• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Have I become one of those people? :)

Sulman

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
A friend pointed out this old gem of a thread about a sequel that is nowhere near as good as the original, had been ruined by the devs, and is dying... http://gamefaqs.com/boards/437678-team-fortress-2/45058968

The shock of the new. Always interesting to look back and really consider how much your opinion of something can be emotionally driven, especially if you really loved a game.

Maybe I come from a different generation but I generally always prefer new versions to old versions. With many other games it is the same. Even if some of the older games had astounding game play I probably still wouldn't play it. I acknowledge it was great and amazing but after playing a newer version it is always hard for me to go back. Generally because I would miss the new features such as UI, graphical updates, performance and game play changes.

Upvote 0
The shock of the new. Always interesting to look back and really consider how much your opinion of something can be emotionally driven, especially if you really loved a game.

There is a lot of truth in this statement

I think many people put too high of expectations on ro2.No game will replace your beloved first experience.Minus the rough start this game has MANY improved features over Ost. While I still love the original its hard for me to play now simple things like the tactical display, the way bolts can reload and bullet penetration etc....the list is too long to type.

With many content projects in the works along with the awesome custom map makers.I can see HoS surpassing Ost in every way if only people would give it a chance ....or as in some cases a second chance.

I honestly believe content is being withheld waiting on RS and we will get a super patch when it comes out! I still have much faith in TWI one of the few devs that has motivations ....not controlled by money hungry publishers.

Upvote 0
Minus the rough start this game has MANY improved features over Ost. While I still love the original its hard for me to play now simple things like the tactical display, the way bolts can reload and bullet penetration etc....the list is too long to type.

This is what I mean. Some features you just can't live without once you used them. Even if you loved the original...

Upvote 0
I too have some nostalgia for older games. Sometimes their sequels don't seem to compare as well to them when I look back.

That is generally because, at the time, I think those particular games were very good/interesting for what they were. Does that mean I want to play them over the newer ones? No, unless I think the sequel stinks. At some point I do get tired and move on and want to play the game with newer graphics and more features.

EX - ROOST my all time favorite game. Does it have the bells and whistles and the nicer graphics/features that ROHOS has? NO. But I have played ROOST to death over the years and I really do like ROHOS. So despite my considering ROOST a better game than ROHOS based on when it was released, I have mostly given up playing it in favor of the newer ROHOS. ROHOS is still a very good game although it is not quite what I had hoped it would be when released.

Upvote 0