• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenades are too quiet....

Oi!Oi!Oi!

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2006
One thing that has been bothering me from the earliest days of RO:OST is how grenades make no sounds whatsoever when they land or bounce on walls.

I seems like most of the time, I get killed by grenades that I didn't see, but should at least have heard.

How come they have no sound effects other than the explosion?

IMO the bouncingsounds should be somewhat louder...its weird that you can hear breathing from enemies that are at least 10 meters away, but almost impossible to hear a grenade bounce of a concrete wall next to you.
Also, i think they should add a smoketrail to the grenade...i believe the fuse on the grenade produced some smoke(ive seen videclips of the stickgrenade with quite a lot of smoke coming out of it).

Upvote 0
It's strange that some can hear them.

Before posting this, I did a couple of tests with headphones and volume cranked way up using different audio modes and I never heard a sound coming from a grenade touching the ground or bouncing on a wall/obstacle.

I really hope it's not a weird issue that depends on the player's audio drivers or sound system. It would suck if it's only some players that can hear grenades while others are unknowingly handicapped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed, the nades landing should be a bit louder, and tanks should be heard across the map. Arad should be constant noise..... IRL a tank moving can be heard on from kilometers away, (Arad is max 2 km's from spawn to spawn) I hate the "ninja" tanks running you over from behind.......The nades landing are quiet, but the tanks are still way to quiet compared to the nades landing and the footsteps........

Upvote 0
then we shouldnt hear footsteps or breathing either....and not pulling a pin from a grenade.

EDIT: And what do you mean by "soft thud"? Sure...if it hits something soft, it would be a soft thud(like soil etc). If it hits metal or something hard, the sound should be a lot louder than it is today(at least if you compare with the other sounds in the game like footsteps, breathing, pulling pin from a F1 grenade...etc)....that is...if we are from the same planet with the same "laws" of physics...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure that it wasn't a smoke grenade?
I have never seen smoke coming out of a grenade - except the smoky ones.

Not modern grenades...think they use a different kind of fuse. The ones they used in WW2 had a fuse that gave off a small amount of smoke. Modern ones seem to use some kind of chemical for the delay, while the old ones usually used black powder that i believe produced smoke.
Dunno if a warmovie is a good reference for this, but if youve seen "The thin red line", you can clearly see the fuse running and producing smoke while "cooking" on some of the grenade scenes.
Its not much smoke though...perhaps not enough to make out a visible smoketrail, but at least when it was on the ground and in the hands of a soldier.

Upvote 0
I think sound they make is not really quiet, check from the editor if you're not convinced :) It usually blends to the usual battle noise though. The thing is, sound should vary from surface to surface to rather than one standart sound.

Also IMO hearing them is %25 of evading them, it's the %75 of seeing them in the air that saves your ***.

Upvote 0
Grenades are a solid, explosive filled, object. Throw a rock. That's pretty much what a grenade sounds like when it hits. Kind of a soft thud. Add a little battle noise in there and you don't hear them hitting. Trust me, I know this from experience.

No sound on grass or dirt, ok, but indoors, no way.

I think sound they make is not really quiet, check from the editor if you're not convinced :) It usually blends to the usual battle noise though. The thing is, sound should vary from surface to surface to rather than one standart sound.

I don't know about the editor, but when tested alone, in practivce mode, they produce no sound. In my RO at least.

Upvote 0
then we shouldnt hear footsteps or breathing either....and not pulling a pin from a grenade.

EDIT: And what do you mean by "soft thud"? Sure...if it hits something soft, it would be a soft thud(like soil etc). If it hits metal or something hard, the sound should be a lot louder than it is today(at least if you compare with the other sounds in the game like footsteps, breathing, pulling pin from a F1 grenade...etc)....that is...if we are from the same planet with the same "laws" of physics...

Look...I've thrown grenades. Most recently with the 101st. Airborne Division..."Air Assault!". Where is your expert background? Go find about a 1 pound rock that's 3 inches across. Throw it around. You can certainly hear other things better. The M67 makes a "ting" sound when you release the spoon, I can't say anything about older grenades, especially the German grenade as it didn't have a spring loaded spoon.

Upvote 0