• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General feelings about the game.

G_Sajer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Minnesota
I like it a little more every time I play it. I've gotten somewhat skilled at shooting down aircraft. I realize there are still some teething problems to be ironed out, but overall the game essentially balanced and fun from any perspective. It's going to be a keeper for me.

The game is ... Meh... i don't get excited nor i get really bored i can play for couple hours per day but thats it. Its just that i liked the gamestyle of ro1/ro2 and since i can't find it on other games rising storm 2 will be fine for now. But it doesn't feel like a new game to me, it feels like an expansion to rs1. Same bugs same performance issues... Game still uses 1 core... I wouldn't consider the gfx engine unreal3.5 like they said it seems like a game for consoles. I believe they took ro2/rs1 reskinned into rs2 and that's about it i can say it's a 30-40% improvement over rs1... well i can rant all day thats about it

Upvote 0
I like the game for the most part but Coming from playing a lot of EA games where they push out a game half finished and then spend 3 years trying to fix all the issues I am somewhat disappointed at some of the really bad issues.

1. Major game breaking bugs- Two that I ran into that I would consider game breaking.
So far 5 times this has happened. My team captures a point and we need to get to the next one only for half the map to become out of combat area and the point we need to cap to win is in that area and we can't even use any weapons so we lose even if we have more points. Also, at least 2 times that I know of my team had 90% of the flags the whole game and when the match ended had almost triple the points but yet it gives the win to the enemy team and it's not even a tiebreaker.

2. Movement is very clunky you get stuck on the dumbest things or get stuck trying to stand up from going prone and you just sit there going up and down. Vaulting over objects also sometimes gets you stuck I have countless times started vaulting over a fence or something and just get stuck where I can't move or toss into the air.

3. Hit detection and I am talking about where you are shooting a man from less than 10 meters and can see blood fly yet do no damage. I had an incident where a guy caught me cold and was the first to fire he hit me once and somehow fired at least 3 more shots before I was able to kill him. By all rights, I should have been the one dead his first shot got me where I needed to bandage but his next 3 shots did not even register and he was using an m14 or something like that standing less than about 5 meters from me. I have been on both sides of this and it really needs to be addressed.

4.In my opinion, they needed to add more maps or something as you get tired of playing the same maps over and over. Also not too happy having to do vote map with so little maps to play sometimes you get the same maps almost none stop. I would like maybe a rotation and then after they add more maps do the voting.

5. Vote kicking There should be a limit to how many times in a certain period you can vote kick. I'm so tired of the spam where someone is trying to kick someone 1000 times just because they want the kit they have or and enemy spamming the kick button because the dude on the other team is doing really well. Also, only people on your team should be allowed to vote kick someone on your team. The enemy should not be allowed to vote to kick someone on your team.

6. Issues with suppression. Let's take for example I am in a tunnel there are guys above me fighting I am getting suppressed by them shooting at my teammates up top yet I am in a tunnel below them and they are not shooting at me yet I get those little white marks and my gun jerks around and my vision kind of blurs because of suppression. How can I get suppression when I am not even being shot at!

7. Countless times I will be in the center of a building and somehow a spooky is still able to shoot me while in the cement and mortar building. I am inside the building I should be in cover from that. At least twice I was in a bunker underground and still killed by it. Not to mention messed up sounds from it and sometimes I fall over dead with no sound not even the sound of the spooky being in the air.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
cronogr;n2297085 said:
The game is ... Meh... i don't get excited nor i get really bored i can play for couple hours per day but thats it. Its just that i liked the gamestyle of ro1/ro2 and since i can't find it on other games rising storm 2 will be fine for now. But it doesn't feel like a new game to me, it feels like an expansion to rs1. Same bugs same performance issues... Game still uses 1 core... I wouldn't consider the gfx engine unreal3.5 like they said it seems like a game for consoles. I believe they took ro2/rs1 reskinned into rs2 and that's about it i can say it's a 30-40% improvement over rs1... well i can rant all day thats about it

You're complaining about it being too similar to RO2.

