• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Having access to the opposite team's weapons - Bad thing?

Having access to the opposite team's weapons - Bad thing?

• Yes. You should only be able to acquire enemy weapons by picking them up.

Votes: 206 71.8%
  • Doesn't bother me

Votes: 38 13.2%
  • No. You should be able to spawn with weapons from the enemy team

Votes: 43 15.0%

• Total voters
Just the fact that you described the Ostheer as 'Nazis' is evidence enough of your ignorance.

Essentially, you're saying that because the Germans get a gun the Soviets can't get, enemy load-outs are fine.
Oh, a nazi lover. Please spare me your personal preferances and stay on topic.

Removing MG34 from soviet heroes will add even more disadvantage to soviet arsenal (MG34 are better and its the only weapon worthy taking as a hero, AVT users should go to hell for not assaulting, PPSh is gimped). MG34 is always a choice of hero weapon for me, its better than DP28 in every aspect (RoF, ammo, single fire mode, the look on the face of some nazi solder when I shoot him).
I wish assaults could choose enemy loadouts, german troops were known for using PPSh and some soviet troops used MP40 (personal preference and it was lighter, so it was mainly a weapon of choice of people who worked behind the enemy lines (easier to get ammo too)). But the deal with it is that no nazi assault will ever trade futuristic and universal Mkb assault rifle for a weapon thats is only good at CQC.
As for G41(yet another ultra rare weapon available to masses in RO2), well SVT is the same in terms of performance so removing it from "enemy loadout" wont hurt anyone.

p.s. would be nice to have an option to save loadouts. That and giving soviet officers german pistols (pretty common trophy), dunno about german officers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, a nazi lover. Please spare me your personal preferances and stay on topic.

Removing MG34 from soviet heroes will add even more disadvantage to soviet arsenal (MG34 are better and its the only weapon worthy taking as a hero, AVT users should go to hell for not assaulting, PPSh is gimped). MG34 is always a choice of hero weapon for me, its better than DP28 in every aspect (RoF, ammo, single fire mode, the look on the face of some nazi solder when I shoot him).
I wish assaults could choose enemy loadouts, german troops were known for using PPSh and some soviet troops used MP40 (personal preference and it was lighter, so it was mainly a weapon of choice of people who worked behind the enemy lines (easier to get ammo too)). But the deal with it is that no nazi assault will ever trade futuristic and universal Mkb assault rifle for a weapon thats is only good at CQC.
As for G41(yet another ultra rare weapon available to masses in RO2), well SVT is the same in terms of performance so removing it from "enemy loadout" wont hurt anyone.

p.s. would be nice to have an option to save loadouts. That and giving soviet officers german pistols (pretty common trophy), dunno about german officers.

Wow. 'Nazi-lover', Nice. You didn't stop to think the fact that, I was actually pointing out to you that not all men in the German military were cold-heartless nazis, but merely fighting for their country.

And that makes me a Nazi-lover. Rofl.

The Russian weaponry performs just fine, with the exception of their MG, of that I will admit. The only thing they have no answer to is the Mkb42, which is due to how common it is, as opposed to how rare it should be, a separate issue.

Side-note: Each faction doesn't have to be a completely symmetrical version of the other with different skins. Otherwise we may as well paint one side red and the other blue, then make the all weapons shoot at the same rate, the same caliber, to the same distance, with the same clip.

But that'd be boring, wouldn't it? In some situations, Russians have the advantage, in others, Germans do. That's how it worked.

Upvote 0
Wow. 'Nazi-lover', Nice. You didn't stop to think the fact that, I was actually pointing out to you that not all men in the German military were cold-heartless nazis, but merely fighting for their country.

The Russian weaponry performs just fine, with the exception of their MG, of that I will admit. The only thing they have no answer to is the Mkb42, which is due to how common it is, as opposed to how rare it should be, a separate issue.

Side-note: Each faction doesn't have to be a completely symmetrical version of the other with different skins. Otherwise we may as well paint one side red and the other blue, then make the all weapons shoot at the same rate, the same caliber, to the same distance, with the same clip.

But that'd be boring, wouldn't it? In some situations, Russians have the advantage, in others, Germans do. That's how it worked.
For me nazi is just a word I use to call WWII era german troops in general, it has nothing to do with politics and stuff. As for solders, I respect all of them, they endured a lot, no matter what nationality, country or origin.

I feel kind of silly going that way off topic but oh well.

