to put in you substractive brushes so they are aligned properly.

You may want to look at some BSP tutorials out there as this will save time and frustration.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Overlapping additive brushes is no big deal. The subtractive brushes are the ones you have to look at. If they are mis-aligned or overlapping they will cause problems. Sometimes, due to rotating or resizing the brush, the alignment is off just a little and hard to get it aligned again. Its sometimes best to delete the offending subtractive brush and make a new one.

There are two views in the editor window that will help, "BSP cuts" (ALT+4) and "Zone/Portal"(ALT+2). I find the zone/portal view to be the best. Make factory into a zone (adding zone portals and copying the zone info actor into the building). Always use the top and side views to put in you substractive brushes so they are aligned properly.

You may want to look at some BSP tutorials out there as this will save time and frustration.

Hope this helps.

Small correction here: Overlapping Additive BSP can become a big deal. It can cause giant ghost geomitry errors.
The main offender usually is BSP not being on grid. Do not rotate or scale BSP. Only change shape and form by editing the vertices with the 'Vertex Editing' tool next to the 'Camera movement' tool.

Upvote 0