But are also complaining about it being too different from RO2.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2297124 said:
You're complaining about it being too similar to RO2.

But are also complaining about it being too different from RO2.

Well i was w8ing for a guy like u to criticize my opinion. To conclude the game feels like a reskinned version of ro2/rs1 and the price they charge reflects to it, it's not something special, and it's not a huge improvement from the previous games. They wer saying things about unreal 3.5 yet now they say the game uses old tech and we can't improve the performance etc etc. It's an ok game for 10$ - 20$ thats all to it, but even some indie games are better... with half the cost ! Anyway i support the company that made ro1 but that doesn't mean i wont criticize them and complain about this game.

Upvote 0
cronogr;n2297149 said:
Well i was w8ing for a guy like u to criticize my opinion. To conclude the game feels like a reskinned version of ro2/rs1 and the price they charge reflects to it, it's not something special, and it's not a huge improvement from the previous games. They wer saying things about unreal 3.5 yet now they say the game uses old tech and we can't improve the performance etc etc. It's an ok game for 10$ - 20$ thats all to it, but even some indie games are better... with half the cost ! Anyway i support the company that made ro1 but that doesn't mean i wont criticize them and complain about this game.

Well yes I've done my fair share of criticising. Started whole threads and everything.

I just didn't understand your particular criticism.

Upvote 0
I enjoy it a lot, and I expect to put in another 500 hours over the next few years like I did with RO2. Having said that, I feel RS2 somewhat struggles to justify its release as a full game rather than just another expansion. Voice acting quality is noticeably below that of RO2, reused animations abound, SFX quality is inconsistent, hit detection is questionable, I get stuck on terrain rather often, and I still battle the "prone>crouch>prone" bug that got me killed so many times in RO2. Map variety is lacking quite a bit, I would hope to see more maps released in an update rather than as DLC. If someone were to plop me in front of this game with no prior knowledge of it and told me it was early access, I would probably believe them. The game is priced modestly however, which to me is definitely the right choice. If this game was priced higher the issues I have with it would be much more annoying.

The positives for the game are the positives from RO2. Core gameplay is still right up my niche alley, I like the community for the most part, and the game is just fun. I enjoy the high stakes combat a lot, and I feel like RS2, similar to RO2 will have a relatively high skill ceiling where there's always that little bit of room for improvement. I also quite like the cosmetics they've added to the game, it allows a bit of personality to come through which is interesting. My VC guy looks vastly different than NVA and thusly I think of them in slightly different ways. That's probably just my RPG roots coming out though.

Despite any problems I have with the game I still enjoy it a lot. I also don't know the financial situation Tripewire was in making the game, but it's safe to assume compromises were made. This latest update did a lot to encourage me that they'll continue to improve on the game as time goes on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO and RS games come with their own frustration when compared to other team based shooters out there, but I enjoy the RS2: Vietnam quite a lot. I would not say no to more team oriented roles and introduction of maps with land vehicles. It would be nice to have medic class which could revive some down players (except maybe headshot or heart shot killed) as it is in Arma and Squad. On other hand RO/RS was never this kind of team based shooter so I doubt this will change.

Upvote 0
Am i the only one feeling that the game does not really have hit registration issues but we got toned down damage for rifles? SO MANY TIMES i shoot someone with a Mosin Nagant, M14, SKS and they just keep on running, even after shooting them THREE TIMES! What if there is no hit reg issues and the game has just been catered to the COD/BF crowd.

Upvote 0
Sgt.NightFire;n2298406 said:
Am i the only one feeling that the game does not really have hit registration issues but we got toned down damage for rifles? SO MANY TIMES i shoot someone with a Mosin Nagant, M14, SKS and they just keep on running, even after shooting them THREE TIMES! What if there is no hit reg issues and the game has just been catered to the COD/BF crowd.

You are not alone, i was pointing this out from the beta days that the game feels more towards cod/bf my guess is that they try to appeal to a wider audience but duh with 2-3k people online it failed.

Upvote 0
I really do enjoy the game and how immersive it can be, coming from someone totally new to the RO/RS genre. I've never really played a shooter this realistic and I like the setting. I have a number of frustrating issues though.

