• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Give Berserker ranged Melee

Ihmhi

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
www.asseater.org
Berserker uses melee obviously and typically carries a backup weapon.

How about we go a little Sparta on the Zeds? Give the Berserker Javelins - like the classical spears. Primary attack is a stab, swipe, etc. with them. Secondary attack throws the javelins. Berserker could carry a handful of them - maybe 1 per level, a max of 6-8 at Level 6.

If a Javelin hits, it penetrates like a crossbow bolt but way nastier in the sense of damage. If it misses, it can be recovered just like a crossbow bolt. For challenge, it should have an arc on it just like a grenade from the launchers.

I primarily got this idea from a Source Mod called Age of Chivalry (which is a medieval sort of game - swords, arrows, axes, and whatnot). Playing a Javelin Thrower in that game is fuuuuuuun.

If TW even felt like it, they could just make it modern competition javelins (from Track & Field).

I think it might end up being pretty cool and it would be a nice way to give the Berserker ranged melee. It's no more weird or out of place than having a Katana IMO, what do you guys think?

Heh...and you're the one who told me wielding 2 katana would be impractical because of issues with cutting. But one realistic problem of coding for this begs to be answered. Obviously, javelin's something that can't be thrown straight in. It has to be angled unless of course if you're right in front of them. And the weight of it etc.
Might be better to just have a pike for the range out of bloat's bile.

Upvote 0
Ranged Melee?

Why is everyone so retarded all of a sudden?

The only reason a zerker would need a gun would be for crawlers. How would 4 slow, hard to aim javelins be any use?

Giving the berserker any significant raged abilities would completely remove the point of it being a melee class.

Upvote 0
Heh...and you're the one who told me wielding 2 katana would be impractical because of issues with cutting. But one realistic problem of coding for this begs to be answered. Obviously, javelin's something that can't be thrown straight in. It has to be angled unless of course if you're right in front of them. And the weight of it etc.
Might be better to just have a pike for the range out of bloat's bile.

That discussion was done. Using two katanas, the majority of the benefit lies in being able to do something like, say, attack on two fronts - your left and your right, for instance. Since you only "fire" forward, there's not a good enough reason to do it.

The reason I suggested this is a way as a compromise - to make the Berserker more effective and give him a way to get some kills when he is out of range. Typically I will turn to a target, start heading towards it, and it gets killed a second or two after I start running towards it. This ends up making Berserker mostly running around trying to kill something before someone with a gun takes it out first.

As for how Javelins can be angled, that's not terribly difficult as far as coding goes. You can throw them straight in if you wanted to. If someone is standing 10 feet away from you you can hit them with a thrown javelin with little practice. When they're standing 100 feet away is where things get difficult since it would arc downwards on the travel path so you would have to compensate for the drop over distance.

The coding is not terribly difficult. Setting it up so the thrown projectile travels in an arc (and rotates properly) falls down to a few simple calculations. The typical difficulties in a javelin throw (competition or in combat) - windage, fumbled throw, etc. don't apply in a game. The only thing that would have to be factored in so that it's relatively realistic is the rotation of the javelin and the downward arc.

IMO it would be fun and shore up one of the Berserker's weaknesses.

An equally acceptable compromise would be throwing knives or hatchets.

Upvote 0
OK so let's say you have a Jav or throwing knife and so forth. What are the chances that those will beat the bullets to the target? I'd say berserkers will always be a step behind. I'd like to see throwing axes or knives. Those would be interesting, but within limits to how many you can carry.
I think Berserker should be like the last line of defense. When a Pat comes charging at your teammates, you should be able to repel him or deter him, and that's where I personally feel Berserker is lacking.
Crossbow is sorta like melee...maybe zerkers could have a specialization for it and instead of increased damage, it would have increased knock back effect. Just throwing ideas out.

Upvote 0
I f-ing love this idea! It'd be awesome to have an effective, flexible, in-perk solution such as this. As an avid berserker, I prefer 2 javs per rank, for 12 total at rank 6.

...and they better well do a truckload a' damage for having such a limited quantity.

I think javs penetrating specimens would be kinda goofy, personally. The x-bow has never made sense to me in that regard...

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I'm kind of "yes/no" ing.

The Beserker has always been a melee class, no? Why change that now?

Then again, yes. It IS a melee weapon, and I'm sure, if you had enough, that it would work.

But, say your last Javelin hits a Crawler in a mob. All 4 of your spears are caught in the same mob. Are you really going to risk your life to pick those up so you can risk your life again by doing said thing again?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Qft

Qft

Ranged Melee?

Why is everyone so retarded all of a sudden?

The only reason a zerker would need a gun would be for crawlers. How would 4 slow, hard to aim javelins be any use?

Giving the berserker any significant raged abilities would completely remove the point of it being a melee class.

Yes.... this. They can just buy a gun if they want range.

Upvote 0
Javs shouldn't do a lot of damage just based on the fact that you can only carry a few. Jav doing more damage than shotgun is just plain silly.
Instead, why not one of those sickle on a string the ninjas used? swing it around and extend with the string. might have some damage when drawing in the sickle back.
Or like in david and goliath that sack sling. you would have more ammo, but very slow reload. I think a ton of damage with that would make more sense.

Upvote 0