• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics German MGs!

I'm an MG natural. I will got over 100's while the same range scores are from people with SMG's a rifles. I can hit a guy going prone from 300-350 metres, accurately and hit him. I will supress, move up, and kill. I am a one man squad. It is much, much easier for me to be an MGer than a rifleman, and I make enemy snipers' lives hard. I'm not bragging, I have won games by finding, fixing, flanking, unless I'm the defensive.

Quite contrary to your case, I find the DP28 hard to handle, inaccurate, slow moving, to cumbersome for my liking. I never use it. I never use the semi auto on the 34 either. Doesn't supress enough.

Aside: you can't lean on a particular wall on danzig and it doesn't click when you run out of ammo when you semiauto fire on the 34.

42>all. I <3 MG42.

Just curious: What screen size and resolution do you use? I myself is running a 17" TFT on 1280x1024 and I have a suspicsion that higher resolutions on larger screens provides for better accuracy and longer effective ranges. For comparison: On my screen I would say that with ironsights for both MG's and boltaction rifles my present effective engagement range is about 200-250 meters but that was after I altered my resolution from 800x640 (effective range 150 meters) to the present setting 1280x1024 and that is why I am curious to know if you are running on higher settings.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
I don't remember mowing you down or playing MG42 on Snowy. I do remeber killing you with a bolt once.

Oh yes and, whenever I am MG, my score goes UP not down.
Maybe I am confusing you with someone else... and maybe it was on KurlandKessel, I am not sure to be honest. Your name is similar to the guy who pwnd me with the MG 42 at least :p

Which is a very impressive feat, I am a great shot with rifles.

That said, my score goes up when I use the 34 or 42 as well, I don't get those people who say you probably will end up with a low score.

Upvote 0
I indeed use a 42 on Kurland Kessel once, but I don't remember shooting you personally, though I think I saw you.

What are the ranges on Kaukusus? I got three guys in the head, with only their head exposed when I was shooting from the stonehedge on the left or the kraut spawn. I got another two lying down and one that was running, and one that was peaking around a corner. On the other side by the mortar, where ivan likes to spam nades, I got one pronging, one running across, one proning on the wall, and when with only his head exposed. I was lying down low by the halftrack. Then I got a guy in a position surrounded by sandbags, halfway up the slope to the mortar, and then two more crouching behind the wodden fences.

For the courtyard to stonehedge, my guesses for the distances are about ~300 metres, the ivan nade spam area, about 150-200 metres, but the guy in the sandbag position about 100 metres.

One thing about the stonehedge, is that a lot of people like to shoot there and the riflemen are pretty accurate, but I like to hide in the bush, but my tracers usually give me away. Kill before they kill you is my doctrine whenever I find myself in such a pickle.

I'm getting better with the DP, I can't accuraetly hipshoot with it, and it's pretty accurate for 100 metres and less. Can hit much a farther than that. Would have to use a 42.

On a side note, road_to_hill_b4 gives me a good advantage with the 42 because of the large distances. Got a few guys, picked a Dp and couldn't hit a guy standing.

Upvote 0
I indeed use a 42 on Kurland Kessel once, but I don't remember shooting you personally, though I think I saw you.

What are the ranges on Kaukusus? I got three guys in the head, with only their head exposed when I was shooting from the stonehedge on the left or the kraut spawn. I got another two lying down and one that was running, and one that was peaking around a corner. On the other side by the mortar, where ivan likes to spam nades, I got one pronging, one running across, one proning on the wall, and when with only his head exposed. I was lying down low by the halftrack. Then I got a guy in a position surrounded by sandbags, halfway up the slope to the mortar, and then two more crouching behind the wodden fences.

For the courtyard to stonehedge, my guesses for the distances are about ~300 metres, the ivan nade spam area, about 150-200 metres, but the guy in the sandbag position about 100 metres.

One thing about the stonehedge, is that a lot of people like to shoot there and the riflemen are pretty accurate, but I like to hide in the bush, but my tracers usually give me away. Kill before they kill you is my doctrine whenever I find myself in such a pickle.

I'm getting better with the DP, I can't accuraetly hipshoot with it, and it's pretty accurate for 100 metres and less. Can hit much a farther than that. Would have to use a 42.

On a side note, road_to_hill_b4 gives me a good advantage with the 42 because of the large distances. Got a few guys, picked a Dp and couldn't hit a guy standing.

From courtyard to the shepards hut is about 200 meters. Courtyard to Ruins is about 100 meters.

Upvote 0

I guess you just have to get the "feeling" of DP. I can reliably hit jerries in 1st line with DP from 2nd line trenches in Berezina. Two or three kills in relatively quick row aren't rare.

Upvote 0
I prefer the MG34 over MG42 alot of the times. The Single Shot mode for the 34 makes it very accurate, and you can hipshoot with it, making it useful in close range. It doesn't overheat often.

The Mg42 runs out of ammo too fast, and overheating makes me a sitting duck as I change the barrel. You have to shoot a large burst of fire to hit a target, with 34, it only takes 1.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All I use now is the 34. I usually spend most of my time covering objectives, and supporting the team, but even still my score is on par with the cappers for most of the game. I love the single shot and hip mode on the 34. I got a guy all the way across the HQ square on odessa with a single shot, and I am able to hit hipshot burst very often. I use the MG34 for everything, assault, suppresion,area denial, and the most amusing counter sniping l33t zaitsev wannabes. DP-28 is less accurate but still amusing. I hate the mg42s cone of fire. If i was firing at a clocks center with an mg42 my first would hit 12oclock, my next 3/4s of the way to the 4 and the 3rd at 8, every single time. Thats if the sights are on target, which is the case only 50% of the time when I use the 42

Upvote 0
to be honest, i dont know what in the world made the 42 that lethal, could it be that its a point accurate weapon?

possibly, if you want facts, its the first gas operated MG on the battlefield ever. yeah, many would argue, but by definition it uses not only the recoil to reload.

mean its a MG, not a MP, with a casual caliber, bipod, and another way of clip.

the MG42 is a machine gun, compared to the 34 it was that far advanced and at the same time simplyfied its almost suprising its main desing is still in use after 60 years, isnt it?

after all, video games can never reflect the reality, yet, we may see how it turns out, so the devs cant do much about it. and i wont argue with the 34 faction, cause i also know it would take month to build up a squad that could actually work to bring a MG in the flank and support it there, as it was/is a common behave.

Upvote 0
Just curious: What screen size and resolution do you use? I myself is running a 17" TFT on 1280x1024 and I have a suspicsion that higher resolutions on larger screens provides for better accuracy and longer effective ranges. For comparison: On my screen I would say that with ironsights for both MG's and boltaction rifles my present effective engagement range is about 200-250 meters but that was after I altered my resolution from 800x640 (effective range 150 meters) to the present setting 1280x1024 and that is why I am curious to know if you are running on higher settings.
Thank you.

Hell. Yes.

17" TFT @ 1280 x 1024 to 20" TFT @ 1680 x 1050 is a massive difference.
Much easier to see the longer range targets, at least for me.

Upvote 0