Oftentimes an enemy and I will run into each other at like 1-10m distance, I'll aim center mass and get 3-4 rounds off before he points his weapon in an instant and kills me with his first bullet. This doesn't happen constantly, but at times I feel like I'm in a game where everyone but me is using aimbot. Just yesterday I had someone sneak up behind me and shoot me in the side with a shotgun, but I guess he missed so I turned and killed him. So I don't know if that's a ping issue, a hit detection issue or what. I've also opened up into someone's back and seen numerous pink mists, but they just turn and kill me in one shot and don't need to even bandage.

Speaking of hit detection, I feel like the hit boxes on most objects that you'll put your gun up against are way too large. It's like my rounds are hitting the object I'm steadying the gun on before they even leave the barrel.

Based on what people are saying on the forums, people will probably disagree with me, but to me it seems like the Vietnamese generally have an advantage. On the maps where the North is defending, it's easy to find a cheesy camping spot in foliage or around a corner and gun down Americans as they run right by you towards the objective. As the Americans I feel like we're just funneling into a meat grinder. This isn't always the case and it's usually due to the positioning of the point. Attacking C on Hue City is just as much a nightmare as defending E on Hill 937 (at least defending E on Hill is over quickly, since the position has virtually no good firing positions, the Americans come right over the ridge like 2-3m from the trenches). I feel like the Americans have to rely on being more coordinated; defending is just easier.

I don't know how I'm supposed to be able to play as anything other than grunt/rifleman since the other roles are always taken. I really don't mind being a standard dude, but if I wanna use an RPG or a PPSh or machinegun I need to salvage it from a corpse. Because I never get to practice with the other weapons, I figure that someone else would be able to use it better, so I don't even bother trying to change roles anymore.

AC-47 can kill you with a silent minigun while you're underground. Clearly when someone uses an AC-47, it just puts down a big kill zone where you have an x% chance to die every few seconds; the sounds (if any) obviously do not represent any danger and you might as well just sprint through the kill zone rather than duck and take cover, which is what I would do when I was first playing the game. Just like the AC-47, the fire you see as a result of a napalm strike is only a dubious representation; danger exists for a couple seconds after the fire disappears. I've also noticed that artillery shells seem have an x% chance to land right on top of you if you're anywhere in the artillery barrage kill zone; not all shells just land randomly, unlike napalm or the AC-47 though, the explosions from artillery directly represent damage and cant' hit you when you're underground, so there's that at least.

I tried using a rifle instead of an assault rifle once and I was very disappointed. If an assault rifle can one shot someone at over 100m, can fire quicker, has more rounds and reloads faster, what's the point of a rifle exactly? Obviously I could use more experience using a rifle; maybe they're better at long ranges? But most engagements are at short to medium range anyway.

I almost always have to ask for a squad tunnel. That's not the game's fault though.

I'd like to have something to grind for. I'm slowly gaining levels as I play but it doesn't mean anything if all it unlocks is clothing. Would be neat if you could get new guns or details like leafs or playing cards, peace signs on your helmet, or even customize your weapon.

Upvote 0
G_Sajer;n2297050 said:
I like it a little more every time I play it. I've gotten somewhat skilled at shooting down aircraft. I realize there are still some teething problems to be ironed out, but overall the game essentially balanced and fun from any perspective. It's going to be a keeper for me.

id concur and state id never get a refund for it.
and yet i would like to state that the weapons NEED re-balancing i cannot stand shooting people with the vc weps abd watching them not give two ****s or missing a shot i would have made with the m16 but blatantly miss with the ak and sks. m14 sight needs to be redone as well basically jsut bring the ak to par with the m16 and call it quits i can survive with that. hit reg of course. now if anyone can ***** its me i very regularly score 100+ kills a match but only if i play as a usa soldier the whole match the moment i switch to the vc my kills get halved and my deaths increase 3x there have been so many times where i get 3 shots off in the span of an enemy sighting in and hit all 3 only to be killed by a single m16 shot to my shin...

Upvote 0