• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Getting a little bored

HEH! I think one of the most fun things about the game is to hunt down the 'not-willing to learn noobers' and there are quite a few of them lurking about.

Nothing better than to see 4-7 of them running aimlessly across a field and just hosing them with my Panzer :D Chaos ensues, some hit the ground, others start shooting their rifles... if there were an animation for it I'd bet some would get on their knees to pray.

This never gets old! Good times good times.

Mori

Last edited:
Upvote 0
murhis said:
Ehmmm I think exactly counterway. I were _THIS BORED_ for old maps and for 3.3 in general. Infact I'm a bit disapointed because there's still some old "redone" maps. Ok it's ok if someone wants to bring them as custom to OST but IMO every retail maps should have been completely new. But luckily we got rid off ugly old fashioned "fighting-inside-4-walls" maps as Spartakovka, Warsaw, etc. Geez gimme a break no old maps! I've played this game since 2003 when it came very first time to UT2003. SO I DONT FREAKIN WANT TO SEE THEM ANYMORE! :D ie. Berlin from 1.0 and Kaukasus from 1.2... NOOOES! :confused:
Absolutely agree. I was kind of disappointed when I first saw Kaukasus and StalingradKessel on the maplist.

Upvote 0
dunno man, I think the "going back to the mod" crowd is nuts. support what you have, or watch it disappear. there better be a continued healthy mix of infantry, CA, and tank maps, or you'll lose half the measly player base we have.

you wanna go infantry only? your player base will shrink by 30% easy. sure there are inf only servers that are well populated by the same drones playing Odessa every second map (I would rather go to the dentist for a root canal procedure).

you guys are nuts. support the new game, or watch it die. that's kind of the way it is fellas.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
Absolutely agree. I was kind of disappointed when I first saw Kaukasus and StalingradKessel on the maplist.
First off: all new maps = high development cost in time and money, so, that wasn't an option. For a lot of players these 'old' babies would be first timer anyway. So we took what we thought were the best candidates for retail, out of the maps that were were ABLE to port (Danzig wasn't an option, and Jucha wasn't an option either. Both for different reasons, but we just couldn't port them even though we wanted to).

[Sarcasm mode on]
Secondly, i don't want to see the 'spam the alley with nades' box style maps return, or maps with silly objectives like:
- 'Capture this single hallway in this giant 'factory' shaped box in order to take an entire frigging building'.
- 'Sit near this tiny fountain to conquer an entire city square' type objectives and getting showered with nades while doing it making you loose the cap instead of having a straight firefight over it.
- Capture Berlin by capping objectives that are all on the edge of the map, like two strategically unimportant appartment buildings (one of which is -again- a long corridor mainly).

They were good designs for the MOD starting, but not retail style maps, which is logical.
[Sarcasm mode off]

On the other hand, the team likes to see more city style combat in the future too since we see the gap thats there, and Odessa didn't fill that gap quite, so... we'll be working on city enviroments for sure, but they do take some time to finish :)

If you want the old box designs back, port em if you wish or twist some poor mappers arm... there's nobody stopping you ;) And most of them can be recreated in a few days anyway :) Not that i'd want that, but like I said, nobody is stopping you :)

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
[Sarcasm mode on]
Secondly, i don't want to see the 'spam the alley with nades' box style maps return, or maps with silly objectives like:
- 'Capture this single hallway in this giant 'factory' shaped box in order to take an entire frigging building'.
- 'Sit near this tiny fountain to conquer an entire city square' type objectives and getting showered with nades while doing it making you loose the cap instead of having a straight firefight over it.
- Capture Berlin by capping objectives that are all on the edge of the map, like two strategically unimportant appartment buildings (one of which is -again- a long corridor mainly).

They were good designs for the MOD starting, but not retail style maps, which is logical.
[Sarcasm mode off]

So true! I'm very pleased that those maps are gone now!

Upvote 0
Not at all. I have missed playing the Mod. There is no reason to think otherwise.
I have also been playing the Mod last couple nights and really having fun.
The maps are boring me, they dont have the same excitment factor as some of the mod maps did.

Its quite simple to understand. In the mod I would spend a lot of hours playing and in Osfront I am rarely touching it.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
First off: all new maps = high development cost in time and money, so, that wasn't an option. For a lot of players these 'old' babies would be first timer anyway. So we took what we thought were the best candidates for retail, out of the maps that were were ABLE to port (Danzig wasn't an option, and Jucha wasn't an option either. Both for different reasons, but we just couldn't port them even though we wanted to).

