• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Grenade Poll

Grenade Poll

• Yes! Limit the total number of grenades for each side can use.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Yes! Limit or take grenades from certain non-assaulting classes (mgs, snipers, riflemen, etc.).

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • Yes! Make the flight path of grenades less accurate for long distance throws.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • Yes! Decrease the accuracy of grenades and limit their number for certain non-assualting classes.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • No! Do NOT changes anything about grenades in RO.

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Other (Please post your ideas!)

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters
oh man, is a whole new thread necessary
spanka8cy.gif

you know what I voted for.

Upvote 0
One of things I hated most about DoD was the constant grenade spamming.

Even with FF ON it took place on pub servers when no admins were around to boot the TK's.

I'm starting to see more and more of this as grenades are used as "mortars" or "artillery" to clear an area instead of being used realstically as a tactical weapon to clear a heavily fortified area. And this approach ensures TK's.

One or two infantry opponents usually does not warrant the use of a grenade..that's what you have a gun for.

I for one think I am going to have to start warning careless (accidents will happen) grenade lobbers to watch the TK's and act accordingly.

After all , the objective of RO:O IS NOT to rack up as many kills as you can but to capture objectives.

In fact , I'd even like to see NO points awarded for kills but stricly for completing objectives and then a team award toall players when the team wins the round.

Upvote 0
I've not read the other thread.. but you guys DO know that grenades are limited to two per soldier, right? You can pick up more, but never more than two, and you can't mix them. I'd say that's pretty well limited. Unless you want people to be entirely incapable of picking up grenades, of course. I, personally, can't wait for the hundreds of threads about that if it gets implemented.

I fail to see how being killed by a grenade is any different than being killed by a bullet, really. People are plenty capable of TKing with a rifle. The whole "The grenades! They're using them as MORTARS!" issue would be solved if some field mortars were implemented. (HINT. HINT.)

Even so, if anything, the grenades need to be a bit more useful. A grenade being on the sidewalk, and you being on the street three feet away, probably shouldn't leave you unscathed. At least from a German grenade; it's sort of hard to hide from a concussive blast. I'm not sure if concussive is a word.

fake edit: it is!

Grenades are an actual battlefield threat, on par with a rifle. Particularly during WWII, when you could bet grenades would be flying back and forth like some sort of high-explosive game of badminton. It's going to be pretty amusing when Tripwire fixes the grenades (you guys are doing this right?) and they can start to be used as they should. At least in regards to threads like these.

Upvote 0
I suppose you could reduce the accuracy for long distance throws. It's the most realistic way of doing it really. R/L you can't be as precise about where you throw as you can in a game where it always flies the same way.

But it must be a semi player controlled factor, or very minor. Otherwise it'll be annoying, like cone of fire. That would suck.

I don't think there is a major problem with the grenades in roost currently. Occasionally you get blasted by friendly grenades, but such is life. You get TK'd occasionally anyway and I don't see how a grenade is more annoying than a bullet.

Upvote 0
Nice post Crim.

Still, I see the nade detractors as people who have a problem with dying by nade, and also have a problem with how people are using the weaponry given to them in game, which is does not constitute changing the game. Change your thinking.

It's not anything thats broken... it's just your preference in how you'd like other people to play.

Upvote 0
A grenade being on the sidewalk, and you being on the street three feet away, probably shouldn't leave you unscathed

I actually killed myself with one of my potatoe mashers that I threw at least 40 feet away. I litterly saw it go down a little hill and I was clearly out of range and then BOOM *suicide symbol+Strother* I noticed that the nades can be a little buggy at times.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Nice post Crim.

Still, I see the nade detractors as people who have a problem with dying by nade, and also have a problem with how people are using the weaponry given to them in game, which is does not constitute changing the game. Change your thinking.

It's not anything thats broken... it's just your preference in how you'd like other people to play.

No, it's about eliminating the lame deathmatch tactics. I am actually for making the grenades STRONGER, but having a sensible, per player, per round limit to prevent guys just throwing grenades around like confetti.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem dying by a well placed ,well used grenade.

I am talking about the careless lobbing of them all over the place with the inevitable TK's.

IRL if you were to lob grenades into areas your team mates occupied you'd be up on manslaughter charges along with a dishonorable discharge.

This is a video game so players respawn along with his 2 more grenades but it detracts from the realism aspect which is the primary drawing focus of RO:O.

I have a feeling that some of these players are migrants from DoD used to playing with FF OFF (which is something I detested about DoD and FF OFF - the constant grenade spamming).