As for balance yes, it leads to the fact that some weapons are superior to others and while its fine in terms of gameplay and balance, it still leads to people choosing whatever weapon is best. It comes naturally and unless there will be other bonuses for being a hero which outweight the advantage of having a superior weapon, no one will ever use inferior guns unless its a "personal preference". The way the game is, it seems that most "heroes" were machine gunners for soviet union and assault infantrimen for german. Its not the weapon that made soldiers "heroes", but in the game it is and it blows.

p.s. high-end PC heroes, yea.

edit: gee, you guys have some problems having such a reaction to a simple word

Last edited:
Reactions: Falkenhorst
Upvote 0
For me nazi is just a word I use to call WWII era german troops in general, it has nothing to do with politics and stuff. As for solders, I respect all of them, they endured a lot, no matter what nationality, country or origin.

I feel kind of silly going that way off topic but oh well.

As for balance yes, it leads to the fact that some weapons are superior to others and while its fine in terms of gameplay and balance, it still leads to people choosing whatever weapon is best. It comes naturally and unless there will be other bonuses for being a hero which outweight the advantage of having a superior weapon, no one will ever use inferior guns unless its a "personal preference". The way the game is, it seems that most "heroes" were machine gunners for soviet union and assault infantrimen for german. Its not the weapon that made soldiers "heroes", but in the game it is and it blows.

p.s. high-end PC heroes, yea.

Check where you went wrong yourself. It's pretty clearly stated in the forumrules...
Hint, the bit about nazi's and commies

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/announcement.php?f=74&a=1

Upvote 0
Wow didn't expect such a big response in a day.

Can't argue with the people who say it's realistic for the enemy to be deployed with the opposing team's weapons because that's true.

I'm just coming at this from more of a gameplay standpoint. I realise that it's easy to find the enemy weapons but it seemed that in RO1, most players, most of the time would be using their own team's unique weapons.

Perhaps a solution for both realism and gameplay would be to only have a limited supply of enemy weapons available per match so that when they were used up, you couldn't select them until the next game. Or, like Colt said, give players a percent change of being able to spawn with them. Or maybe, reward good performance and teamplay points with being able to select enemy weapons next time you spawn.

Totally agree with the gripe about the enemy's weapons being default selection.

I think this just takes away some of the more tactical and deep gameplay that was in the first game.

I agree with nearly every point you made system16, very nice post!:)
Thanks!

Upvote 0
I think its a good idea for give more variety and fits hitorically, but what destroys it totally is the bugged ranked and upgrades system.
I meant, a high ranked elite rifleman could get access to the enemy semi-auto, but that's only be rational on 1/15 or 1/20, so again is good idea (like give some special weapons) but the system is totally broken (I was on servers with 8 heros per team...) so when it's fixed, will be nicer, I bet. The key is the proportion of players and his experience, that needs an URGENT fix.
PD: Also, option of detach upgrades... is a must!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Voted no, don't remove it.

Why take out options? Especially ones that were real historical practices?

What we should be doing is thinking of ways to change or improve things so they work better or are more representative of history. Not simply getting fed up with them and saying "Screw this I don't want it anymore, it changes too much about the game".

Upvote 0
This is not a option decided by realism, its an option that just copies cod/battlefield weapon unlock system where both sides wield the weapons they want to wield.

So yes, this is a bad feature of the game.

No I don't agree, it mirrors exactly what went on in Stalingrad. You can't get much more real because they actually did use each others weapons.

This game has nothing to do with bloody cod/bf either!

Also until the game/stats e.t.c are working 100% it is too early to be deciding that feature x is no good.

Upvote 0
No I don't agree, it mirrors exactly what went on in Stalingrad. You can't get much more real because they actually did use each others weapons.

This game has nothing to do with bloody cod/bf either!

Yes it mirrors what went on in Stalingrad but dont forget that this is a videogame not a simulator.
Personally I feel that this decision leans more on what cod/bf do with unlocking weapons and make each player use what they want instead of being a decision for realism.

Upvote 0
WOW.

I'm in agreement with most of these lopsided votes but this one I am 100% against.

I'm not sure if people understand that enemy loadouts are for VERY high levels and once the stat system is fixed/reset, this will be rare again.

I do think its annoying that once unlocked, enemy loadout is default selection. Default selection should ALWAYS be the most common weapon for that role.

In closing, enemy loadout was fairly common. These guys didn't pick them up off the ground seconds ago. They become part of the army's arsenel and they show up to the fight with them.

Where are all the realism guys on this one? Are you even reading the poll options?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:B...land,_Kampf_um_Stalingrad,_Soldat_mit_MPi.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6534/capturedmp40smg.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-JJrg8Fokn...hinegun-stalingrad-september-october-1942.jpg

http://lambdaphalanx.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/russians-w-ppsh-41-in-stalingrad-1942.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Certain weapons should be useable by the other side, but if everyone can get every enemy weapon it is very silly.