[Sarcasm mode on]

[Sarcasm mode off]

On the other hand, the team likes to see more city style combat in the future too since we see the gap thats there, and Odessa didn't fill that gap quite, so... we'll be working on city enviroments for sure, but they do take some time to finish :)

If you want the old box designs back, port em if you wish or twist some poor mappers arm... there's nobody stopping you ;) And most of them can be recreated in a few days anyway :) Not that i'd want that, but like I said, nobody is stopping you :)

The thing is , Sasquatch, there's now a new "linearity in almost all the new maps which were, in some other dev's words "to promote teamwork". But what about the fun? Take koitos for example, i saw the most teamwork on that map and i had the most laughs plus it was played many a time in a clan match.
There's nothing like thinking you've won the round whilst capping the final objective only to find out the enemy team just capped an objective which you had left behind in all the rush.
Like Steven said (I'm pretty sure it was steven) supposedly bad points in a map give the map its name. "the nade spam alleyway" was a thing which gave Sparta it's originality, the hectic nades and stabs in warsaw ( and its spawn times) gave that map its reputation and so forth.

Upvote 0
Jono said:
The thing is , Sasquatch, there's now a new "linearity in almost all the new maps which were, in some other dev's words "to promote teamwork". But what about the fun? Take koitos for example, i saw the most teamwork on that map and i had the most laughs plus it was played many a time in a clan match.
There's nothing like thinking you've won the round whilst capping the final objective only to find out the enemy team just capped an objective which you had left behind in all the rush.
Like Steven said (I'm pretty sure it was steven) supposedly bad points in a map give the map its name. "the nade spam alleyway" was a thing which gave Sparta it's originality, the hectic nades and stabs in warsaw ( and its spawn times) gave that map its reputation and so forth.
Thing is, i can understand that from an organized (clan or competetive play) point of view it cool to have fully recappable objectives etc. I like to design maps like that.

The bad design flaws of the maps you mention (especially Spartakova) however are just that, design flaws. They can give a map a cool name, but they don't give it cool gameplay. Trowing nades as the prime gameplay tactic to win or loose a map isn't gameplay to me anyway, and i vividly recall the complaining about that during the mod days.

Koitos is a map that i can appreciate, even though it was on the edge of 'tactical' to me, it was the Mod's custom run and gun scenario :)

Basically where it boils down to is that you guys miss, and let me write it down for you:

- small scale 'fast' pased city combat.

Like i said, the team sees the gap there and we will be looking into filling that gap. But I'd rather have some well designed new small scale city maps then revived 'old style' ones with their silly objectives and nadespam only gameplay where there's 4 nades thrown for every bullet shot :)

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Thing is, i can understand that from an organized (clan or competetive play) point of view it cool to have fully recappable objectives etc. I like to design maps like that.

The bad design flaws of the maps you mention (especially Spartakova) however are just that, design flaws. They can give a map a cool name, but they don't give it cool gameplay. Trowing nades as the prime gameplay tactic to win or loose a map isn't gameplay to me anyway, and i vividly recall the complaining about that during the mod days.

Koitos is a map that i can appreciate, even though it was on the edge of 'tactical' to me, it was the Mod's custom run and gun scenario :)

Basically where it boils down to is that you guys miss, and let me write it down for you:

- small scale 'fast' pased city combat.

Like i said, the team sees the gap there and we will be looking into filling that gap. But I'd rather have some well designed new small scale city maps then revived 'old style' ones with their silly objectives and nadespam only gameplay where there's 4 nades thrown for every bullet shot :)

So what your saying is that people here want COD 2 maps?

no thanks, i left CoD 2 cause of it gayness.

Upvote 0
Who mentioned CoD maps? If that's what you read here then I dunno. I have never played CoD but I have played the Mod, albeit from 3.0. As Jono mentioned above, maps like Koitos and Danzig were the "backbone" of RO. I know guys complain about them being overplayed, but you gotta ask "why?". The reason is simple, we liked to play them. If Warsaw or Koitos was voted for every third map, that's because a) the mapvote was not setup correctly ;) or b) people loved playing them.

I remember |Ez25| played 13th on Koitos in a Ladder match.... it was one of the maddest battles we had! Also we played {Core} on Warsaw... that also was a long drawn-out blood fest. They rank amongst the best games we have ever had.

And don't get me started on the new bayo stabs... stab, stab, stab, injury, stab, stab, stab... dead.

Upvote 0