• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Helmets - Bullet pings / Actual protection discussion

According to the vid shown here .45 pistol bullet wont go through the helmet.
(and thats not a hollywood movie, its an army training vid - so I think its accurate.)
A .45ACP has less penetrating capability than a 9x19.

Also, in that vid they shoot at the helmet somewhere between 25 and 50 meters, and the narrator also states that the .45ACP won't penetrate the helmet beyond 50 yards.

Upvote 0
Just wondering, in Ro2 will players be able to hear the ricoshay of bullets pinging against their helmets? Will these bullets also penetrate or get deflected from the helmet? How much protection will the helmet actually provide and thus will fieldcaps and officer caps offer no protection to bullets or shrapnel at all?

Thanks in advanced,

Sturm

Any rifle round in RO will easily penetrate a helmet at any range you're likely to engage anyone at.

The helmet might provide limited protection against pistol rounds, however..

Upvote 0
According to the vid shown here .45 pistol bullet wont go through the helmet.
(and thats not a hollywood movie, its an army training vid - so I think its accurate.)
Haha yeah right. This video is classic propaganda -- I'm sure the troops at the front figured out pretty damn fast that their helmets didn't deflect bullets.

Upvote 0
The German movie probably shows testing done vs a pistol cartridge chambered M98 rifle, as used for training in HitlerJugend for example. A rifle bullet would go straight through without any issues out beyond 1,000 meters.

Even modern kevlar helmets only provide protection vs pistol rounds and shrapnel, rifle rounds go straight through. There even was a nice demonstration of this in one of the weaponology shows on the discovery channel, where the modern army kevlar helmet only just stops a 9mm pistol round at 50 yards, whilst rifle round go straight through both sides.

That having been said German helmets were made of tougher steel than US helmets, as established by wartime US metallurgical testing of German & US helmets. The report included the conclusion that the German helmet was safe from pistol ammunition and shrapnel, whilst the US helmet failed to stop pistol rounds and only provided protection against shrapnel.

Upvote 0
[...]
the modern army kevlar helmet only just stops a 9mm pistol round at 50 yards, whilst rifle round go straight through both sides.[...]

[...] The report included the conclusion that the German helmet was safe from pistol ammunition and shrapnel[...]

I wonder what was the range in the US Army tests? Well, anyways the German helmet would (probably) stop .45 ACP and maybe 9x19 beyond 50 metres. But 7,62x25 would still go through like hot knife through butter.

Upvote 0