By far the most common weapon you will see in any picture captured is the PPSh41 and MP40, the firepower in close ranges was vital. You will hardly ever if any see front-line soldiers (not garrison troops) with enemy rifles for example. My class system outlines my ideas for weapon and the link is in my siggie.

Reactions: Falkenhorst
Upvote 0

Aye. If i had it my way (speaking about a more realism type of mode) the load out would be random for each class on some of these maps. Maps during certain time periods where heavy winter fighting took place
some assault players would load out with ppsh, some with mp-40.

most rifleman on german (95%) would load out with mauser. (85%) rifleman on the russian class would load out with the 91/30. But remember... there were a HELL OF A LOT more rifleman on the field than RO2 portrays. I'm baffled by the ratio between SMGs/semi-autos and Rifles. It's Nuts!

elite rifleman on the german side would see ALOT more SVT maybe as far as making it half as common but throw in the AVT rarely (for the sake that it's in the game but just put a real weapon in that was an actual issued select fire rifle like the AVS-36).

MGs would switch rarely

Snipers would be random but not switch too often

commanders on german would switch between G41, G41 with the zf-41 (this weapon system with the scope was mainly issued to commanders to get a better view of the battlefield... not as much for a marksman), PPsh, MP40, SVT and thats pretty much it. Soviet would have PPSH, SVT, MP-40, G41 sometimes.

Engineer gets a mix of smgs and rifles
(By the way please note I'm not one with numbers off the top of my head so these estimates of from what i've read, seen, and heard about.)

I think the thing people forget is that this war was dirty and at times (some more often than others) it was about attacking the enemy not for ground but for ammunition, food, clothing, ect. I wish this was a fact that RO2 made more clear. People didnt show up to battles with new weapons. Imagine being in the same clothes, carrying the same rifle, the same supplies on your back for YEARS with no chance of washing maybe one or twice. They were issued a weapon at the start of their campaign and they were not issued another until it was broken... and in a place like Stalingrad where the enemy is in front, behind, and either side of you, where supplies were short and sparse amongst armies, many times there isn't a way you can be resupplied for long periods of time.

So at the point that this game takes place, many of these soldiers (and especially their 'heroes') will have been around for quite a while... In real life 'heroes' werent awarded new shiny rifles (which TWI seems to believe)... they used the same dirty rifle they had been toting for years like everyone else... and when that was damaged passed the point of functioning or ran out of ammo and there was no resupply... they grabbed one up off the ground and continued... because if they didnt they were either left or shot by their officers.

What i'm trying to get across is that some of these battles that we play are indeed battles in the middle of this long campaign. when you start each game you assume the role of a soldier that has been there for a while (thats what the lvling up system and your own skill from playing emulates) and thusly I'd like to see that bit of not being in control which the soldiers felt as well... like i do not have control over what weapon I have had to use for the past few months or years.

It's my opinion that the soldier shouldn't have much choice, in a realism type of mode of what weapon they start off with other than class. This is indeed just a game. But if you are going to do a realism game... don't half *** it. Many of the newer players don't realize that these levels of realism that many of the older community ask for have been neglected between RO1 and RO2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think only enemy SMGs could be picked. A lot of Germans used to pick the PPSh from the ground and a lot of Russians used to pick the MP40, but rifles and MGs were not common, even less semi auto rifles.

That's just flat-out not true. The Germans were desperate for materiel. They used French, Belgian, Italian British, Czech (tons of Czech), Polish, Russian, and eventually American small arms, tanks, aircraft, ships, cannon, AA, Prime Movers, trucks, motorcycles, mortars... basically anything you can think of, the Germans had a foreign version with their own designation.

There were entire companies outfitted with foreign weapons/vehicles. Hell there were more Czech tanks in the Panzerkorps going into France in 1940 than there were PzIIIs and IV's.

You're specifically, and especially wrong about semi-auto rifles. The Waffenamt rechambered as many SVT40's as they could get their hands on, and battlefield pickup SVT's using captured stores of x54r would have been as common as PPSh41's if there were as many of them to capture. I'd venture so far as to guess that by 1944 there were more SVT's in service with the German military and foreign detachments of the RKKA (A Czech volunteer group served the USSR and the entire 2,000 man battallion was given SVT40s) than with standard soviet infantry simply because the average soviet conscript didn't have the mechanical acumen to keep the weapon running.

Last edited:
Upvote 0