• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German magical AT rifle

Krator

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Red Orchestra 2 - Live-Demo - w. Tony Gillham - Games-Panorama HD - YouTube

- as we can see in this video, the rifle is supposed to "damage" the tank while firing at its 45mm slightly angled lower side hull.
My question (and concern) is: why does this weapon penetrate T34 side? I don't know of any WW2 AT rifle capable of penetrating armor this thick, maybe the more powerful Solothurn, but its not in game. Or was 14,5mm bullet THAT powerful (something I don't know about)?
And what is this weapon? It seems semi auto, 4-5 shot. PTRS?
It also seems that we won't see any german-specific AT weapon (rifle grenades)... Maybe in the future?

Last edited:
- as we can see in this video, the rifle is supposed to "damage" the tank while firing at its 45mm slightly angled lower side hull.
My question (and concern) is: why does this weapon penetrate T34 side? I don't know of any WW2 AT rifle capable of penetrating armor this thick, maybe the more powerful Solothurn, but its not in game.
And what is this weapon? It seems semi auto, 4-5 shot. PTRS? It shouldn't be capable of doing any damage then.
It also seems that we won't see any german-specific AT weapon (rifle grenades), just another "balanced" AT rifle.

14.5mm can penetrate up to 40mm of armour at up to 100m. He is able to damage it at that range I should think.

Yes, it is a PTRS, or in the German Army, PzB 784(r).

Upvote 0
I believe he is aiming for the ammo store inside the tank.

Int1383.jpg

Upvote 0
He said that he damaged that tank. And since russian PTRD can easily penetrate Pz IV side, then what is german "answer" to this? Run those 100m and use a magnetic mine? Good luck with this. In DH people won't let you get that close to the tank 90% of the time, and RO players aren't less intelligent than them I guess.

And that tank was slightly angled and its armor is 45mm, so no penetration here IMO. Remember, that "40mm at 100m" usually means, that 50% of bullets penetrated such armor. Adding another 5mm and an angle would result in a huge drop in effectiveness.

And yes, I know its a game, but this game is about WW2 combat. If we ignore how weapons and tanks really worked, its not a WW2 shooter any more, just some "war game" and we can as well shoot lasers from time to time ;)

And how are you supposed to damage the tracks? They are what, 40cm thick? Good luck with that. Those are russian tracks, designed to survive all kinds of damage. They have several "linking points", so you would have to destroy the track at most of its width to detrack the tank. Same with german tracks BTW. Such tactic would work against sherman tank though. I mean, yes, you can detrack the tank with PTRD, but its just very hard to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what do we have in this game so far? Seems everything has some kind of name to be attached to it... the Axis side is equipped with English speaking MkB42 Swat Ninja Germans with Magical AT Rifles and UAV Recon planes?

Don't like the game?
Don't buy it.

Upvote 0
And yes, I know its a game, but this game is about WW2 combat. If we ignore how weapons and tanks really worked, its not a WW2 shooter any more, just some "war game" and we can as well shoot lasers from time to time
i agree, and i add that everyone should only get one life throughout the game. die once, dump the game in the garbage can, you can never play again (til you buy another copy under a false name).
afterall, realism is everything!

Upvote 0
Wow...makes you wonder how any Russian tanks were destroyed at all...:rolleyes:

If you REALLY want to get realistic about it, Russian tank crews all the way to Stalingrad were notoriously ill-trained compared to their German counterparts. A loud bang like that, even with no to minimum armor penetration would have probably been enough for them to bail out, or at the very least believe they were under heavy enough fire to bugger out. I guess you could just give all German Pionieren pocket 88's...:D

However, since that really isn't an option and like mentioned before...this is a game.

Upvote 0
And yes, I know its a game, but this game is about WW2 combat. If we ignore how weapons and tanks really worked, its not a WW2 shooter any more, just some "war game" and we can as well shoot lasers from time to time ;)...

a game... not a simulator, things have to be as real as posible but within certain boundaries of "balance". it should be fun for BOTH teams.

Upvote 0
it might be possible that devs slightly deviate from real penetration values to balance things out and attract teh kids to RO2 and when they play the game they won't be like ZOMG MY ANTI TANK RIFLE DOES NOTHING TO THIS TANK, THIS GAME SUCKS 11!11!

111sun.jpg

Imdissapoint

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 2 - Live-Demo - w. Tony Gillham - Games-Panorama HD - YouTube

My question (and concern) is: why does this weapon penetrate T34 side? I don't know of any WW2 AT rifle capable of penetrating armor this thick, maybe the more powerful Solothurn, but its not in game. Or was 14,5mm bullet THAT powerful (something I don't know about)?
And what is this weapon? It seems semi auto, 4-5 shot. PTRS?
It also seems that we won't see any german-specific AT weapon (rifle grenades)... Maybe in the future?

Notice how he said "at this range I'm probably not going to do too much damage" and he didn't.

So does RO2 have these halftracks ect. ?
Not at release, but it will with the free updates later.

Upvote 0