Upvote 0
here we go again, trying to make changes on the weaponry to address personal playing issues.

If it's about eliminating TKs, why not reduce the amount of TKs to boot someone on a particular server? Why change the game because you don't like getting killed by a random grenade? Leave TK issues to the server admins, that's why they are there.

BTW any changes to force a player to use a weapon in a certain manner just reeks of looking for an advantage. If i am outgunned by a better player and I get lucky with a nade, all the better for me and my team.

I agree with REZ, it just sounds like people don't like getting killed by nades, so they want the game changed to turn it into a shooting match.

I also haven't seen a solid reason for any change, first it's nade spamming, then it's the throwing accuracy, then it's TKs, and the blast radius, and of course, our old favorite, realism. What is the real issue here? Nades are a part of war, and you can't choose how you will die.

Maybe we should call a waaaaambulance. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The problem is they're unlimited over time. And for each map they're the same. I can see at the beginning of the battle you have many grenades, but as time goes on, supplies run out and you have less and less (making you have to go for ammo -- which there is WAY too much of IMO, but anyway) But that's totally different and really I don't KNOW much about it. I just THINK that's how it should be.

I think the best answer to all this is to randomize the nades we get. Either you get 1 or 2 (I like 0-2 but, I'm compromising here) This will lower the total # of nades on a map but not too much and if you only have one you're going to use it a little more wisely. How's this sound?

Upvote 0
Well, I've yet to play Koitos on the CiA/CoR server, but I will say nades are WAY better than they were in the mod. There's some spamming, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was (so far anyway).

That said, I don't care about altering nade performance. I think the nades perform fine, as long as they're not buggy (which they can be -- it seems like they can cook off in your hand faster than on the ground).

I just want to limit the total number of nades used in the game. As it stands, given the fact that we all respawn and your officer isn't going to shoot you in the head for fragging half your squad, there's no reason NOT to toss your grenades if you have the chance.

I think the guys who need grenades are the Schutze/Streloks, the Strosstruppen/Avtomatiks, and the Schutze mit MK/Avto-streloks. And that's it. The specialized classes (MG, sniper, officer, AT) don't need them. That alone would cut down on the nades and do so in a reasonable way without turning nades into nerf balls.

Upvote 0
I voted others.

First I don't mind if the nades get the more realistic blow radius from the mod back. But for me is very important that the nades get implemented more realistically. That concerns a slower switch from nades to other weapons and vice versa.

Also the accuracy when they are thrown should be altered. I don't want that this is solved randomly, but it should be solved this way that it is harder to control the action. Well I don't like the game Americas Army much, but here the nades are way better implemented for example.

Also a reduction of nades would be good. Either limitation of nades to certain classes and/or no pick up of nades from the ground. I know in real life you could pick them up from the ground. But on the other side this is a game and there must be made compromises. The loadout of nades could also be decided by mappers.

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BeerHunter said:
One of things I hated most about DoD was the constant grenade spamming.

Even with FF ON it took place on pub servers when no admins were around to boot the TK's.

I'm starting to see more and more of this as grenades are used as "mortars" or "artillery" to clear an area instead of being used realstically as a tactical weapon to clear a heavily fortified area. And this approach ensures TK's.

One or two infantry opponents usually does not warrant the use of a grenade..that's what you have a gun for.

I for one think I am going to have to start warning careless (accidents will happen) grenade lobbers to watch the TK's and act accordingly.

After all , the objective of RO:O IS NOT to rack up as many kills as you can but to capture objectives.

In fact , I'd even like to see NO points awarded for kills but stricly for completing objectives and then a team award toall players when the team wins the round.

I have to disagree with you here Beer. At the engagement ranges we play at, grenades were very common and plentiful. I know if I thought I could take out a guy with a grenade without risking being shot, I'd used it. Besides, you learn in short order which areas are prone to nade spam and either avoid them or time it so you go after the spam.

Upvote 0
Because you have less nades, does not mean people are going to use them more wisely.. the two are not connected in any way. Trust me.

The loadout of nades could also be decided by mappers.

I'm glad someone besides me sees how else this can be remedied without bothering the devs to change the game. Leave it to those making the maps to decide the loadouts, or if a server admin wants to run a mutator on his server thats fine too. But randomness is never good, and I still think the default amount of nades is fine. Two at once is hardly too many, certainly not unrealistic.

You guys have to get over the fact that you dont like how people use them... thats not up to you. Period.

Upvote 0